Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

dodzy wrote: »
    Yummy yum yum.....all for me :p

393806.JPG

Let us know the best cooking time for you with these Sirlions. Also how do u prep the meat?

I drizzle a little cooking oil on first. Then a generous sprinkle of Garlic Pepper and a sprinkle of Sea Salt. Flip over and REPEAT on other side! I then leave for 5-10 mins at room temperature.

I then cook x 7 minutes on one side and flip over for 6 minutes on other side. That's how my family like theirs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Try some sharwoods "season all" rubbed in on both sides, no oil needed and then 8 mins for med rare or 10 for well done. No turning necessary at 200 (preheated) Comes out delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

Masala wrote: »
    Let us know the best cooking time for you with these Sirlions. Also how do u prep the meat?

I drizzle a little cooking oil on first. Then a generous sprinkle of Garlic Pepper and a sprinkle of Sea Salt. Flip over and REPEAT on other side! I then leave for 5-10 mins at room temperature.

I then cook x 7 minutes on one side and flip over for 6 minutes on other side. That's how my family like theirs!!!!

Absolutely identical prep at my end. 7&7 cooking time. No preheat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

14 minutes for the slim sirloin steaks that are 2 euro at the moment? Sure they would be cremated. 6-7 minutes max is all you need, no turning and they are hardly medium at that time...

Pick up the Brazilian Style BBQ Dry Rub Marinade from ALDI, similar prep per above, really nice rub (usually just go for plenty of salt and pepper myself but this stuff is good)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

^^^^ That.

I haven't tried a steak in my airfryer yet as I'm getting a strong impression it would only be suitable for people who like their steak (very) well done. And I don't want to waste a good steak

I would fry that Aldi sirloin steak on a very hot (smoking) griddle pan on a gas hob for about 60-90 seconds each side for a rare / blue steak. This is obviously at a far higher temperature than the airfryer can go (200C)

Does anyone still reckon I should try the airfryer for steak?

• Advertisement

Easy Rider wrote: »
    14 minutes for the slim sirloin steaks that are 2 euro at the moment? Sure they would be cremated. 6-7 minutes max is all you need, no turning and they are hardly medium at that time...

Pick up the Brazilian Style BBQ Dry Rub Marinade from ALDI, similar prep per above, really nice rub (usually just go for plenty of salt and pepper myself but this stuff is good)

393909.JPG

Seriously, 13-14mins from cold. I neglected to say that's for 2 ;)

I'm not a rare fan. Both cooked perfectly, i'd say medium to well. A 1/2 dozen cherry tomatoes in on top half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Hmmm, maybe cause they are on top of each other on the rack it takes longer to cook. Just had one and 7 minutes from cold, was medium/well, however it was just for one. 180c too.....must try the cherry tomatoes trick, bought the chunky chips recommended will give them a shot soon enough.

Anyway, 2 euro steaks, seriously good value and very tasty.

Easy Rider wrote: »
    Hmmm, maybe cause they are on top of each other on the rack it takes longer to cook. Just had one and 7 minutes from cold, was medium/well, however it was just for one. 180c too.....must try the cherry tomatoes trick, bought the chunky chips recommended will give them a shot soon enough.

Anyway, 2 euro steaks, seriously good value and very tasty.

Seriously, they are fantastic. About 13mins (not preheated)for a proper portion. Salt & pepper at the half way point and a quick shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

unkel wrote: »
    ^^^^ That.

I haven't tried a steak in my airfryer yet as I'm getting a strong impression it would only be suitable for people who like their steak (very) well done. And I don't want to waste a good steak

I would fry that Aldi sirloin steak on a very hot (smoking) griddle pan on a gas hob for about 60-90 seconds each side for a rare / blue steak. This is obviously at a far higher temperature than the airfryer can go (200C)

Does anyone still reckon I should try the airfryer for steak?

Yeah, you definitely should, anyone I've cooked one for has been amazed. I've only done rare-medium rare myself but 7-8 minutes has had them perfect. I'd say it's trial and error to get rarer/blue but it's definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Guys,

I genuinely don't think we are getting the use of our Airfryer since we bought it. I've been following this thread and have decided to try some of those Aldi frozen thick chips. I didn't see this covered, but at what temperature are you cooking them? Are you pre-heating the airfryer? The Philips guide isn't clear on this.

Finally, same questions for those packs of premade chicked wings? Are you pre-heating the fryer, and at what temperature are you cooking them?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I didn't see it.

Thanks in advance
    Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Might aswell preheat the Airfryer seeing as it only takes 5 minutes and Im pretty sure absolutely everything from the instructions on a Fray Bentos pie up to Gordon Ramsays level advises the use of a preheated oven, I dont think Ive ever seen a recipe for anything hot that tells you not to preheat the oven first.

I was really looking forward to picking up those €2 steaks in Aldi but they're a bit on the small side arent they? The ones in mine were, I just grabbed one to see what its like but I wont be filling the freezer.

conjon wrote: »
    Guys,

I genuinely don't think we are getting the use of our Airfryer since we bought it. I've been following this thread and have decided to try some of those Aldi frozen thick chips. I didn't see this covered, but at what temperature are you cooking them? Are you pre-heating the airfryer? The Philips guide isn't clear on this.

Finally, same questions for those packs of premade chicked wings? Are you pre-heating the fryer, and at what temperature are you cooking them?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I didn't see it.

Thanks in advance
    Conor.

Aldi 'select chunky oven fries - Maris pipers'
    200'C. No preheat. Load basket. 7 mins on timer. Open and add ground salt & pepper. 6 more minutes.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved from Bargain alerts, Food charter now applies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Merged with the existing Actifry & Airfryer thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

Anyone have any deals on Airfryers at the moment or recommend an alternative to the philips one?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

conjon wrote: »
    The Philips guide isn't clear on this.
    On my instructions it said to follow the pack instructions (which would be to preheat) and to use half the recommended time, or a little more.
    Thargor wrote: »
    I dont think Ive ever seen a recipe for anything hot that tells you not to preheat the oven first.
    This is since some ovens can take ages to preheat so might not even be up to temperature after the cooking time. They do not know how your oven works etc. Some things like those pies would have to go in hot or it might no rise. Some things would overcook if left in an oven which took 15mins to heat up.

Airfryer is different since it is so quick to heat up, and everybodies should perform the same. So if I say I do not preheat and do tesco 10 chicken nuggets for 10mins at 200C yours should come out the same.

I used to not preheat my old regular oven doing some foods like chips, I would for pizza. I knew how long things took.

There is some bloody ad on the TV now with a ping sound that sounds like my airfryer, I use a laptop during ad breaks and kept hearing it, went out to check it twice last night!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is the white 9240/30 available anywhere?
    It was on the link the OP posted- but seems to have vanished, and Amazon.co.uk don't seem to have it any longer (.it and .de have sellers with it- but at really ridiculous prices- up around the 300 mark).
    Anyone have any other sources other than the original Amazon link- which isn't valid any longer?

Is the white 9240/30 available anywhere?
    It was on the link the OP posted- but seems to have vanished, and Amazon.co.uk don't seem to have it any longer (.it and .de have sellers with it- but at really ridiculous prices- up around the 300 mark).
    Anyone have any other sources other than the original Amazon link- which isn't valid any longer?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Collection-Airfryer-HD9230-50/dp/B00F4HAR48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470895044&sr=8-1&keywords=Philips+9230+white

PM OR PW FOR SHIPPING.

Whats the difference between the 9230/50 and the 9240/30?
    (If I'm spending a couple of hundred quid- I'd like to be sure I get the best possible one!)

Ok- so this is a 1400 Watt- the 9240 is a 2100 Watt
    This is 0.8kg capacity - the 9240 is 1.2kg capacity.

Ok- still think I need the 9240- on capacity grounds alone- you're going to have issues trying to cook for a family of 4 in the smaller 9230/50

Thanks for the info by the way- its just its really the larger capacity one I'm looking for. If anyone has any links- for the 9240/30- in white- I'd be really grateful.

Cheers guys.

Edit- its a bit of a misnomer- its hardly going to be my final question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Whats the difference between the 9230/50 and the 9240/30?
    (If I'm spending a couple of hundred quid- I'd like to be sure I get the best possible one!)

Ok- so this is a 1400 Watt- the 9240 is a 2100 Watt

Ok- still think I need the 9240- on capacity grounds alone- you're going to have issues trying to cook for a family of 4 in the smaller 9230/50

Thanks for the info by the way- its just its really the larger capacity one I'm looking for. If anyone has any links- for the 9240/30- in white- I'd be really grateful.

Cheers guys.

Edit- its a bit of a misnomer- its hardly going to be my final question!

Screw the family 9240, you deserve a 9220 just for you... That's right, be like Gordon gecko and just get it for you, it's grown up steak for one time. All you have to do is forego dinner with the family and sneak it out of the press when everyone's gone to bed.

• Advertisement

Look up videos on youtube, you get a far better idea of the size looking at people using them than reading spec sheet dimensions. Small one is way too small for a family of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

I am looking for one of the cheaper ones. There is just the two of us.

Tower manual air fryer

Any recommendations would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

degzs wrote: »
    I am looking for one of the cheaper ones. There is just the two of us.

Tower manual air fryer

Any recommendations would be great

Haven't used any of the cheaper ones, but my advice is to buy the Philips..
    It has made my oven redundant and is used almost daily, so well worth the cost..
    Keep an eye on Amazon / camelcamelcamel and but when it drops in price, as it does regularly.

edit: I paid around €185 for the xl and €110 for the standard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Frozen fresh meat burgers...ie fresh burgers I've frozen.

Need to thaw or can I cook straight?

I've done frozen steak as read it's fine...

Frozen fresh meat burgers...ie fresh burgers I've frozen.

Need to thaw or can I cook straight?

I've done frozen steak as read it's fine...

From a food safety perspective- the safest way to cook them is to thaw them out in the fridge first. It also helps with cooking- meat gets cooked through more thoroughly when its not frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

From a food safety perspective- the safest way to cook them is to thaw them out in the fridge first. It also helps with cooking- meat gets cooked through more thoroughly when its not frozen.

Yeah, I had thought that too. Then I googled "cook frozen steak" and all the results point to this being a myth - that it's actually better tasting not to defrost and that the reason you are normally advised to thaw meat before cooking is simply that it is then easier and more likely that it will be cooked through properly.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8741-the-science-of-cooking-frozen-steaks

Anyway, that was steak. Wondering about burgers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Definitely get the biggest basket possible when buying an airfryer. I don't think the smaller capacity would do for the two of us, let alone four! Just had sweet potato fries out of ours. Unreal.

I'd be a thousand times more cautious about cooking burgers, than I would steak. Seriously- don't take shortcuts- food poisoning isn't worth it.

Yeah, I had thought that too. Then I googled "cook frozen steak" and all the results point to this being a myth - that it's actually better tasting not to defrost and that the reason you are normally advised to thaw meat before cooking is simply that it is then easier and more likely that it will be cooked through properly.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8741-the-science-of-cooking-frozen-steaks
    That is an odd way of cooking. I would agree with The_Conductors statement. If they had put temperature probes in those steaks and put them on hot pans until the centre got to 125F/52C then the frozen one would have been far more overcooked.

In that link they were defrosting in a way, but they were doing it after the steaks were seared, sticking them in an oven at 135C "to defrost" or to slow cook at low temperatures to make sure it all reaches the same temp throughout, similar enough to sous vide (which is a form of low temp cooking but its name brings out semantics)

It is a good method of cooking, but I would certainly not say conductors statement was a myth.

That site said "Conventional wisdom holds that frozen steaks should be thawed before cooking" but they fail to explain why this is said. It would be like me saying "Conventional wisdom holds that chicken should be cooked until the internal temp reaches 75C" and then go on to say I cooked sous vide chicken at 55C for 6 hours and it came out lovely and no food poisoning.

As for your burgers, the ready made ones tend to be very thick so they will not fall apart when handled, so unless they are thin I would defrost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: As our charter states, we explicitly forbid food safety advice to be requested or given in this forum. Please refer to the charter for further guidance, and do not request or provide any further food safety advice.

Advertisement