Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

dasa29 wrote: »
    As Far as i Know the philips airfryer hd 9220/20 is €99.99 in the DID sale. Thats whats on their website.

Yeah I saw that, but I'll hold out until the first week in the new year for a
    better offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

SuperValu have these coated chicken chunks at €6 for two boxes (think boneless buffalo wings). Awful in the oven, incredible in the airfryer. Especially with Franks hot sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

danjo-xx wrote: »
    If I could get it here over the next few days, I wouldn't mind paying up to
    €90. Unfortunately argos have none in my store and it can't be ordered:(
    this site lets you enter in up to 10 argos shops to check stock all at once. might not be of use if there is only 1 near you though.

also has a history of prices and can email you on price changes, similar to camelcamelcamel for amazon.co.uk

http://checkargos.com/product/5784709

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

My Airfryer seems to produce a lot of smoke

I probably used too much oil on the first batch of steak and spuds I did so maybe the element got covered in oil

Any ideas/suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Clean it? There are quite a few videos online on how to clean your airfryer properly. Basically you just wipe it down. I use a soft cloth on the element whenever I have done something that splatters a bit. No smoke :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Have you only used it a few times so far? If so, it'll probably just get better by itself; mine was smoky for a little while at the start too but it's fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its oil in the bottom that smokes on mine, sometimes Ill put a kettle full of boiling water in there with some washing up liquid and give it a full half an hour run @ 200 to steam the crap out of it then a scrub. It'll be good for another few weeks then. Mine is a couple of years old now and still performing well, the original small manual timer one that started these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Clean it? There are quite a few videos online on how to clean your airfryer properly. Basically you just wipe it down. I use a soft cloth on the element whenever I have done something that splatters a bit. No smoke :)

That is more what I meant to ask, if there was a particular way to clean the element, will look that up so
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Have you only used it a few times so far? If so, it'll probably just get better by itself; mine was smoky for a little while at the start too but it's fine now.

Only used it a few time so far, it is probably a combination of that and splatter from the first use
    Thargor wrote: »
    Its oil in the bottom that smokes on mine, sometimes Ill put a kettle full of boiling water in there with some washing up liquid and give it a full half an hour run @ 200 to steam the crap out of it then a scrub. It'll be good for another few weeks then. Mine is a couple of years old now and still performing well, the original small manual timer one that started these threads.

Thanks, that sounds like a good cleaning method

Which is the best oil to use, as only a tea spoon full required, could use Rapeseed oil, only €4.99 in aldi 500ml.

I dont use oil in the Airfryer, theres plenty already in most of the food I cook.

• Advertisement

Which is the best oil to use, as only a tea spoon full required, could use Rapeseed oil, only €4.99 in aldi 500ml.

You might be confusing it with the actifry, you said you were planning on getting the airfryer which you do not add oil to, it instructs you not to, the actifry is supposed to get oil added.

Sorry lads was reading some of the posts about cooking and were all talking
    about the oil, yeah I've ordered the Philips airfryer, thats great if it needs no oil at all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sorry lads was reading some of the posts about cooking and were all talking
    about the oil, yeah I've ordered the Philips airfryer, thats great if it needs no oil at all:)
    The only oil you use is the tiny amount that you rub into steaks and other foods to get seasoning to stick to them. Never use oil directly in the Philips airfryer.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The only oil you use is the tiny amount that you rub into steaks and other foods to get seasoning to stick to them. Never use oil directly in the Philips airfryer.

Is it same with chips, no oil at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes, Chips cook great without the oil and frozen ones have a coating of oil on them already. Shake chips a few times during cooking.

I have said before the term "airfryer" is a misnomer, its a quick heating fan oven with a fast fan, therefore it cooks food faster as it's blasting it with hot air, its like having a heat gun blasting the food.

The main complaints I have seen are that it is not able to cook chips like a deep fat fryer. Philips have done themselves a disservice by naming it "fryer" and making out chips will be like from a fryer. I certainly would not compare it to a deep fat fryer

In saying that I much prefer oven chips from it than from a regular oven. As said above oven chips are typically partially cooked and already contain oil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I toss home made chips in about a tablespoon of oil before cooking them in the Airfryer - I can't imagine them tasting nearly as nice without oil. Not all of the oil goes into the airfryer but they need to be well coated. Oven chips etc don't need it because they've already been cooked in oil.

It depends.

If you are using frozen chips, they generally have oil on them already, so no need.

However, if you are using raw potatoes, I would always add a couple of spoonfuls of vegetable oil to ensure they get that lovely golden colour.

In my experience, these are the best in the airfryer, they just need a few drops of oil:

5017342006831_2.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Where do you buy those Tom Dunne?

Yeah Ive never seen those before in my life and Im a bit of a supermarket nerd, cant pass one without going in for a snoop around :D

Looks like its Tesco:

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292292949

First product Ive seen where they specifically reccomend Airfrying next to the other instructioons aswell, must give them a go now...

• Advertisement

Where do you buy those Tom Dunne?

I've seen them in Supervalu and Tesco.

How long and at what temp do you cook the oven chips

and for the home made chips.

If this does nothing else but cook nice chips it will be a godsend, as deep fat fryer here is a deathtrap, oil feckin everywhere. Trying to get someone else to bin it asap.

Its one of these yokes and shaking the basket throws oil all over the outside
    and over the control knobs.:mad:

https://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=638&q=deep+fat+fryer&oq=deep+fat+fryer&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1135.4084.0.4571.14.13.0.1.1.0.133.1073.10j2.12.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.13.1073.2ZvibIneVc8#imgrc=rwjMLFkxO10ASM%3A

I toss home made chips in about a tablespoon of oil before cooking them in the Airfryer - I can't imagine them tasting nearly as nice without oil. .
    +1, they would be terrible without oil, like baking peeled potatoes. I was saying the airfryer is really a fan oven with a faster fan, which reduced cooking time as the hot air if refreshed so often.

You do not have to add oil like an tefal actifry, as in add oil to the machine. But you treat stuff just like you would if cooking it in the oven. So if making your own version of oven chips or wedges you coat them with oil, just as you would in a regular oven. But you do not add "free oil" in the bottom of it like you do in an actifry.

Tbh you're not going to get it to match chips out of a deep fat frier, the best you'll get is that it does oven chips a lot better than a conventional oven, good but nowhere near homemade chips done properly in clean oil. I dont really bother with chips anymore, if I feel like lazy and want some some fried potato with a meal Ill throw in a couple of frozen croutons or waffles from Aldi, they come out perfect. So do onion rings and hash browns.

Mine is purely for cooking meat. It cooks most meat and fish to perfection faster and cleaner than an oven or frying pan which is why I love it, by the time Ive microwaved or steamed some veg the meat is ready, perfect meal in 15-20 minutes with no washing up. The crappy kitchen in the house I share with other people was such a pain to try and cook in before the Airfryer came along.

How long and at what temp do you cook the oven chips

and for the home made chips.

The chips I linked above - usually at 200C and for about 15 -20 mins, shaking regularly (quite important).

Frozen/oven chips - 180C around 15 mins, again, shaking regularly.

Tip for using regular potatoes: cubes actually work the best, rather than regular chip shapes. I assume it's because of the lower surface area, and the complete covering in oil ensures they colour better.

Also: If using fresh potatoes, soak in water for 20-30 mins before hand to remove the starch. Dry them well and then add the few tablespoons of oil. Worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

First run of my new actifryer tonight. Gonna bung in the chips. Any recommendations for anything else to throw in?. My culinary skills would be fairly limited. ��.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

squadro wrote: »
    First run of my new actifryer tonight. Gonna bung in the chips. Any recommendations for anything else to throw in?. My culinary skills would be fairly limited. ��.

Frozen onion rings and breaded garlic mushrooms turn out really well, if you're looking for something else for on the side.

squadro wrote: »
    Steak! Philips would nearly have been better off marketing it as a steak and other meats cooker than a chips cooker...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Had a takeaway instead. Will try actifryer tomorrow. Bit reluctant to bung in a steak being an actifryer virgin mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

squadro wrote:
    Had a takeaway instead. Will try actifryer tomorrow. Bit reluctant to bung in a steak being an actifryer virgin mind.

Steak turns out perfectly in the Philips Airfryer. I like my steak medium and I cook it at 180 degrees for 4 mins, turn and 4 mins again. Make sure the Airfryer is heated up first. You'll obviously need to adjust times depending on the thickness of the steak. The fillet and rib eye steaks from lidl and aldi are the best I've tried in it. It's great for pork and lamb chops too!

Advertisement