Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I assume this 89 JML Halowave isn't comparable with the Philips or Tefal air fryers? Looks deadly but then doesn't everything look great when professionally presented!!

http://www.jmldirect.com/kitchen/cooking-appliances/halowave-halogen-oven-bumper-offer-self-cleaning-energy-efficient-countertop-halogen-oven-1400w-105l/

That's the first time ASSUME didn't make an ASS out of U and ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

So, Camelcamelcamel came through.

XL Philips Airfryer (used like new) for £148 + £8 delivery to Parcel Motel/Parcel Wizard - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BS97UUA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully it's in brand new condition as they state otherwise it'll be going back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So, Camelcamelcamel came through.

XL Philips Airfryer (used like new) for £148 + £8 delivery to Parcel Motel/Parcel Wizard - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BS97UUA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully it's in brand new condition as they state otherwise it'll be going back!!

Damn you to helllllllll Camelcamelcamel

I thought it wasn't working so unsubscribed.

This is the third time I missed out.

Will someone please Pm me next time.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Got the regular sized Phillips Airfryer on the Amazon deal last week. First attempt at chips made fresh at home didn't work out so good.

Did steak in it last night though and it was by far the best steak I have ever cooked. 2 x Angus Sirloins from Aldi, put them on for around 12 minutes as they were quite thick and came out perfect Medium Rare. Oiled and seasoned them first and turned halfway through. Had them with Champion frozen chips, top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Damn you to helllllllll Camelcamelcamel

I thought it wasn't working so unsubscribed.
    he must have had the alert set to show the other options. there is amazon, 3rd party new, 3rd party used.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Philips-HD9240-90-Collection-Airfryer/product/B00BS97UUA

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    he must have had the alert set to show the other options. there is amazon, 3rd party new, 3rd party used.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Philips-HD9240-90-Collection-Airfryer/product/B00BS97UUA

Correct. I had all three options ticked. I don't care where a bargain comes from. If someone opened the box of a new £220 XL Philips Airfryer then decided against keeping it and someone is now offloading it as "used" for £148 I'll have it all day long provided it arrives in "as new" (never used for cooking) condition with full warranty and the ability to return for a full refund if I have any concerns about it whatsoever.

Looking forward to it arriving.

Correct. I had all three options ticked. I don't care where a bargain comes from. If someone opened the box of a new £220 XL Philips Airfryer then decided against keeping it and someone is now offloading it as "used" for £148 I'll have it all day long provided it arrives in "as new" (never used for cooking) condition with full warranty and the ability to return for a full refund if I have any concerns about it whatsoever.

Looking forward to it arriving.

So my £148 Philips XL Airfryer arrived today. It was in unusual (for Amazon or Amazon resellers) black plastic wrapping but well secured and once that was off it was clear the original box had been opened before. It was a bit shabby but fine and the Airfyer itself was fully protected with those egg carton type custom shaped protectors.

The good news is that although it was a return the Airfryer has never been used and is in "as new" condition as described.

The bad news is it has a two prong European plug which means either cutting off and replacing with one of our three prong plugs or using an adaptor. The latter is not really a long term solution and is both fiddly and unsightly.

The other bad news is it didn't come with any instructions, warranty info or the 30 recipe book which is supposed to be inside :-( This wouldn't be a problem if I was an old hand at Airfryers but this is all new to me.

I found the instruction leaflet here and what I assume is the standard recipe book included with these devices here and whilst searching I also found an Asian version of the recipe book here which looks very interesting.

Are there any other resources/recipe books anyone can suggest or link to for a beginner who is prepared to experiment and loves spicy Asian food? (I lived in Bangkok for a few years)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Just google "air fry xxx" and you'll get exactly what you need.

Have been using mine now for about five weeks and think I could count on two fingers the number of times I've turned the oven on since.

Mastered sweet potato chips the other night for the first time. Life will never be the same!

The latter is not really a long term solution and is both fiddly and unsightly.
    It also draws over 9A so if you are using an adaptor make sure its suitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Just cut off the two pin and put on a 3 pin plug. You don't need to be an Electrician to wire a plug!

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    Just cut off the two pin and put on a 3 pin plug. You don't need to be an Electrician to wire a plug!

I assume I need to make sure the fuse in the replacement plug is at least 9A?

Yep. Put in a 13amp fuse and you'll be fine.

Yep, as above a 13A fuse is what you need. Fuses will usually be 3, 5, 13A.

Powercity have 13A adaptors but I would definitely go for the plug, though it could possibly have warranty issues.

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=80-20-EPLUG&action=moreinfo

Just FYI, I reverted to the seller about the two prong plug and missing recipe book and they offered a £25 refund straight off the bat.

Philips XL Fryer for £123, can't complain about that :D

Amazon must offload returned items to grey market sellers for very little.

skerry wrote: »
    Got the regular sized Phillips Airfryer on the Amazon deal last week. First attempt at chips made fresh at home didn't work out so good.

Did steak in it last night though and it was by far the best steak I have ever cooked. 2 x Angus Sirloins from Aldi, put them on for around 12 minutes as they were quite thick and came out perfect Medium Rare. Oiled and seasoned them first and turned halfway through. Had them with Champion frozen chips, top notch.

Was away for the weekend so only got a chance to try my new Philips XL Airfryer this morning and took advantage of the opportunity to have steak and eggs for brekkie :D

I too like the Aldi steaks (rib eye rather than sirloin) so used your guide above and did the following:-

- heated the airfryer to 200c for 3 minutes
    - drizzled oil over the steaks and seasoned well on both sides with ground rock salt and pepper.
    - after the 3 minute warm up was complete I put the two steaks into the wire mess holder at 200c for 10 minutes.

I was surprised how much smoke the airfryer put out. I initially thought I must have left some instructions or cardboard in the thing but hadn't. Perhaps I drizzled too much oil on the steaks. I drizzled about the same amount on them as I would it I was BBQ'ing them.

I was also surprised how loud the airfryer is during cooking but then I didn't have a reference point for comparison and given it's fan driven I guess it's not a surprise. It kind of sounds like the extractor fan I had to turn on to dissipate the smoke!!

The steaks themselves were tasty but a bit over cooked for my liking, they were pink in the very middle but well done on the edges.

I think with a little less oil and perhaps 8 rather than 10 minutes I'll end up with some very nice and easy to cook steaks.

I'll certainly enjoy trying.

Next up some airfryed chips for dinner ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The steaks themselves were tasty but a bit over cooked for my liking, they were pink in the very middle but well done on the edges.

Lower the temperature- not the cooking time.........

Vis-a-vis the noise- I have an extractor fan here too- however, the noise is more akin to the whir you'd get from a pedestal fan- than from an extractor fan (my extractor fan sounds like something about to take off.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Another favorite in our house is frozen mini spring rolls from Aldi (in a blue box, I think 24 of them), we have only tried the chicken ones, but there is a veg one too.

I think we set it to 180 and cook for about 9-10 mins , shaking a couple of times in between, they are forgiving with cooking times though, you'll know when they are done cause they will be kinda golden brown.

Aldi sell a sweet chilli sauce that goes well with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I was surprised how much smoke the airfryer put out. I initially thought I must have left some instructions or cardboard in the thing but hadn't. Perhaps I drizzled too much oil on the steaks. I drizzled about the same amount on them as I would it I was BBQ'ing them.

Just on this point; my airfryer was quite smoky the first few times I used it but got a lot less smoky from then on. The only time it gets really bad now is if I'm cooking something very oily for a long time, like fried chicken.

:o
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Just on this point; my airfryer was quite smoky the first few times I used it but got a lot less smoky from then on. The only time it gets really bad now is if I'm cooking something very oily for a long time, like fried chicken.

What I do when I'm cooking something that causes smoke ie sausages,steak etc is after about 4 or 5mins I take out the basket and empty out the oil in the bottom of it and there is no smoke then after.
    I figured most of the oil/fat would have dripped from the food in the first few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Thinking of buying one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0148N2U7K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

3.2L 1350 airfryer for £60.

Not a brand i have ever heard of - should i go for a Philips instead? I figure that the concept is novel but the actual technology should probably not be overwhelming.

anyone else used one of these - are they good enough or do i need a branded one?

• Advertisement

Philips HD9220/20 Healthier Oil Free Airfryer - Black for £95 at the moment.

Used like new for £80 with free delivery to PM/PW.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I cooked a 1.2kg chicken in my small phillips air fryer last night, it just barely fit (had to kinda smoosh it in there!) and took about 45 or 50 mins @180 (used a thermometer to check it was done). I only had a couple of pieces of it cause it was just for lunches etc over the next few days and it was really good. I didn't do anything with the chicken prep wise, just threw it in.

I'd highly recommend giving it a go, my cat highly recommends it too, I covered it in a tea towel before bed cause it was still warm, bugger knocked the plate off the counter to get at it. Had a grand feed for himself. The dogs are delighted as the remaining chicken is only fit for animal consumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

There's an air fry in [ aldi today, does anyone know much about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Any updates on the 9240?:pac::pac::pac:

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Any updates on the 9240?:pac::pac::pac:

Just did chicken wings in it a couple of times so far and beginning to get the hang of it.

First batch were good but I probably put too much oil on them so there was a lot of smoke. Second batch I drizzled less olive oil over the wings and then tossed them in a a dry rub I'd made up (equal parts garlic powder, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper) before sticking them on @ 180c for 25 minutes. I tossed them 3-4 times during cooking and they came out great. The rub needs a little adjusting (possibly some paprika and/or cumin) but what I did notice is there was a lot less smoke (possibly in part due to it being the second time used) and the wings were cooked absolutely perfectly. It's so hard to get an even cook through in the conventional oven, even a fan oven, and I've often ended up with some which are under cooked and some over cooked in the same batch. The AirFryer seems to do a wonderful job of ensuring an even cook.

I'm going to do sweet potato fries tonight and possibly some fish but most likely I'll just do the fries in the AirFryer and bake the fish in tinfoil with dill and lemon etc in the oven as I think that will still be the best way to cook fish. It only take 12-15 minutes for the tin foil parcel to cook fish at 180c and it preserves the delicate taste and moistness of the fish. If I was bread crumbing the fish I'd chance the AirFryer and may well do that another time.

One thing I think I'll try is using peanut oil instead of olive oil in the AirFryer as I've found when stir frying that peanut oil doesn't smoke until a much higher temperature than olive oil.

So far I'm very pleased.

I also purchased a Euro 2-Pin to UK 3-Pin Adaptor for £3.50 with the £25 refund I got from the seller so I'm all street legal and good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

One thing I think I'll try is using peanut oil instead of olive oil in the AirFryer as I've found when stir frying that peanut oil doesn't smoke until a much higher temperature than olive oil.

So far I'm very pleased.

I also purchased a Euro 2-Pin to UK 3-Pin Adaptor for £3.50 with the £25 refund I got from the seller so I'm all street legal and good to go.

Personally I have almost done away with using oil completely, I find chicken is generally moist enough to get the coating to stick as is. The smoke is almost certainly from the oil being blown up onto the heating element, so it probably won't matter what oil you use it will still smoke if there is enough oil to be blown directly up onto the element.

Price drop report from camelcamelcamel just now
    £69 for the philips regular dial small one. Need to pick free delivery on checkout.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9220-20-Healthier-Airfryer/dp/B0042EU3A2?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelanonalerts-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0042EU3A2

this post suggests there might be more savings to be had
    123654789 wrote: »
    It's £69 now (oo-er missus) Free delivery to Ireland

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9220-20-Healthier-Airfryer/dp/B0042EU3A2
    41oCA9VLtEL.jpg
    It says Dispatched and sold by Amazon so if u buy the £40 gift card in the other thread you should get another £6 off.

EDIT: sadly gone back up now.
    I got a report on camelcamelcamel this is the type of email you get.
    I had a "desired price" of £72.45. Now I think of it the £69 price was possibly only for "prime" customers, not sure.

Forwarded message
    Date: 4 November 2016 at 11:56
    Subject: Price drop alert: Philips HD9220/20 Healthier Oil Free Airfryer - Black - £69.00

The price has dropped and this product is in stock at Amazon.
    Philips HD9220/20 Healthier Oil Free Airfryer - Black
    The Amazon Price for Philips HD9220/20 Healthier Oil Free Airfryer - Black has dropped at Amazon and is now £3.45 below your desired price. Additionally, our system has determined that the current price is the best price as it is the lowest price we've seen on this product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Well I'm addicted to my recent purchase! Did chicken wings tonight, don't use oil at all, there's enough fat in chicken skin without adding oil. I also tossed the second batch in some self raising flour before cooking, superb! Crispy heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Amazon Warehouse Deals is the same free delivery to Ireland as Amazon.co.uk once price hits aboout £25 so no need for the parcel wizard or other postbox services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

£69 at the moment!

Advertisement