Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Thargor wrote: »
    Interesting thanks, any type of spuds or just White?

Wilson’s are normally the best but I’ve used the whites in lidl too
    Don’t sit them too thin, try and keep them chip shop size

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Air fryer
    Soak them for half an hour and rinse thoroughly
    Simmer for 10 minutes
    Pat dry and let cool
    Tablespoon of oil and away you go
    160* for a while then 190* to brown
    Close to the chipper as I can get

When you say simmered... you mean in boiling water? Or..?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When you say simmered... you mean in boiling water? Or..?

yes, many people parboil roast potatoes in a similar way. The outside fluffs up a bit and holds a bit more oil and gets more crispy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Haven't used it much since the first time, other than a chicken breast on the bone (which didn't work out great, I think the portions were too big).

But I had some cabbage and mash left over from last night so I mixed them together with chives and covered it in breadcrumbs. 7 minutes on 140, turned them and another 7 minutes on 200...delicious fancy croquettes!

37882867394_ed625113fd_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Any advice...

I ordered that 0.8L capacity Philips one on Amazon, but now I see this "Tower T14004 Low Fat Rapid Air Fryer with Digital Timer, 1400 W, 3.2 L - Black" one for near same price.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SX6VPZW?ref=emc_b_5_t&th=1

Has anyone here used one of these? Is the extra space worth an unknown brand?

• Advertisement

Any advice...

I ordered that 0.8L capacity Philips one on Amazon
    The phillips is 800g, not 0.8L. Meaning the basket can hold up to 800g of food but the volume is more.

e.g. see what they say about the XL one
    Philips HD9240 High Capacity Digital Airfryer. The HD 9240 XL Avance Airfryer from Philips is the big daddy! Its small companions have a 0.8Kg capacity, this one has 1.2Kg capacity (or 3 litres of space). So for customers with big families, this is the one for you.

So the philips 3L only holds 50% more food than the regular 800g. The volume to food weight ratio might not be the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The regular sized Airfryer is down to £59.99 on Amazon if anyone's looking for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

The regular sized Airfryer is down to £59.99 on Amazon if anyone's looking for one.

Really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

magentis wrote: »
    Really?

Yes, there's another three hours left on the offer. I've ordered one for my mother for Christmas.
    It comes in at €70.19

€4 smoked bacon joint 160* for an hour and it’s perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would that be setting off smoke alarms during the hour? How did you season it or prep it first or did you just dump it in out of the packet? I often look at all those joints in Aldi and wonder about putting them in the Airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Would that be setting off smoke alarms during the hour? How did you season it or prep it first or did you just dump it in out of the packet? I often look at all those joints in Aldi and wonder about putting them in the Airfryer.
    I regularly do small joints in the Airfryer.....temp down to 160 and maybe a bit of tinfoil over top nearer the end of cooking.
    It does take a bit practice regardless time and temp...

Soaked it in water for a while to remove some of the salt and they as you say dumped it in
    I was expecting smoke but there was none, might be due to the low heat, the fat crisped up nice, glad I hadn’t had a few pints or I might have eaten it lol

Very happy with it and will be doing another and let it cool before slicing for sancwhiches
    That packet stuff isn’t up to much lately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Soaked it in water for a while to remove some of the salt and they as you say dumped it in
    I was expecting smoke but there was none, might be due to the low heat, the fat crisped up nice, glad I hadn’t had a few pints or I might have eaten it lol

Very happy with it and will be doing another and let it cool before slicing for sancwhiches
    That packet stuff isn’t up to much lately

Did you glaze it?

rawn wrote: »
    Did you glaze it?

No it was just a test run

I did a test run of chips last night. One large rooster sliced into medium size chips, soaked for a half hour, well drained and then blanched for 10 minutes.

I dried them well and whilst still a little warm I covered them in a little dripping, veg oil and salt and let sit until cold. Popped them into frier for about 15 minutes on 160 and let them cool again (I was waiting for partner to get in). Back in for 8 minutes on full blast.

They were better than any chips I've made before (ready oven made/hand made fried) and better than most chipper chips.

Doing a larger batch this evening to have with home made lamb burger (Nigel Slater recipe).
    My teenage daughter will be acting as Jay Rayner for the evening:).

humberklog wrote: »
    I did a test run of chips last night. One large rooster sliced into medium size chips, soaked for a half hour, well drained and then blanched for 10 minutes.

I dried them well and whilst still a little warm I covered them in a little dripping, veg oil and salt and let sit until cold. Popped them into frier for about 15 minutes on 160 and let them cool again (I was waiting for partner to get in). Back in for 8 minutes on full blast.

They were better than any chips I've made before (ready oven made/hand made fried) and better than most chipper chips.

Doing a larger batch this evening to have with home made lamb burger (Nigel Slater recipe).
    My teenage daughter will be acting as Jay Rayner for the evening:).
    Making me hungry after reading that , they sound delicious a dose of vinegar and a batch loaf with real butter is all I would need with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I hear these air fryers make soggy chips ? Is this correct ?

I hear these air fryers make soggy chips ? Is this correct ?

Depends if the cook is a bit soggy
    They make perfect chips if you know what to do
    YouTube videos available

Just did my first batch of muffins in my new XL Airfryer (upgrade from smaller)

https://recipethis.com/airfryer-easy-chocolate-muffins/

I used half amount of ingredients made 6 decent sized muffins and I added some sea salt...they were yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Folks, I bought one of these airfryer things (big glass bowl, heavy lid/machine) in Lidl some months ago and used it about three times to make low-oil chips. My husband and I weren't thrilled with it and we put it away on a high shelf. I took it down to try it again, put the lid to one side, and promptly dropped the glass bowl, which cracked.

OK, I can see the handwriting on the wall. :) If someone has a use for the top lid unit (which was NOT dropped and it is in perfect shape), they can have it. I won't be replacing it. Any takers?

That sounds like a Halogen oven not an Airfryer.

HalogenOven-KenwoodmadeinEnglandAwoshie-831302_b_7f0199720790b486e796e11ab6582e60-1-e1496843939931.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

That sounds like a Halogen oven not an Airfryer.

HalogenOven-KenwoodmadeinEnglandAwoshie-831302_b_7f0199720790b486e796e11ab6582e60-1-e1496843939931.jpg

Yes, sorry if this is the wrong thread. They pop up when I do a Google Images search on "airfryer".

Would that be setting off smoke alarms during the hour?
    I sit mine on the hob under the extractor fan. Even ran it outside once as someone was using the hob, like people would run deep fat fryers outside.

rubadub wrote: »
    I sit mine on the hob under the extractor fan. Even ran it outside once as someone was using the hob, like people would run deep fat fryers outside.

never had to do that and ive cooked all sorts in mine, roast pork had very little smoke.

Just noticed how disgusting that chicken looks in the halogen oven pic I posted.

Hi
    Quick question I just purchased the XL last week after having the regular Airfryer the last few years, the XL seems to give off a lot more smoke while cooking.
    I know vents on both are in slightly different places on XL in from a top opening while on normal it was on back.
    Anyone else notice this?

Still loving the Airfrier, using it about 2-3 times a week.

It's brilliant for Parisienne potatoes.

Years ago my local chippy in Brighton sold Pea Fritters. They were made in house and varied from a traditional recipe. I forgot all about them until this week so I gave them a go, gorgeous simple lunch. The fish is Lidl's frozen haddock (which I like).

Dollop of brown sauce and bingo...
    25185489598_15883f169e_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How did you do them? Looks delicious

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    How did you do them? Looks delicious

I kept it simple. Tin of marrowfat peas into a pot with finely chopped raw onion and butter. Reduce them down stirring until it's a lumpy paste and leave to cool for an hour or two. The peas should be maliable enough to roll into croquette size portions and hold their shape. Give them a light dusting of flour, pop into some beaten egg then roll'm in panko breadcrumbs.

Into the Airfrier for 8 min on 160 and 6min on full beam.

You could add mint into the mix (I con't like mint with peas).
    I'm going to add lardons next time but they really don't need anything more than the above recipe.

Advertisement