Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify

• 18-10-2013 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Is it worth it?

Hi all, I am a subscriber to Spotify and I absolutely adore it yet my friends and some family members think its a waste of money.

Does anyone else have it and what do you think?

Does anyone think its a rip off?

Cheers!

Is Spotify worth it? 151 votes

Yes
    1% 3 votes
    No
    98% 148 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Get out and buy some CDs. Use the non-premium Spotify for background music and / or to see what you like before buying it.

Artists get sweet feck all from Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

Surely if the artists didn't want us to listen to their music on Spotify they would ask to be taken off it?

I pay €10 a month to listen to what I like and when I like.

Society is forever looking for cheap deals or wondering if they can get something a little less expensive somewhere else.

Is using Spotify not the same? Finding the same product at a better price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

its a damned pity people are more concerned about getting cheap music than they are about supporting musicians. Spotify should be taken down and shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Get out and buy some CDs. Use the non-premium Spotify for background music and / or to see what you like before buying it.

Artists get sweet feck all from Spotify.

They get approximately 40 times more per listener than they do from radio, so that's not exactly true.

Personally I think it's totally worth it. I've discovered so many new tracks and artists through it, and it's so handy to be able to listen to any track whenever you like.

Blisterman wrote: »
    They get approximately 40 times more per listener than they do from radio, so that's not exactly true.

they do? Can you back that up with anything? Plus does radio let you listen to a tune whenever you want and download an offline playlist? no - I didnt think it did.

• Advertisement

I can't find the source where it said 40 times, but according to this it's 16 times higher:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/07/17/spotify-royalties-appear-to-be-awfully-high-despite-what-thom-yorke-says/

A lot of radio websites let you save programmes to listen to offline. And even if you listen to an offline playlist on Spotify, the artist gets paid every time you listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

I can't find the source where it said 40 times, but according to this it's 16 times higher:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/07/17/spotify-royalties-appear-to-be-awfully-high-despite-what-thom-yorke-says/

A lot of radio websites let you save programmes to listen to offline. And even if you listen to an offline playlist on Spotify, the artist gets paid every time you listen to it.

Thanks for that. I personally think its a fantastic service.

I have hundreds of artists on Spotify mainly 'My Name Is You' who happened to be playing in The Sugar Club a few months ago. Discovered their music on Spotify, checked them out and went out and bought a ticket for their gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

A band gets about 0.0001/0.001 cent or for each play on Spotify, which is pathetic either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

A band gets about 0.0001/0.001 cent or for each play on Spotify, which is pathetic either way

Can you back that up with a source, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

trudub83 wrote: »
    Is it worth it?

Hi all, I am a subscriber to Spotify and I absolutely adore it yet my friends and some family members think its a waste of money.

Does anyone else have it and what do you think?

Does anyone think its a rip off?

Cheers!
    It's certainly not a waste of money. I love Spotify and having easy access to so much great music. It's basically a music junkie's best friend. I still buy CDs and vinyl as well when I want to have the physical product.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

maccored wrote: »
    its a damned pity people are more concerned about getting cheap music than they are about supporting musicians. Spotify should be taken down and shot.

What a load of nonsense. I've used spotify for years. and can safely say its made me spend more on music than if i had never used it.

Most of my friends are the same, you listen online for as cheap as possible, filter out the crap music that's not worth buying and get what you want on vinyl/cd.

The only ones that suffer here are the music industry (records and printed magazines etc) and weaker artists where before you'd have to spend 24e (remember those days, 24 euro for a cd - f-uck off!) to find out how awful a band truly were.

According to the previously linked article, it's 0.4 pence per play, so over 400 times more than what you're saying.

Artists get about €2 an album sale, so the equivalent of 500 spotify plays.

Which isn't that much. You buy an album, you can listen to it as many times you like for the rest of your life. Or if you get sick of it, you can sell it on indefinitely. In the long run, artist probably win out from Spotify.

yes, have a good read of that. It compares every listener to a radio station to listeners on spotify and then comes to the conclusion you get more bang for your buck with spotify.

spotify basically is the major labels up to their old, artist ripping off ways. as I said earlier - its a pity people want to download free music and not bother themselves worrying about how much it costs musicians - in time, effort, talent and money - to make the bleedin' recordings. Keep supporting the likes of spotify and you'll find your musical choices will just get smaller and smaller.

lordgoat wrote: »
    The only ones that suffer here are the music industry (records and printed magazines etc) and weaker artists where before you'd have to spend 24e (remember those days, 24 euro for a cd - f-uck off!) to find out how awful a band truly were.

and you accuse me of talking nonsense? the main profiteers are the majors.

During that six-month period, Keating earned just under $47k from iTunes, $25k from Bandcamp and nearly $11.2k from Amazon, but less than $300 from Spotify.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/19/zoe-keating-spotify-streaming-royalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's great for streaming when out and about, you don't have to copy music onto your phone and you are not limited to whatever you can fit on it.

Plus the discovery option for similar music along with some of the plugins is brilliant. I've ended up finding new bands and going to a lot of gigs because of it.

At the end of the day, nobody's forcing anyone to put their music on Spotify. If someone feels that putting music up there will hurt their album sales, then they are able to take their music off Spotify.

The fact that so few do, speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ardeehey

Love Spotify myself, ok some of my favourite bands don't use it but I can live with that, i still buy lots of music. But as a source of music it's great. I have no problem with any artists that don't want to use it, I'll still buy their music regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Is there any real difference between Spotify and Google All Access Music? Currently using Googles service, quite like it.

maccored wrote: »
    and you accuse me of talking nonsense? the main profiteers are the majors.

The main profiteers before and after spotify are and will be the majors? What's your point?

That's not spotifys problem. So yep you are talking nonsense. Nonsense with a side of chip on the shoulder.

• Advertisement

Ardeehey wrote: »
    Love Spotify myself, ok some of my favourite bands don't use it but I can live with that, i still buy lots of music. But as a source of music it's great. I have no problem with any artists that don't want to use it, I'll still buy their music regardless.

Exactly. I'll still buy their music too. If it's worth buying. Ill go to their gigs. If they're worth seeing.

Neither of these are related to spotify IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

niallo24 wrote: »
    Is there any real difference between Spotify and Google All Access Music? Currently using Googles service, quite like it.

Google makes you pay to listen to music.

I use rdio more than Spotify now. It's similar but has no ads in the free version like Spotify does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I am a Spotify Premium subscriber and I find it a great service for me.

I used to go out every week and buy 4/5 CDs, must have spent a fortune! However, once I moved into my 30's I fell out of the 'music scene' and just started listening to what I had already and knew I liked. I was spending no money on music. This was before Spotify. You may argue that they music an artist gets from me on Spotify is small potatoes, but without it they would certainly be getting no potatoes from me.

For example: There was a time when I used to buy every Placebo album/single religiously. The last album or two I didn't buy as I had fallen out of the scene. However, their latest one is on Spotify and I have been listening to it all week. It's made me nostalgic for them again and I will probably go to see them live and buy a t-shirt. Without Spotify, Placebo wouldn't have received a cent from me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I use spotify to discover new bands, along with recommendations from here.

radio is practically useless these days for finding new good music, and the wide spread internet has only created different houses for different genres.

If i really like the bands ill physically purchase the CD and if possible, check them out live if they tour.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I

radio is practically useless these days for finding new good music, and the wide spread internet has only created different houses for different genres.

Radio in Ireland is pretty poor. Check out some of the bbc stations.

The lounge on phantom on tuesday nights is good for new music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

iv currently started to use spotify more, exceeded the limit there and im thinking of paying that tenner a month , i think its a great way of checkin out music before buying it, and if you do like it , then you go out and buy it, this has happened to me a fair few time times so in a way i think it is helping the industry even if it is that little bit slow at a time

i found many artists/bands on there that i thought id never find or even like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's worth it for me. I have unlimited data on my phone, so I have Spotify on in the car all the time, blutoothing to the Stereo. I have loads of offline playlists, too. I'm not sure it's so great for the artists, but a tenner a month to listen to what I want, when I want it, including new releases, for me is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

100% worth it, I have discovered some great stuff on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Advertisement