Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how is my current account balance updated? Visa debit transactions. Totally Fed up.

Options
  • 18-10-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there, I seem to be periliously close to going into the red yet again. How is my account updated? When I looked at my balance on Tuesday I had 107 euro. Now I seem to be paying 4 overlimit items, 1 unpaid charge and when I checked now, I have a grand total of 24 euro after getting paid. I'm at my wits end with this, I don't earn a great deal and I do keep checking my balance, but it never ever seems to be accurate. Last time I spoke to a BOI rep I was fobbed off with 'it can take several days for the system to update accurately'. What good is that to anyone? I expect that when I use my debit card and it is authorised that the money is in my account and then it is taken from me. I should not have to be doing calculations about whether the money has been taken from my account or not, and how much I do or don't have. Can someone please sort out this situation as I am getting fed up with paying fees to a bank that is not doing what I'm paying for.Not to mention the outrageous charges for going over limit when I've no idea why.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi pedrodrogheda, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.ie

Card transactions are updated on an account when they are processed by the retailer.
    We have no control over the length of time a retailer takes to process a transaction.

BOI ATM withdrawals will appear on your statement straight away.
    ATM withdrawals made at other banks may not show on your account straight away.

Visa Debit point of sale transactions will appear on your statement, as and when the retailer, fully processes the transaction. Some retailers may not fully process a transaction for a number of days.

The 365 mobile app was introduced to help keep track of banking on the go and can be downloaded here 

We do not have access to account details at this department however if you need to query fees and charges on your account, please call your branch. A full list of branch contact numbers can be found here

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I agree with op.

AIB (I think its them), have two balances on their online banking.
    One of these balances shows you exactly whats left for spending.

I have no idea why BOI cant just implement this simple, but great idea.

EDIT
    Its permanent tsb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I had the exact same problem with AIB and have just switched to Permanent TSB to avail of their lower charges (no charges if you are depositing €1500 per month into your account). Was really simple and I have heard nothing but praise for their accounts when doing research to switch. 
    PTSB have balance and "available" balance and apparently its kept more up to date. I'd had enough of being mortified when I went to the shop and having my card refused even though I had available funds. 
    Just switch OP. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Shane-KornSpace, 

Thanks for posting.

When making a payment on Banking 365 Online, the system will show you 'available funds' and this is what you can spend. 

I will pass your comments on to the Development team. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pedrodrogheda

Mince Pie wrote: »
    I had the exact same problem with AIB and have just switched to Permanent TSB to avail of their lower charges (no charges if you are depositing €1500 per month into your account). Was really simple and I have heard nothing but praise for their accounts when doing research to switch. 
    PTSB have balance and "available" balance and apparently its kept more up to date. I'd had enough of being mortified when I went to the shop and having my card refused even though I had available funds. 
    Just switch OP. 

thanks everyone, I think that switching is the only way, the bank has left me high and dry on too many occasions now. I really don't understand why they cannot ringfence funds that have been approved and remove them from the available balance...it is such a simple thing and would solve this problem in one fell swoop. PTSB here I come [quite reluctantly I must say after being a customer of BOI for 20 odd years. Never had this problem with the old Laser card]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimb43

hey pedro  ,  don't worry   BILLY and his pals  love it when they snatch 25 from ya, as its good business for them,  but if you don't mind me saying, " Now you know how people feel when there dole money don't turn up."   its not nice is it.  :mad:  

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Welcome to Permanent TSB. Home of sneaky overdraft charges and other penalties. They appear to do everything for free to your face, while they are robbing you behind your back. Let your account go slightly in the red and see how you get on. They're a bank so they have to make their money somehow. At least Bank Of Ireland are upfront with their charges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Welcome to Permanent TSB. Home of sneaky overdraft charges and other penalties. They appear to do everything for free to your face, while they are robbing you behind your back. Let your account go slightly in the red and see how you get on. They're a bank so they have to make their money somehow. At least Bank Of Ireland are upfront with their charges

How is that different to any other bank? They ALL charge if you go slightly in the red. At least I know that if I go into the red I will get charged, I DO have an issue with charges for just using my account and not being aware of just how much is going to be taken.
    Coupled with not being up to date with available balance and many other issues I am more than happy with changing to PTSB. And researching the difference in how the banks are viewed by the consumer I think many others would agree. 

Advertisement