Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

humberklog wrote: »
    I kept it simple. Tin of marrowfat peas into a pot with finely chopped raw onion and butter. Reduce them down stirring until it's a lumpy paste and leave to cool for an hour or two. The peas should be maliable enough to roll into croquette size portions and hold their shape. Give them a light dusting of flour, pop into some beaten egg then roll'm in panko breadcrumbs.

Into the Airfrier for 8 min on 160 and 6min on full beam.

You could add mint into the mix (I con't like mint with peas).
    I'm going to add lardons next time but they really don't need anything more than the above recipe.

F ya I’m starving now reading that lol
    I will try that over the weekend
    All I’ve been cooking is bacon joints lately it’s much nicer and cheaper than packer game for sambos for work

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The jane asher brand 20.5cm non stick sandwich tins in dealz fit in a phillips manual airfryer if you take the mesh basket out. Only €1.50

http://www.dealz.ie/home-and-pet/jane-asher-s-kitchen/cake-tins-and-bakeware/jane-asher-non-stick-sandwich-tin-20-5cm

I have other tins I use like this as I often do want to collect the fat & juices, or have meat sitting in fat and cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any tips on thougherly cleaning an airfryer. It has gone quite smoky lately and all the scrubbing in the world isn't clearing some of the cooked in bits of the basket.

Whispered wrote: »
    Any tips on thougherly cleaning an airfryer. It has gone quite smoky lately and all the scrubbing in the world isn't clearing some of the cooked in bits of the basket.

Best to clean the basket after every use I think and keep the bottom of the draw lined with foil
    If it’s that far gone that soaking and scrubbing won’t sort it then it might be easier to buy a new basket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

rubadub wrote: »
    The jane asher brand 20.5cm non stick sandwich tins in dealz fit in a phillips manual airfryer if you take the mesh basket out. Only €1.50

http://www.dealz.ie/home-and-pet/jane-asher-s-kitchen/cake-tins-and-bakeware/jane-asher-non-stick-sandwich-tin-20-5cm

I have other tins I use like this as I often do want to collect the fat & juices, or have meat sitting in fat and cooking.
    Thats a good idea, thanks for that.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats a good idea, thanks for that.

When the mesh basket is out you obviously have no handle to drag the main basket out. You can pull it out with a towel over your fingers or oven glove. I do it with nothing as my hands are like leather! and also I know where to touch it, take the basket out and you will see there is a good place to touch it, there is a pinch point rectangular area were it usually clicks in.

Do not preheat with the sandwich tin in place, it is light and will blow about like crazy. Non stick pans often do not last long, they easily get past the temp they are rated for on a hob, but as the max temp of the airfryer is 200C it should last a while longer.

I have done "stir fried" chicken in cake tins like these, putting chopped onions, chopped chicken breast & cashew nuts in them, it is sort of like a cross between frying in a pan, but getting blasted from above. You cannot really do chopped onions like that in the airfryer as it would fall through the mesh, as it sits in a layer of oil it does not really blow about either, maybe very finely chopped ones would blow around though. I have also cooked cakes in the tins which turned out well.

Tesco are doing much deeper non stick tins at the moment, not sure if they will fit though. I saw the dealz ones advertised before and saw the 20.5cm and checked and knew that should fit in the airfryer. I was not sure if that was the width of the cake or the width of the outer lip of the tin, they sell tape measures in dealz so I borrowed one and 20.5cm was the outer lip diameter!

I see the tesco one might be 23cm which I think is a fraction too big, you might be able to bend up the sides.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=295156329

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Whispered wrote: »

The mesh should pop out of the basket (it does on my manual, normal size one anyway). Turn the basket upside down and press firmly on the mesh to get it out.

Then try putting it in a saucepan with a bread soda solution and let it simmer for 30 mins or so. That should loosen the burnt on bits and allow you to scrub them off with a stiff bristled brush.

maudgonner wrote: »
    The mesh should pop out of the basket (it does on my manual, normal size one anyway). Turn the basket upside down and press firmly on the mesh to get it out..
    This does not work on older ones. I have considered pressing in the 4 metal clips on mine so it would be removable.

I have seen guides saying to spray it all with baking soda solution. You can pour boiling water in the basket and heat it so it all steams and can be more easily cleaned.

This does not work on older ones. I have considered pressing in the 4 metal clips on mine so it would be removable.

I have seen guides saying to spray it all with baking soda solution. You can pour boiling water in the basket and heat it so it all steams and can be more easily cleaned.
    So soap and hot water
    Who’d have thunk it

My basket is washed every time and the tray has been lined with foil

• Advertisement

I did "boiled" eggs in the philips, still in the shell, was doing rashers and sausages and put it in towards the end, think it was 6-7mins at 160C. I left it a while after it was timed out, maybe 3-5mins more, and it was hard boiled by then. No explosions :), some online bore a pin prick hole in the shell just in case. I would prefer it more soft but it was very handy for making a breakfast.

this woman also did 6-7min at 160C but chilled right after and are not totally hard

There are other videos with people doing them at lower temp for longer times, might be worried about explosions. To me the whole point is doing a "fry" all at once, as the airfryer is very consistent so you could easily find your own timings. Sausages can help weigh down rashers too, as they can blow about. I have make skewers to go through rashers to weigh them down and stop curling and blowing around. I got standard long BBQ skewers and bent then rapidly in half so they break, like breaking a coathanger. Others tie the rashers in knots but it can end up a bit unevenly cooked. I have also used teaspoons and dessert forks to weigh them down.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    So soap and hot water
    Who’d have thunk it

My basket is washed every time and the tray has been lined with foil
    This must be why yours is not smoking while mine does! Mine is filthy, I am lazy and not about to change. I read of some who pour in boiling water and a crushed/broken dishwasher tablet. You can put this back in and heat until boiling and then leave to steep.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Has anyone tried baked camembert in the box? Gonna try it tonight but wondering if the box will go up in flames.

I did falafel in it the other night. The falafel was a good shop bought brand. Best home cooked falafel I've had.

humberklog wrote: »
    Has anyone tried baked camembert in the box? Gonna try it tonight but wondering if the box will go up in flames.
    the philips only goes to 200C, which google says should not cause a fire, needs to get to 300C AND have an open flame. however the element will get much hotter than that. I had a silicone mat I left in by mistake preheating and it was scorced and ruined. Also I had chicken touch the top and burn, no different to a grill really. So if your box somehow touched the element it could go on fire, like a grill. This could happen if the lid was loose and blew off and was rattling around and jammed up against the element.

The fan is very powerful in them so do not underestimate it. I have used spoons and other cutlery to weigh stuff down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

^^ I'll have the lid off anyway. Just slicing a "lid" in the cheese itself and popping in lardons, little garlic and a drop of white wine. Served with spaghetti to dip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

That one showing as £149.95, slightly less for the white one. The 'newer version' is going for £79.99.
    Would that generally be a good deal? Was looking at same, or v similar in Harvey Norman today, reduced to €129.
    Presume it's not worth extra cost to get digital?

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    That one showing as £149.95, slightly less for the white one. The 'newer version' is going for £79.99.
    Would that generally be a good deal? Was looking at same, or v similar in Harvey Norman today, reduced to €129.
    Presume it's not worth extra cost to get digital?
    The digital thing does not interest me. I have not heard reports of them breaking but if it did I am confident I could fix a manual. I like the simplicity of it too.

The real decision/question is what size to go for. I would get a XL on if mine broke, maybe not a philips brand either unless it was a good price.

I see the newer one you mean is the new colour version the standard manual.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9216-41-Airfryer-Technology/dp/B0757ZBDGF/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1514648893&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+airfryer

it goes to £81.99 at checkout

the manual black one is 99.99 in argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5784709/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+AIRFRYER.htm

so the argos one is about 5euro more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The digital thing does not interest me. I have not heard reports of them breaking but if it did I am confident I could fix a manual. I like the simplicity of it too.

The real decision/question is what size to go for. I would get a XL on if mine broke, maybe not a philips brand either unless it was a good price.

I see the newer one you mean is the new colour version the standard manual.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9216-41-Airfryer-Technology/dp/B0757ZBDGF/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1514648893&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+airfryer

it goes to £81.99 at checkout

the manual black one is 99.99 in argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5784709/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+AIRFRYER.htm

so the argos one is about 5euro more

Cheers.
    Not sure we need the bigger one, but could easily be proven wrong.
    At the moment the fact is fairly slim is a big selling point. It can replace the deep fat fryer without being much bigger and will hopefully be healthier and less messy.
    Thanks for the response.
    Think I'll go with the newer one on case there's any improvements at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Can anyone recommend a good airfryer to buy? Will be used 2-4 days per week, would ideally like a large capacity (cooking for 3 in one go)

Are there any particular brands or models you guys could recommend from experience?

My other half is looking at this one it's a multi fryer rather than airfryer

https://euronics.ie/product/delonghi-classic-multifry-health-fryer-fh1163/

It seems to be pretty much >90% Philips Airfryer on here with most people happy with them, its the highest rated of any kind of electric cooker on Amazon aswell., They seem bulletproof aswell, zero mechanical issues. Id just buy another Philips if anything happened to mine anyway, its replaced the oven in my house.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good airfryer to buy? Will be used 2-4 days per week, would ideally like a large capacity (cooking for 3 in one go)
    The large philips is on offer on amazon.de and amazon.co.uk

I would recommend putting a new plug on the german one, which is cheaper.

There might be some other large brand out there. I look at a US recipe site and lots of people have large one which are not philips.

https://www.amazon.de/Philips-HD9240-90-Airfryer-Hei%C3%9Fluftfritteuse/dp/B00BS97UUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515259474&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+xl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9240-90-Collection-Airfryer/dp/B00BS97UUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515259508&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+xl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Just FYI it seems Philips have launched new AirFryer models in the US which I'm sure will be launched over here in a few months. Might be worth watching out for discounts on the current model for anyone thinking of taking the plunge.

The new digital controls look more intuitive than the current one which I find a bit clumsy and there's supposed to be a better/more efficient fan design.

New-Philips-Airfryer1515418269.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hi all,

Just FYI it seems Philips have launched new AirFryer models in the US which I'm sure will be launched over here in a few months. Might be worth watching out for discounts on the current model for anyone thinking of taking the plunge.

The new digital controls look more intuitive than the current one which I find a bit clumsy and there's supposed to be a better/more efficient fan design.

Physically smaller but same capacity as the old one. Pity they didn't leave it physically same as the old one and increase the capacity instead. :o

Also their claim it provides 'up to' 4 (American) servings :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Has this been asked before? Apologies if it has.....

Aldi have Airfriers on special this week for €39.99. Are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Has this been asked before? Apologies if it has.....

Aldi have Airfriers on special this week for €39.99. Are they any good?

I bought that exact model for about €80 about 2 years ago, it's still going strong! Fool-proof as well, just a temp dial and a timer dial. We use it every day at least once

Edit: Actually sorry it's the one they have in Dealz at the moment that i have, not sure what one Aldi have!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

My Airfryer has made my oven redundant.. almost, I never tried bread or baked in it until today, so today, as it was a day of rain here in Donegal I got bored and decided to experiment.

Made brown bread, sourdough bread and brownies, all in the Air-fryer, so far have tried the brown bread and the brownies and both lovely, just waiting for the sourdough to cool before I try it.

Timing is basically keeping an eye on the fryer and seeing how the process is going, as it was my first time baking in it, but so far so good.

How did you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

nihicib2 wrote: »
    My Airfryer has made my oven redundant.. almost, I never tried bread or baked in it until today, so today, as it was a day of rain here in Donegal I got bored and decided to experiment.

Made brown bread, sourdough bread and brownies, all in the Air-fryer, so far have tried the brown bread and the brownies and both lovely, just waiting for the sourdough to cool before I try it.

Timing is basically keeping an eye on the fryer and seeing how the process is going, as it was my first time baking in it, but so far so good.
    Could I possibly have the sourdough recipe please or a link?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

When I'm cooking chips or wedges in one of these, the food at the top cooks properly but the ones at the bottom don't cook at all. I'm stopping half way through to stir it up but even then it's not really cooking effectively. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    When I'm cooking chips or wedges in one of these, the food at the top cooks properly but the ones at the bottom don't cook at all. I'm stopping half way through to stir it up but even then it's not really cooking effectively. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
    Possibly over filling it , when I had the smaller version I would rarely fill the basket.
    Make sure you leave enough room so you can give it a shake half during cooking.

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'm stopping half way through to stir it up but even then it's not really cooking effectively.
    likely overfilled as said, but also maybe too high a temp. I am very surprised at the browning I can get at lower temps. If you have it at 200C then the element will be turned on for longer periods and it is basically like a grill in there, so if stuff is at the top it is properly toasted.

Advertisement