Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Are you living on the Aran Islands or does your religion not show you to go to your local supermarket on a Monday?

No need to be rude. I assume you have no actual tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Whispered wrote: »
    Anybody any tips on potato gratin? Going to attempt one today. I don't have deep ramekins, only shallow oven dishes. Also have no cream. Will it work if I slice potatoes thinly and mix into milk, chopped chives and garlic powder mix (no fresh garlic either), then layer up to the top of the oven dish, pour over leftover milk and herb mixture then par with butter?
    Do I need to par cook the potatoes first?
    Cover them with foil for the first half of cooking?
    I'm thinking 160 would be hot enough in the airfryer - anything higher might crisp it before cooking it?

Great idea! Will try it myself. I have never precooked the potatoes for a gratin. Once they are thin enough they should be cooked at the end. Substituting cream with milk isn't a problem either. You are making up for it with the butter.

Google found several recipes, for example this:
    http://airfryer-recipes.weebly.com/potato-gratin-airfryer-recipe.html

Omitting the cheese should be fine. I'm not that keen on cheesy potatoes and usually "forget" the cheese.

Let us know how you got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anybody any tips on potato gratin? Going to attempt one today. I don't have deep ramekins, only shallow oven dishes. Also have no cream. Will it work if I slice potatoes thinly and mix into milk, chopped chives and garlic powder mix (no fresh garlic either), then layer up to the top of the oven dish, pour over leftover milk and herb mixture then par with butter?
    Do I need to par cook the potatoes first?
    Cover them with foil for the first half of cooking?
    I'm thinking 160 would be hot enough in the airfryer - anything higher might crisp it before cooking it?

How about using a thin roux instead of cream? I always par cook the potatoes, because i hate the "hit and miss" of biting into crunchy half cooked spuds! If you use a mandolin slicer, and steam the slices for about 10 mins, they come out great.

Thanks! We are having a different cheesy side so I'm going to leave the cheese out of the gratin or the whole dinner will be too rich. I've to do two as the dishes are single serving dishes so I migh par cook for one of them and try the other raw! I've only ever tried to make one once before, in the oven, it split and was disgusting looking. Hoping to avoid that.

Will let you know how it goes!

Will let you know how it goes!

Not fantastically well. The potatoes didn't cook very well nor did they absorb much of the liquid. Taste was nice, top layer was fab but the lower layers were undercooked and watery. I'd use more floury potatoes next time (any recommendation on a type?) and lower the temperature for a longer cooking time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

Anyone know where I can buy Philips Airfryer XL in Ireland? With five adults in the house, I think the regular one is probably too small. An electrical appliance shop here in Cork told me that Philips Ireland doesn't supply the larger model!
    I tried some high street shops like Currys, Debenhams, Harvey Norman, Argos but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

nolo1 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can buy Philips Airfryer XL in Ireland? With five adults in the house, I think the regular one is probably too small. An electrical appliance shop here in Cork told me that Philips Ireland doesn't supply the larger model!
    I tried some high street shops like Currys, Debenhams, Harvey Norman, Argos but no joy.

Why not just order it from Amazon and if necessary use ParcelWizard to have it delivered to your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Amazon uk delivery is free to Ireland, ends up 231.92euro at checkout using their rate

amazon de is 215.24 including delivery, but Estimated delivery: 24 Jun 2017 - 10 July 2017

while uk is get it by Jun. 3-5

They might be overestimating that german one. It would also have a EU plug, I would suggest rewiring to a UK plug rather than use an adaptor.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00BS97UUA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I tried a ham in it today instead of using the oven. Boiled the ham as normal then put glaze on it and threw it in the air fryer at 180 for 10-12 minutes. It turned out lovely and juicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Davexirl wrote:
    I tried a ham in it today instead of using the oven. Boiled the ham as normal then put glaze on it and threw it in the air fryer at 180 for 10-12 minutes. It turned out lovely and juicy.

That looks divine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That looks great, what kind of glaze? Im going to give it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Thargor wrote: »
    That looks great, what kind of glaze? Im going to give it a go...

Lakeshore Ham Glaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

Thanks for the advice Rubadub. I was slow to order online because if there were issues, I presume I would have to bear the cost of transporting it back to Amazon.
    Je suis Jean suggested using Parcelwizard - I never thought of this. I have no experience of Parcelwizard - I have a Parcel Motel account but I think their boxes might be too small. I'm definitely tempted to take my chances and order through Parcelwizard. Thanks to both of you for the advice.

nolo1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Rubadub. I was slow to order online because if there were issues, I presume I would have to bear the cost of transporting it back to Amazon.
    It will probably cost more to use parcelmotel/wizard, and if something goes wrong I think you have more of an issue as they have that as your delivery address.

Post is free on amazon as its over ?25. You have to pay Irish VAT rather than UK VAT, but I still think the savings in that will be less than parcelmotel fees. Parcelwizard will also have limits and if over they charge more too.

I got mine on amazon, they sent it in its original philips box, i.e. not inside yet another box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Tefal Actifry 1kg is down to €119 in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Quick question that I can't find on google or the recipe book
    How long / temp to cook both frozen fish fillet and frozen chips ?

cjmc wrote: »
    Quick question that I can't find on google or the recipe book
    How long / temp to cook both frozen fish fillet and frozen chips ?

which have you? the airfryer instructions say to go for half the time indicated on the packet. I usually do not preheat so follow that advice and add on 5mins. Somethings might need a bit more or less.

It can depend on how much is in it though, a basket crammed with thick frozen chips is going to take longer than a basket with only a handful of them. If unsure just go on the low side and stick them in for longer if not done, you get to learn times needed, I like the fact it is so easy to check on stuff compared to my regular oven.

I usually leave my fish to defrost or partially defrost in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Also depends on the chips, skinny ones obviously quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Any indications as yet what is the lifecycle of airfryers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Any indications as yet what is the lifecycle of airfryers?

You need two airfryers. One male and the other female. They normally mate in the spring. The female normally lays her eggs underneath a frying pan. When the eggs hatch after approximately 3 weeks they will slowly begin to eat the frying pan. It is a mechanism to make frying pans extinct so the airfryers can take over completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

You need two airfryers. One male and the other female. They normally mate in the spring. The female normally lays her eggs underneath a frying pan. When the eggs hatch after approximately 3 weeks they will slowly begin to eat the frying pan. It is a mechanism to make frying pans extinct so the airfryers can take over completely.

Also when breeding airfryers it is vital to make sure that the cuckoo airfryer or 'actifry' does not infiltrate the nesting site as it will eject all the airfryer eggs and replace them with its own, well-disguised clutch.

Seriously though, I've had mine for about 3 years now, it gets close to daily use and so far it's going strong, apart from damage to the bottom of the drawer caused by 'someone' dropping it, and a slight looseness in the catch that attaches the basket to the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Mine going strong with a couple of years of daily use on it aswell, I suppose the fan will have to go sometime but it could be years. It has some black gunk on the basket thats impossible to shift and the drip tray has lost most of its antistick coating but that's to be expected after so many cooking cycles. God knows how much money it's saved me, I barely use takeaways anymore.

rubadub wrote: »
    which have you? the airfryer instructions say to go for half the time indicated on the packet. I usually do not preheat so follow that advice and add on 5mins. Somethings might need a bit more or less.

It can depend on how much is in it though, a basket crammed with thick frozen chips is going to take longer than a basket with only a handful of them. If unsure just go on the low side and stick them in for longer if not done, you get to learn times needed, I like the fact it is so easy to check on stuff compared to my regular oven.

I usually leave my fish to defrost or partially defrost in the fridge.

Airfryer. . I never knew to halve the cooking time on the instructions:0 thanks

The white philips manual one is £75 on amazon with free delivery, price will go up a little with irish vat applied.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006023RLQ/ref=twister_B006K0QAJO?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Anyone do a well done roast beef in one ? Tips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

cjmc wrote:
    Anyone do a well done roast beef in one ? Tips ?

Don't overcook it :D

rawn wrote: »
    Don't overcook it :D

Ah a wee bit over cooked. It was only a 1kg roast so 45 + mins with turning prob would have been grand instead of the 60 I did .
    We ate it all the same ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Anyone any suggestions for time and temperature for chunky chips in airfryer. The skinny chips I'll do for 8mins at 200c but I find the chunkier chips can taste a bit dry. I would usually just do them for longer at 200c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

For thicker chips and wedges, I usually cook them at 180 for 8-10 minutes, then finish them at 200 for about 5 minutes more - they usally come out nice and crisp on the outside and still fluffy inside :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Thanks.

Advertisement