Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Thargor wrote: »
    Its oil in the bottom that smokes on mine, sometimes Ill put a kettle full of boiling water in there with some washing up liquid and give it a full half an hour run @ 200 to steam the crap out of it then a scrub. It'll be good for another few weeks then. Mine is a couple of years old now and still performing well, the original small manual timer one that started these threads.

I did this today and then cooked steak this evening

Smoked more than ever

Will give it another steam and clean and then run it empty for a while to see if it can burn off whatever is causing the smoke

The steak cooks brilliantly though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

oh fcuk I researched this soo well but one thing I didn't think of was the
    weight of the basket, even when empty it's too heavy for me to shake around.

I used it once but no way it has to go because of the weight.

runs over to adverts:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I see a Daewoo Airfryer in Tesco for €45.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

danjo-xx wrote: »
    oh fcuk I researched this soo well but one thing I didn't think of was the
    weight of the basket, even when empty it's too heavy for me to shake around.

I used it once but no way it has to go because of the weight.

runs over to adverts:(

I assume you mean the weight of the basket and the base together, as the basket itself is not much heavier than whatever you're cooking, once you detach it from the base..

(Perhaps you have arthritis or similar, and I can see how the entirety would be quite heavy)..

It might be worth noting that the larger version is different, in that the base slides out on rails, and you just lift the basket alone out..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

UsedToWait wrote: »
    the basket itself is not much heavier than whatever you're cooking, once you detach it from the base.

Yeah you press the grey button and you can lift the basket out. Or you can just lift it up a little out of the solid basket and shake things.

panier-noir-pour-friteuse-philips-hd9220-20-42.jpg

• Advertisement

I assume you mean the weight of the basket and the base together, as the basket itself is not much heavier than whatever you're cooking, once you detach it from the base..

(Perhaps you have arthritis or similar, and I can see how the entirety would be quite heavy)..

It might be worth noting that the larger version is different, in that the base slides out on rails, and you just lift the basket alone out..

and old age:D

Yeah I see the basket detaches, but I find the base and basket a bit non elderly friendly, all right if doing it just the once maybe but taking it out several times to toss the chips would be a bit of a pain for me.

Anyone interested in buying it off me, waterford city pm me, will be putting it up on adverts later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You don't have to shake the basket to turn the chips etc. I just use a fork to turn them, no hot oil to worry about like a deep fat fryer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I used to be too lazy to clip the basket out to shake it. The base fell off and bounced across the floor - twice - and the second time the plastic on the bottom at the front cracked :(

Kat1170 wrote: »
    You don't have to shake the basket to turn the chips etc. I just use a fork to turn them, no hot oil to worry about like a deep fat fryer.

Great suggestion will definitely keep it so, thanks.

Dont want to end up like this :D
    I used to be too lazy to clip the basket out to shake it. The base fell off and bounced across the floor - twice - and the second time the plastic on the bottom at the front cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

I have the Philips arifryer, love it, but want to upgrade now to the bigger size one, just looking for a good deal, they are very expensive. Anyone that has the bigger one, can you fit a lot more in them? I havnt actually seen them in real life, just from pics on the internet, so its hard to judge.

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    I have the Philips arifryer, love it, but want to upgrade now to the bigger size one, just looking for a good deal, they are very expensive. Anyone that has the bigger one, can you fit a lot more in them? I havnt actually seen them in real life, just from pics on the internet, so its hard to judge.

I'd say double at a guess, but the listings will tell you in kg / litre capacity.
    You need to keep an eye on Amazon lightning deals for the best price - I paid 165stg, and they often come up on Amazon.de also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

mel123 wrote: »

I can get 2 X 800g packs of supermarket chicken wings into my Philips XL. Takes a bit longer to cook them and you need to toss them to make sure they all get some "air" time but it works very well. Same with frozen chips. I can get a full 1KG bag of these Aldi homestyle chips into the basket which easily feeds a family of four made up of two adults and two teenage kids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tom Dunne wrote: »

In my experience, these are the best in the airfryer, they just need a few drops of oil:

5017342006831_2.JPG

We had these tonight and I have to agree, they were the nicest chips I've ever cooked in the airfryer. I cut the pack open, drizzled in a little oil and squished the pack between my hands until all the chips were coated - no bowl to wash!
    They were two packs for €3 today in Dunnes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I cant find them anywhere.

We had these tonight and I have to agree, they were the nicest chips I've ever cooked in the airfryer. I cut the pack open, drizzled in a little oil and squished the pack between my hands until all the chips were coated - no bowl to wash!

I was looking for those in my local SV today but no joy. I know tesco have them. I don't expect these to be gluten free, but might be GF friendly if there are no ingredients highlighted in bold

You don't happen to know DB or anyone else know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

According to the SuperValu website the only ingredients are potatoes and antioxidant, so should be gluten free.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/fruit-vegetables-potatoes-you-say-potato-fresh-cut-chips-500-grams-/p-1459660000

According to the SuperValu website the only ingredients are potatoes and antioxidant, so should be gluten free.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/fruit-vegetables-potatoes-you-say-potato-fresh-cut-chips-500-grams-/p-1459660000

Thats gas I couldn't find them anywhere on their website, I was looking under
    Frozen Foods, would never have thought of looking under vegetables /potatoes:D

I presume they are in the freezer section and not some chiller, in store,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Thats gas I couldn't find them anywhere on their website, I was looking under
    Frozen Foods, would never have thought of looking under vegetables /potatoes:D

I presume they are in the freezer section and not some chiller, in store,

Nope, they should be in the chiller with other freshly prepared vegetables.

Smaller (analog) model at £69 on Amazon today.
    Sterling good value at present also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Smaller (analog) model at £69 on Amazon today.
    Sterling good value at present also.

only for prime members

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    only for prime members

Oh sorry..
    They may be still doing the free one month trial though?

Could you quantify 'a little oil' please - a tablespoon? two?

And how long did you cook for and at what temp please?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Hi all Im thinking of buying the xl one from Amazon de, Im just wondering will it come with a German plug and if so will it be ok to use with an adapter?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00BS97UUA/ref=pe_386171_38075861_TE_item

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

nihicib2 wrote: »
    Hi all Im thinking of buying the xl one from Amazon de, Im just wondering will it come with a German plug and if so will it be ok to use with an adapter?

Thanks

I got an XL in an Amazon Warehouse deal. It came with a two pronged EU plug so I purchased this 13 Amp adaptor and it's been working perfectly for me.

nihicib2 wrote: »

Thanks

It will as far as I know.
    From my understanding, you can just cut the plug off, and fit a 3 pin, but double check with someone who knows what they're talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Any electrical item I have ordered from amazon.de has come with a continental plug. You should be fine using an adapter. I use an adapter for my kitchen machine that I brought from Germany. Once the warranty is up you could always change the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Great thanks a mill, Amazon de here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

I'm going to get one of thees in the next week or two just waiting to clear some kitchen space the weekend for it.

Are they good thought , like is there a real difference between doing the chips in it compared to to doing home made oven one and do you still have to par boil the potatoes or just cut em n chuck em in similar to a traditional deep fat fryer or chip pan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It will as far as I know.
    From my understanding, you can just cut the plug off, and fit a 3 pin, but double check with someone who knows what they're talking about!

you can but warranty might be voided. There are neater adaptors available.

2-to-3-pin.jpg

Make sure its from a reputable seller, and 13A rated, its not a radio we are dealing with, its a fairly high power device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Are they good thought , like is there a real difference between doing the chips in it compared to to doing home made oven one and do you still have to par boil the potatoes or just cut em n chuck em in similar to a traditional deep fat fryer or chip pan ?

I microwave the raw chips first, they come out much better!

Advertisement