Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement Ring Time!!! Going to NYC. Where to buy?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Time for me to ask this question: where to buy an engagement ring in NYC? I have about a month there so should be good to visit plenty of shops.

Please please please send me to a good place and some tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I got mrs veetwin her ring at Hanikens on 47th Street. This was on the recommendation of a friend who is cabin crew at Aer Lingus. Apparently loads of AL girls buy their jewellery there.

http://www.haniken.com

Can't complain about the quality of the ring or the price compared to prices here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Do the research in a place like Tiffany's and then once you know what you want (4cs wise) do the buying on 47th street

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The Diamond District in NYC is located on 47th street, between 5th and 6th. I sent there 10 years ago looking for a ring and came away disappointed. Stores full of people sitting in the windows looking at what you were looking at and then holding them up closer for you to see, lots of hard selling and very few places that seemed to offer anything in the way of advise. We ended up getting the perfect ring in Ireland :)

My suggestion would be to know your stuff and read up on color, clarity, carets, etc... before going over. Decide on what you want in terms of those factors and then match them with the ring that looks like the one you want.

Have an idea too of online prices. There's a lot of choice over here but we found it to be much more expensive than in Ireland, the UK or France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Yes 47th street is called the Diamond District, that the place to go. Google it. Don't be put off by the hasidic jews there, they really are nice and know their stuff. You have haggle a bit with them over the price. Got my wife's ring there 18 years ago this month and we're still going strong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Tiffany's of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

FatherTed wrote: »
    You have haggle a bit with them over the price. Got my wife's ring there 18 years ago this month and we're still going strong :p

Yes, you have to be ready for a different buying experience than at home. People will be standing in front of their stores, trying to get you indoors and haggling is standard. Just ignore the people who walk up to you asking if you want to sell any gold :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I love haggling. One of the biggest things I miss about New York.

Advertisement