Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Haven't tried it myself but I'd be worried that the water mushrooms shed when cooking will affect how the steak cooks; might end up getting steamed rather than brown and crispy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

B0jangles wrote: »
    Haven't tried it myself but I'd be worried that the water mushrooms shed when cooking will affect how the steak cooks; might end up getting steamed rather than brown and crispy?

And the mushrooms- shrivelled up rubbery bits and bobs.
    Honestly- the best way to do mushrooms is to flash fry them in a little olive oil and sea salt- max of 20-30 seconds, no longer. They don't lend themselves to airfrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I've used mine a few times now. Ok, though probably a deep fat fryer is tastier if not as healthy.

I did some pork belly marinated in soy sauce, ginger & mustard seed. Smoked the whole kitchen up. Would probably be better off using an oven if I am honest. Easy to clean afterwards though.

Did some frozen chips. They were fine, better than oven chips. We normally cook homemade chips in deep fat fryer, the frozen chips were not up to that quality but I would not expect them to be coming from a bag. Have not yet tried cooking homemade chips in it.

Not disappointed I got it, it will have its place in the kitchen. Will possibly replace the deep fat fryer which tbh we only ever really use for chips. We might start keepinga bag of frozen chips in teh freezer, this could be handy for my (late teens) kids to cook snakcs for themselves. Maybe might throw some sausages in there to see how they go - we normally grill sausages. Maybe will try some southern fried chicken, with home made seasoning, would not have cooked items like that in deep fat fryer because of the hassle of changing the oil after.

All in all I don't see this significantly changing the way I cook. Will probably not cook anything in it that i would not have done previously in the oven/pan. I can't see why i would use it to cook a steak instead of using a cast-iron griddle pan. Sometimes hi-tech is not better.

contemporary-griddles-and-grill-pans.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Fian wrote: »
    I can't see why i would use it to cook a steak instead of using a cast-iron griddle pan. Sometimes hi-tech is not better.

contemporary-griddles-and-grill-pans.jpg

Have you cooked a steak in it yet? Anyone I've cooked steak for with mine has been amazed how good it is, nicer than what you'd get in a restaurant and sooo much simpler and cleaner to cook.

I can honestly say that mine has changed how I cooked and my diet (for the better) so much. Home made southern fried chicken, delicious fish, homemade sweet potato fries, baked eggs, fallafel, calimari, loaded skins, wedges....the list of things i can do easily now that i couldn't do before due to either hassle or not having a deep fat fryer is growing every week.

Mind you, i'm still torn between this and my halogen oven for doing home made and butcher beef burgers. Both machines give amazing results.

In any case, if it's not for you i'm sure you'd find plenty of people here or on adverts willing to take it off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Have you cooked a steak in it yet? Anyone I've cooked steak for with mine has been amazed how good it is, nicer than what you'd get in a restaurant and sooo much simpler and cleaner to cook.

I can honestly say that mine has changed how I cooked and my diet (for the better) so much. Home made southern fried chicken, delicious fish, homemade sweet potato fries, baked eggs, fallafel, calimari, loaded skins, wedges....the list of things i can do easily now that i couldn't do before due to either hassle or not having a deep fat fryer is growing every week.

Mind you, i'm still torn between this and my halogen oven for doing home made and butcher beef burgers. Both machines give amazing results.

In any case, if it's not for you i'm sure you'd find plenty of people here or on adverts willing to take it off your hands.

Well you have a point, I probably should actually cook a steak in it before commenting on it. though i wasn't saying it would do a bad job - just wondering why I would bother.

On the other hand searing a seasoned steak in a hot, pre-heated griddle pan is easy, quick, marks the steak with ridges, easy to clean after and makes a lovely sizzling sound to get me in the mood to eat it! It seems alot easier than heating up an airfryer. Plus there are 6 of us, I guess doing 6 steaks in the airfryer would not be as quick as on the pan.

As I say the airfryer will have a place in my kitchen, its just I think the griddle pan will have one too and will still be used to cook steaks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

need suggestion - when u load the philips air fryer with chicken drumsticks or nuggets or chips, how much do u fill?
    i was bit worried if they are one over the other, some of them won't get cooked.
    so i am ending up putting one layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

northknife wrote: »

I have one, been using for a few weeks. Am thrilled with it, very reasonable price, and comparable to the Phillips. Quiet to use, and food comes out great.Would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

need suggestion - when u load the philips air fryer with chicken drumsticks or nuggets or chips, how much do u fill?
    i was bit worried if they are one over the other, some of them won't get cooked.
    so i am ending up putting one layer.

The heating element is above the food and the hot air comes from above, through, bounces off the bottom in waves and back up, so I'd say it is getting cooked from above and below. If I put in a bigger load than usual I toss the food two or three times during cooking, seems to work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Kat1170 wrote: »
    The heating element is above the food and the hot air comes from above, through, bounces off the bottom in waves and back up, so I'd say it is getting cooked from above and below. If I put in a bigger load than usual I toss the food two or three times during cooking, seems to work for me.

thank you- will try to add few more pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

thank you- will try to add few more pieces

I found that with skinny chips or smaller pieces filling to about half the level works best but with stuff like chunky chips or onion rings they can be piled up a bit more as the air passes through them better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

So I cooked a fillet of salmon in the airfryer last night...............delicious!!!! actually nicer than from the oven.

Fian - Sausages from the airfryer are great its the only way I will cook them now, also rashers and pudding are lovely to.

My favourite though are Lidls fridge chicken wings.........crispy and juicy!

It is to early in the morning to be thinking of all this food :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I find the only sausages that come out good are the Superquinn sausages. 8mins at 200°c

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Abandon sausages- I've yet to persuade the kids to eat them- bacon, pudding etc- is lovely though. There is a setting for sausages- so I presumed they'd come out fine- but despite trying several different types- I'm giving up. They look nice- but their taste doesn't live up to the billing.

Superquinn and Aldi 80% pork (specially selected??) sausages are the only ones I have tried and no complaints! they do expand so I prick with a knife first......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

kellyshell wrote: »
    Superquinn and Aldi 80% pork (specially selected??) sausages are the only ones I have tried and no complaints! they do expand so I prick with a knife first......

Does that stop the skin becoming all wrinkly once out of the AirFryer a couple of minutes? That really puts me off grilled/airfryed sausages!!

Does that stop the skin becoming all wrinkly once out of the AirFryer a couple of minutes? That really puts me off grilled/airfryed sausages!!

no they are still slightly wrinkled but it stops them from exploding :D

kellyshell wrote: »
    no they are still slightly wrinkled but it stops them from exploding :D

I absolutely HATE wrinkly sausages which is why (the odd time I have them) I always fry them in a pan. :(

It seems there might be two solutions:-

1. Cook for longer at a much lower temperature. This prevents the casing from stretching under hot heat and then receding when it cools down resulting in wrinkling.

2. Boil the sausages for 10 minutes to actually cook them then pop them into the AirFryer for a few minutes to brown.

Might give both ideas a go over the Xmas when I'm fed up of Turkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I cook turkey sausages low and slow in my airfryer and they avoid the wrinkliness that way. I cooked an O'Flynn's sausage the other day for my OH. I boiled it first for ten minutes and popped it in the airfryer for 8 minutes at 200. After a few minutes on the plate it did go a little bit wrinkly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wonder if covering them in foil would help, the fryer is like a hairdryer blasting them non stop, so may dry them out more.

I have done them at lower temps and there was less, doesn't bother me though.

I warned against overdoing them before, they blow up like balloons and they may not appear brown enough, but once they cool a bit and contract they look far browner as the colour is more concentrated. Just like a long coloured balloon will be a lighter colour when inflated.

I have also put water in the bottom of the airfryer to sort of steam things and stop drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont understand people having trouble with sausages, mine come out pretty much indistinguishable from the frying pan, I dont do anything special either, just dump them in with the rest of the meat in a full Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

There is 2 things that take time and low heat. Imo . Sausages and mushrooms.
    Leave the airfryer for other thongs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

cjmc wrote: »
    That would be unhygienic and a fire hazard...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Thargor wrote: »

True . I never thought of doing sausages in it at lower temps . :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

cjmc wrote: »

Thargor wrote: »

Great way to warm them up of a cold winter's morning though :):):)

Throw in a few sausages as well, win win. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Has anybody done the Aldi Specially Selected Goose Fat Roast Potatoes in the airfryer before? If yes, how did they turn out and what temperature / time did you use?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Lads is this the one your all talking about,

Philips HD9220 Viva Air fryer with Rapid Air Technology.

578/4709 half price, now €90

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=PHILIPS+AIRFRYER&authToken=

danjo-xx wrote: »

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=PHILIPS+AIRFRYER&authToken=

Yes, that's the boyo. The one you've linked to (the 92/20) is the small version so just make sure it's going to be big enough for your needs. If you have a family of 2 adults and 2-3 kids you might need the bigger 92/40 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the before price on that is completely bogus, far higher than the alleged RRP, and you would be mad to pay the genuine RRP. Still a reasonable enough price though

Its about 83-84euro including delivery and the vat increase on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9220-20-Healthier-Airfryer/dp/B0042EU3A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482869169&sr=8-1&keywords=HD9220

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

rubadub wrote: »
    the before price on that is completely bogus, far higher than the alleged RRP, and you would be mad to pay the genuine RRP. Still a reasonable enough price though

Its about 83-84euro including delivery and the vat increase on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9220-20-Healthier-Airfryer/dp/B0042EU3A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482869169&sr=8-1&keywords=HD9220

If I could get it here over the next few days, I wouldn't mind paying up to
    €90. Unfortunately argos have none in my store and it can't be ordered:(

Hoping curry's or did etc might have em soon at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

If I could get it here over the next few days, I wouldn't mind paying up to
    €90. Unfortunately argos have none in my store and it can't be ordered:(

Hoping curry's or did etc might have em soon at that price.

As Far as i Know the philips airfryer hd 9220/20 is €99.99 in the DID sale. Thats whats on their website.

Advertisement