Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding times when roasting vegetables?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

megaten wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions regarding times when roasting vegetables?

Depends on what you like- I've done carrots @ 200 for 10 mins- in chunky sticks (not rounds). Comes out with a slight crust- but still crunchy inside.

C'est depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ok, I decided to give the airfryer a good clean as it was smoking badly . The element fell down and came away totally from the wires !!
    Does anyone know of a repair service that can fix it locally as I'm lost without it !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

cjmc wrote: »
    Ok, I decided to give the airfryer a good clean as it was smoking badly . The element fell down and came away totally from the wires !!
    Does anyone know of a repair service that can fix it locally as I'm lost without it !!

Probably be as cheap to buy a new Airfryer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

You've just reminded me that the white dial-version phillips airfryer is 189 in Harvey Norman at the moment

http://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/philips-airfryer-white-hd9220-50.html

The black digital one is 199.99 in Currys

http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/396.2.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

B0jangles wrote: »
    For thicker chips and wedges, I usually cook them at 180 for 8-10 minutes, then finish them at 200 for about 5 minutes more
    I do lots of things on lower temps now. I think too many are thinking it has to be fast, like it is the point of the thing. The fact it has a timer and turns off and loses heat quickly is a great advantage. Even it if took twice as long it would not bother me much, as it comes out so good and is so energy efficient.

It is like how so many people insist on cooking/destroying food on full power in microwaves but would never dream of cooking everything at full power/temp in the oven or hob. I have cooked chicken at 120C for a long time, before ramping up at the end to crisp up. Sausages at 140-160C come out really good. The "number" seems so wrong, but so did the initial limit of 200C. Stuff at 200C looked like it was cooked at 250C, so it makes sense stuff at 140-150C will still be good.
    Might be cheaper to get a new one as said. They are very basic devices though, if you know anybody who has a basic knowledge of electrics they might be able to fix it. If you post a photo of the wires etc I would have a better idea how easy it is.
    You've just reminded me that the white dial-version phillips airfryer is 189 in Harvey Norman at the moment
    Checked amazon.de for the XL there, and discovered there is also a XXL!

XL is 199

XXL 340
    https://www.amazon.de/Philips-Airfryer-HD9240-90-Hei%C3%9Fluftfritteuse/dp/B00BS97UUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507584419&sr=8-2&keywords=philips+airfryer

https://www.amazon.de/Philips-HD9652-90-Hei%C3%9Fluftfritteuse-digitales/dp/B074Q85BNF/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1507584419&sr=8-15&keywords=philips+airfryer

XL says it does 1.2kg, XXL says 1.4kg.

Opinions please , i had an air fryer ex large which i thought was great till it broke . I saw an actifryer on tesco on sale for 79 j think. How do they compare and. Any difference in cooking with them ??

Opinions please , i had an air fryer ex large which i thought was great till it broke . I saw an actifryer on tesco on sale for 79 j think. How do they compare and. Any difference in cooking with them ??
    The actifry is prone to breaking, lots of reports of it. How did your airfryer break? I think all the XLs are digital/electronic, I would prefer if they were basic electrical like the basic one. THere is little to go wrong, and they can be made to work even if broken.

I would hold out for "black friday" type deals which might be coming soon.

rubadub wrote: »
    The actifry is prone to breaking, lots of reports of it. How did your airfryer break? I think all the XLs are digital/electronic, I would prefer if they were basic electrical like the basic one. THere is little to go wrong, and they can be made to work even if broken.

I would hold out for "black friday" type deals which might be coming soon.

The element came off it completly , whether by accident or not I don’t know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

+1

You'll find a lot of places flogging white or silver ones- they just don't tend to sell very well in the UK and Ireland (where black is everyone's preferred choice). The black equivalent to this might be twice the price of the white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The white one has a round basket? I never realised that, there must be a difference in performance then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thargor wrote: »
    The white one has a round basket? I never realised that, there must be a difference in performance then?

The chips in it look a bit on the overdone side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

http://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/philips-airfryer-white-hd9220-50.html

The black digital one is 199.99 in Currys

http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/396.2.9

The black digital one is coming up as €159.99 now. Sounds like great value!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

I bought the Philips HD9220/20 back in June and it only cost me €149.00. It has a different model number but looks identical to the white one posted here (only mine's black!). And it has the same capacity as the white one in the Amazon link.
    Not sure what the differece is. Strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Philips HD9230/20 at £129 amazon

F34WB6PI4VQP725.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Spatter-Guard-For-Phillips-Airfryer/

They just cut up a regular spatter guard that goes on a frying pan. Some might already have an old one with a tear in it.

This would also stop bacon blowing about and curling up or overlapping onto other bits.

I made a similar thing with an old deep fat fryer basket, but it was just to hold stuff down on top of pizzas, so it was not stopping fat hitting the element.

Interesting but its grease dropping down and burning in the bottom of the basket on mine that causes the problems, food doesnt really spatter upwards in them Ive found.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bought the actifry 3 years ago or so
    Went for it over the airfryer due to the paddle moving food around for more even cooking
    Not sure I made the right decision tbh and now am getting tempted to get the Phillips if I see it at a good price
    The actifry motor went after about 9 months
    Replaced under warranty so that was grand
    Paddle broke when I dropped it cleaning it !
    The seal around container is now broken and the lid is not clipping together securely

I had also bought the snack tray which was handy too

Does the Actifry have a 100% failure rate or something? Everyone who has one repeats the same list of problems, I feel like I've read the above post 50 times...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I finished off the pork crackling for yesterday's dinner in the Airfryer and it was the best I've ever tasted, it was light and crisp :)

km79 wrote: »
    Paddle broke when I dropped it cleaning it !

Guy I know said he was in (I think) powercity and they said htey had to take the paddles out of the display models as people were coming in nicking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I guess I should have bought the Phillips !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Philips HD9216

Argos - stg area £79.99 http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7594265

And it’s €97.99 in ROI

vicwatson wrote: »
    Philips HD9216
    Never saw that code before, full code is HD9216/41 seems to be identical to the older manual dial one but the dial is black

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9216-41-Airfryer-Technology/dp/B0757ZBDGF/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1510739991&sr=1-1&keywords=Philips+HD9216

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9220-20-Healthier-Airfryer/dp/B0042EU3A2/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1510740031&sr=1-1&keywords=Philips+HD9220

The main body looks like it is grey, hard to tell from the computer image.

11170022-8469110df7b9219263f619e8ee20edc7.jpg

71uGCtlM08L._SY524_.jpg

EDIT- it is grey "a subtle charcoal grey colour" another "• Colour: Cashmere grey"

it would be another model to stick in camelcamelcamel if you are tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I finished off the pork crackling for yesterday's dinner in the Airfryer and it was the best I've ever tasted, it was light and crisp :)

Sounds like a great idea. I presume you cut it off after finishing roasting the meat, season it and then put it in airfryer?

For how long? What temp (Max i imagine?) No need to put olive oil or anything on it I guess?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Fian wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea. I presume you cut it off after finishing roasting the meat, season it and then put it in airfryer?

For how long? What temp (Max i imagine?) No need to put olive oil or anything on it I guess?

I'd dried the rind, scored it with a blade before putting the joint in the oven and rubbed salt into it so it was almost crisp when the meat was cooked. Then I cut it off and put it into the Airfryer at 200C for 10 minutes, then just a couple of minutes more to get it all crisp. You need to keep an eye on it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Had an Air fryer (Philips 922something) delivered yesterday and haven't used it yet.

I've done a lot of reading on this thread and tried to look at some youtubers (all awful US homemade, rubbish presentation and bad recipes) but I've a couple of quick question:

I'm fussy about oil, I notice a lot of people recommending using olive oil doing chips? That sounds all sorts of wrong to me.
    Is it possible to use a blob of lard/goose/duck fat in the air fryer?

When using oil is spraying oil into the food better than pouring in oil?

humberklog wrote: »
    Is it possible to use a blob of lard/goose/duck fat in the air fryer?
    Yes no problem. I guess they say olive oil as they are under the impression it is healthy or something.

However you do not add oil to the airfryer though, that is the actifry. You just roll them in oil like you were doing wedges in an oven. The airfryer is simply a fan oven with a very fast fan, the basket also allows air to cook the underside of the food, and there is a turbine shaped indent in the bottom so air swirls back up from the underside.

There is nothing magical about it, you are not going to have chipper chips out of it with a very light oiling, chips need fat, simple as. I would take them out and add toss in oil again, the fan can tend to blow oil off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Great, so for example something I'm looking forward to trying is salmon darns marinaded in teriyaki and coated in panko, lemon zest and thyme. I just place them in the basket for the allotted time and Bob's my uncle?

Advertisement