Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Lidl will have their own version next Monday, November 28th.

1650W, 2.3l capacity for €89.99

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=951

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Lidl will have their own version next Monday, November 28th.

1650W, 2.3l capacity for €89.99

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=951

I had it. It's awful compared to the Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Casey78 wrote: »
    I had it. It's awful compared to the Philips.
    What was the difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thargor wrote: »
    What was the difference?

The Philips cooks food much better. The Lidl version was fine for a few months but after a bit just wouldn't cook food great and took ages to cook food also. I've the Philips over a year and it's still works as good as it did the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Davexirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Davexirl wrote: »

8% gone already to prime members, better get in quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Have one in my basket, but im torn!

We use ours all the time, but there is only two of us so not sure if we need the bigger one. Would be nice to not have to squeeze a small chicken in, but is that really worth 125 pound!

I was this tense waiting for my child to be born :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Bought, thanks very much for the tip. I have also been hoping to see the XL model drop in price.

By the way the first time I have used parcel motel, I presume all I have to do is use the PM delivery address - I don't need to inform PM in advance?

They will sign for it right?

Fian wrote: »
    Bought, thanks very much for the tip. I have also been hoping to see the XL model drop in price.

By the way the first time I have used parcel motel, I presume all I have to do is use the PM delivery address - I don't need to inform PM in advance?

They will sign for it right?

Yeah I have used Parcel Motel plenty of times when buying stuff from Amazon, you will get an email/text when it's ready for you to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks for the heads up! Was waiting for this to drop, missed it the last time.

@Fian Why do you need to use Parcel Motel? Amazon have free delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

branners69 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up! Was waiting for this to drop, missed it the last time.

Why do you need to use Parcel Motel? Amazon have free delivery.

You don't need to use parcel motel at all!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    You don't need to use parcel motel at all!

That is what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some use parcel motel for other reasons. e.g. nobody at home during the day. There is also a certain point where the VAT savings will mean its cheaper to use PM.

e.g. on most items UK vat is 20%, irish is 23%, PM is 3.95 for standard size.

The air fryer was £124.99, so should have been £128.11 with Irish vat. So £3.12 more, which is €3.65. So its cheaper to get free delivery but not much.

But when you pay Irish VAT on amazon it does go to our government, if using PM you are feeding the queens corgis...

On some items there is zero vat in the UK, so potential savings are very good, e.g. adult cycling helmets are zero in the uk and full 23% here -in which case I would have no qualms about using PM.

Maybe that poster did not know though, you have to tick for free delivery at the end, at least they will not be annoyed at a 30cent "loss". Some people think there is none since the item usually only says "free uk delivery", there is usually a £25 limit before free delivery kicks in for here, but you can test it, I have gotten it free while slightly below. You can throw in random low price items from other departments to get over £25.

I would also go for Irish free delivery since if there is a problem with the item its easier to return.

Now you say it the VAT didn't change on my order!

Are there any accessories which are a must buy? They seem pretty pricey!

rubadub wrote: »
    Some use parcel motel for other reasons. e.g. nobody at home during the day. There is also a certain point where the VAT savings will mean its cheaper to use PM.

e.g. on most items UK vat is 20%, irish is 23%, PM is 3.95 for standard size.

The air fryer was £124.99, so should have been £128.11 with Irish vat. So £3.12 more, which is €3.65. So its cheaper to get free delivery but not much.

But when you pay Irish VAT on amazon it does go to our government, if using PM you are feeding the queens corgis...

On some items there is zero vat in the UK, so potential savings are very good, e.g. adult cycling helmets are zero in the uk and full 23% here -in which case I would have no qualms about using PM.

Maybe that poster did not know though, you have to tick for free delivery at the end, at least they will not be annoyed at a 30cent "loss". Some people think there is none since the item usually only says "free uk delivery", there is usually a £25 limit before free delivery kicks in for here, but you can test it, I have gotten it free while slightly below. You can throw in random low price items from other departments to get over £25.

I would also go for Irish free delivery since if there is a problem with the item its easier to return.

Uhh yeah!!

This was exactly my reasoning. It wasn't at all that I didn't notice free delivery to Ireland and only saw Free UK delivery. Nope, not at all.

Anyway pleased at the bargain, but I would prefer to pay irish vat than uk vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

So I've had my Philips AirFryer for about two months and love it.

It has changed the way we eat in so far as we now have chips the odd night (previously we'd rarely have chips as we don't have a deep fat fryer and don't like oven chips) but most of all it's changed how we can quickly make a lunch or snack. We constantly have the following three things on the go:-

1. Char Siu Pork. I get the 1kg "Sunday Roast" joint from Aldi for €6 (the plain one not the one with stuffing) and chop it into 2cm wide strips following this recipe and keep them marinating in the fridge in a zip lock bag which over a 3-4 day period just disappears as people throw 4-5 pieces in the AirFryer for 10 minutes for a lunch or early dinner with some rice and veg.

2. I use the marinade in this General Tso wings recipe but leave out the cornflour and like the pork I just keep a zip lock bag full of wings marinating in the fridge at the weekend which also seem to disappear quickly.

3. During the week I also keep a few chicken breasts in a zip lock bag which have been drizzled in olive oil and then covered in a peri peri type spice rub which are frequently cooked and sliced onto a salad or used in a baguette for lunch etc.

The AirFryer has definitely had a positive impact. We're eating better and it's so easy/quick to use that it's often used in situations where in the past we'd have opted for a take away!!

Anyone else's XL bought on the Lightening Deal lost in transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did you use the Parcel Motel or regular post?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Did you use the Parcel Motel or regular post?

Regular post, Amazon are saying they handed it over to the courier ie An Post on the 23rd. An Post dont have it, will give it another day to see if it turns up!

Was just wondering if others who bought have had theirs delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Has anyone had any success with getting sweet potato chips crispy?Always a bit soggy/soft for me. I wonder am I missing a beat somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Regular post, Amazon are saying they handed it over to the courier ie An Post on the 23rd. An Post dont have it, will give it another day to see if it turns up!

Was just wondering if others who bought have had theirs delivered.

My one was lost in transit too. It was the smaller one though. Amazon sent a new one which is on the way now via iparcel. Original was sent via an post. Never happened with dozens of other orders from Amazon.

My one was lost in transit too. It was the smaller one though. Amazon sent a new one which is on the way now via iparcel. Original was sent via an post. Never happened with dozens of other orders from Amazon.

How long did you have to wait before you contacted Amazon?

This is the first time I have had an item go missing, and I have been buying off them nearly 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Has anyone had any success with getting sweet potato chips crispy?Always a bit soggy/soft for me. I wonder am I missing a beat somehow.

I use fine grade cornmeal on my roasties in the oven for extra crispiness so I'm going to experiment this week by sprinkling some on after the oil but before airfryer. I was looking at those outrageously overpriced new Irish ones in the local shop yesterday-€4 for 500grms. They use rice flour and most of the other brands use wheat, rice or maize flour as a coating. A bit of seasoning -paprika, garlic powder etc and I reckon you could recreate the crispiness/taste and have enough to satisfy everyone without spending a small fortune. Aldi have huge SPs for 49c this week and lidl are selling the cornmeal (blue Italiano packaging) for 89c. Its branded polenta but its the same thing.
    Doves Farm do a nice gluten free flour that has maize, rice and potato flour in it that would do the same job too. If the cornmeal doesn't work I'll try that next.

Amazon indicate to me that they handed mine over to parcel motel, no notification from parcel motel yet though.Will wait and see for a bit more.

Edit: Actually just checked parcel motel website - indicates it was checked in yesterday so it has been delivered to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've lost 3 Amazon parcels (one with a laptop SSD, one parcel with a laptop- and then one with accessories for the Actifryer) since the start of November.
    They have refunded them- however, that's not the point.
    In all cases- shipping was handled by 'Asendia' (obviously a shipping partner of some type or description).

What the hell is going on with Amazon?

I got an email today saying I was getting a refund, I queried why with Customer Service and they said it was damaged in transit. I can reorder again and they will give me the lower price that I originally got it at. Once I email in the new order number they will change the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

My ole lad bought an air fryer and I was dying to try it to see if it would be all that. I made the cooking club buttermilk chicken and it was really good. I'll be buying myself one at the weekend.

IMG_8504%20copy_zpsh98ert14.jpg

IMG_8507%20copy_zpsm7wt7tck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

For the sweet potato fries addicts. Just had our dinner, mixed garlic granules and celery salt into the fine polenta, par boiled SPs and tossed them in it then sprayed them with oil. Took about 25 mins at 200 for a full basket, turning them a couple of times after 10 mins and they came out really crispy and delish. Sprinkled a bit of micro planed gran padano on top for that decadent effect.
    I prefer the flavour from the cornmeal from the Asian supermarket so will get that instead for next time but I'm a fussy old yoke.
    Made the full basket for about 60c. excluding cheese. You could do a big batch and freeze some in a ziplock after the the tossing stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Anyone any had an success in doing nice mushrooms in the Philips airfryer ?

I have a punnet of mushrooms to use this evening for my dinner, want to hopefully throw them in the airfryer with my steak.

Advertisement