Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

henke wrote: »
    Has anyone tried or know of anyone who has the Duronic airfryer?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-AF1-Healthy-1500W-Multicooker/dp/B00FQKCSAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470057571&sr=8-1&keywords=duronic+fryer

I wonder how it compares to the Philips.

Also wondering if that one is any good. Seems like it gets good reviews.
    I am also looking at this one.
    Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01EH6F7VO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470058348&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=air+fryer+salter&dpPl=1&dpID=41RxJzpqAYL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I am concerned that the Philips is too small for 2 adults and 2 kids for family meals and the Salter is larger and seems easier to keep clean.

Maybe we need a general air fryer thread as I don't want to clog up this one with general discussion about other air fryers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

henke wrote: »
    Has anyone tried or know of anyone who has the Duronic airfryer?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-AF1-Healthy-1500W-Multicooker/dp/B00FQKCSAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470057571&sr=8-1&keywords=duronic+fryer

I wonder how it compares to the Philips.

Do the 1,000+ reviews not help at all? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

so I got one of these and cut a few potatoes (using a French fries cutter in the 2 euro shop - handy!)

I used spray on sunflower oil - but think I used too much. The fries had right texture but awful "false oil" taste....gonna try again with a tea spoon of olive oil instead..

edit just saw this post:
    Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah I gave them a few sprays of this, maybe that was the problem and I should have just tossed them in a bowl with normal vegetable oil first, the Dunnes Store Finest Crinkle-Cut oven chips I did the other night were really nice, no oil added:

LN_584511_BP_11.jpg

That's the spray. Ugggggh!

Anyway, did another batch with a teaspoon of olive oil and much better. Not like deep fried home made chips but far better than frozen oven chips.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Tried these aldi burgers in it as well with the brioche buns they sell. 10 min at 200. Perfect.

need any oil with fresh burgers? Or just throw them in and collect 10 minutes later?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

need any oil with fresh burgers?

No oil needed, there would be plenty of fat in them already.

I would recommend poking a hole in the centre of burgers, that goes for frying or grilling too.

F6VOZ22FT7PL9GA.MEDIUM.jpg4b9a353bbaa4c93ec4e0bfffe834008a.jpg

It stops it bubbling up in the middle which can sometimes happen. After cooking you will barely notice the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^^^^^^^^^^
    MMmmmmm ..... Meat donuts .....Drool :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

tharmor wrote: »
    Ok i thought this gives option to make healthy fries....from potatoes ?? What's point in eating half cooked frozen fries full of oil...

Because they're tasty as f**k.
    Anyway, did another batch with a teaspoon of olive oil and much better. Not like deep fried home made chips but far better than frozen oven chips.
    Get a bag of those Aldi Select chunkies and you will change your tune. No doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

dodzy wrote: »
    [/B]

Get a bag of those Aldi Select chunkies and you will change your tune. No doubt.

Yup the Aldi or even Lidl Maris Piper oven chips done in the air fryer are delishus. Nothing like regular oven chips.

[/B]

Because they're tasty as f**k.
    They are even nicer when fully cooked, maybe that's where he was going wrong!

"air fryer" is a poor name, its an extra fast fan oven, it is not going to magicallyturn potatoes with little or no oil into chipper chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭r0chf0rt

I bought the Duronic a couple of months ago to replace the airfryer that we had for a good few years. It functions exactly the same as the philips and has a similar capacity. The only thing that caught us out was that it is vented out the back and not to leave it too pushed tight against something plastic like a socket/heating control as it may melt it :)
    Also wondering if that one is any good. Seems like it gets good reviews.
    I am also looking at this one.
    Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01EH6F7VO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470058348&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=air+fryer+salter&dpPl=1&dpID=41RxJzpqAYL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

I am concerned that the Philips is too small for 2 adults and 2 kids for family meals and the Salter is larger and seems easier to keep clean.

Maybe we need a general air fryer thread as I don't want to clog up this one with general discussion about other air fryers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The best frozen chips I've tried in the air fryer are these ones, but I don't think they are widely available.

Another brand I like are these from Aldi. Recommended by some people here on boards.

There is barely any caloric difference between those frozen ones and making your own to be honest. I try to make my own when I can, but sometimes finding a decent potato is impossible..

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

I did the Lidl spicy chicken wings in my air fryer on Saturday..............absolutely delicious :) chicken wings are from the fridge not frozen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

kellyshell wrote: »
    I did the Lidl spicy chicken wings in my air fryer on Saturday..............absolutely delicious :) chicken wings are from the fridge not frozen

How long and what Temp?

Casey78 wrote: »
    How long and what Temp?

I think it was 8mins at 160deg and then 5mins at 180 to make them crispy.....

Aldi stock. Here they are, in the flesh so to speak. 14mins in the fryer (not preheated). A bit of a shake and add some Aldi ground salt & pepper mid way through. Seriously, you will not look back.

As previous poster has said, you need to cook them well. When they are done right, the chip will be fluffy as hell on the inside.
    393294.jpg

And here's how they should look when done properly.....

(Fish & tomatoes, courtesy of the 2nd airfryer ;))

393296.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

kellyshell wrote: »
    Try the ones in Centra, the big pack for €2.50, they are seriously amazing.

Its worth having an Airfryer just for the way it does battered fish on its own, especially if you live with pigs that leave the oven so dirty it makes everything taste of burnt grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Lidl's refrigerated breaded cod and hammock comes out a treat from it. You can cook it at the same time as the chips. Preheat Airfryer for 5 mins then Chips in first then the fish on top. 7 mins. Take out the fish, shake the chips, turn and put the fish back in for another 7-8 mins and everything done in one go.

Can do the same to make really great Steak and chips, just wait and put the steak in on top of the chips after you shake them (for the second 7 mins). Aldi Sirloin (€2 at the min btw) are great for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is it a nightmare cleaning the Airfryer after cooking wings in it? Laziness about cleaning has put me off trying them :o

• Advertisement

Same as any other wet food, any sauce that drips down tends to go back up as smoke, the basket will need a scrub to get the sauce off aswell, its not a chore like cleaning it after burgers is anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks Thargor, I'll give them a go at the weekend.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Tried these aldi burgers in it as well with the brioche buns they sell. 10 min at 200. Perfect.
    rubadub wrote: »
    For burgers after it is finished I then put cheese on and back in, which melts it nicely

I'm in heaven. Got those Aldi burgers (less than 5% fat version), cooked perfectly for me in about 12 minutes. Threw in the cheese on top of the burger rather than the bun and ended up with a harder clean than I needed to - should have left them on the bigger bun.

But oh wow, those burgers. Perfection! Never cooked a fresh burger so easily before!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Ive went pescetarian since buying my Air Fryer so no more meat or chicken for me, but I tell you what, it does a great job on those Quorn vegetarian burgers!

Nice, tender and juicy from frozen.

I throw the basket and base into the dishwasher and it comes out spotless!! the wings do leave a bit of a mess.

Got those Aldi burgers (less than 5% fat version),
    the ones in the linked picture did not appear to be low fat, were they still juicy, did much fat fall out? most chefs recommend 15-20% fat for burgers. I was thinking of getting lean mince just to save on cleanup rather than health reasons.
    Threw in the cheese on top of the burger rather than the bun and ended up with a harder clean than I needed to - should have left them on the bigger bun.
    It should melt fast and I usually do not have it turned on, just the redisual heat as the fan can blow it off. Another trick is to put a thicker chunk of cheese in the centre, then it melts and you take it out and spread it with a knife. This way it does not drip off the sides.

If using easi singles I break off the corners and put them in the middle, so there are no edges draped over the side of the burger. If it does melt and go on the basket I pick it off while still melted.

rubadub wrote: »
    the ones in the linked picture did not appear to be low fat, were they still juicy, did much fat fall out? most chefs recommend 15-20% fat for burgers. I was thinking of getting lean mince just to save on cleanup rather than health reasons.

Yep, I specifically got the 5% ones. Practically zero fat fell out, despite me prodding with a fork at the 10 minute mark. That surprised me, but maybe that proves the 5%!

Absolutely not dry, but you wouldn't have got juice if you squeezed them, but I like them cooked through, no pink.

Here is an up to date pic from burger cooked today. 13 minutes on 200. No real fat drip other than a couple of small drops onto the tinfoil covering the base.
    I rarely had fresh burgers due to the time taken on the grill, grilling the bun etc but this sure makes life easy.

burger_airfryer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Had the nicest dinner out of this tonight. Cooked ciabattas in the normal oven then everything else was in the fryer. Cooked some chicken breast strips sprayed with 1kcal oil they took about 7/8mins when they were done threw in freshly cut chips. Made up ciabattas with mayo, chicken, mozzarella and pesto wrapped them up in tin foil. When chips were done put garlic bread which was made of a ciabatta with garlic butter and mozzarella in fryer then added added the ciabattas wrapped in tin foil to warm and melt cheese. It was such a good dinner particulary garlic bread was really good out of it, much tastier then big oven.

Husband loves the sausages out of it spray with 1kcal oil first so they brown nicely and have discovered it's great for heating take away pizza the next day, it doesn't dry it out like the oven does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Aldi stock. Here they are, in the flesh so to speak. 14mins in the fryer (not preheated). A bit of a shake and add some Aldi ground salt & pepper mid way through. Seriously, you will not look back.
    393294.jpg

Picked up a bag tonight. Very nice chips! Cooked them for 16 mins at 180C and they cooked well. Managed to burn my throat because I was not patient enough to wait for them to cool :(.

Only thing I dislike is the size of them. I usually have 150g of chips and with these it's literally about 6 :pac:. I'm eating the same amount but it looks like less on the plate :(.
    Duvetdays wrote: »
    Husband loves the sausages out of it spray with 1kcal oil first so they brown nicely and have discovered it's great for heating take away pizza the next day, it doesn't dry it out like the oven does.

Best way to reheat pizza is without a doubt on a pan. Give it a try sometime. Heating it from the bottom up is much better than an oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Can do the same to make really great Steak and chips, just wait and put the steak in on top of the chips after you shake them (for the second 7 mins). Aldi Sirloin (€2 at the min btw) are great for this.

Is it OK to put a raw steak in on top of the chips ? Would the blood of the steak not soak into the chips ?..... have one of these on order and just wondering do you just lash everything in together ?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement