Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Do you mean buying chipper chips and and then re-frying them in the airfryer?

We sometimes get chipper chips to compliment steaks etc or just when we have a graw for some "proper" chips with our dinner but they often end up hanging around in the bag getting cold and limp whilst we wait for the rest of the dinner to be cooked.

Never thought of giving them a blast in the air fryer so interested to know if this is what you're doing and if so is it best to order them with or without salt and vinegar from the chipper?

Starving now and it's only 10:17am :(

It’s what I do anyway and will get salt and vinegar on them before I reheat them In air fryer, the fresh made chips most Italian chippers turn out perfect reheated in it.
    I would pick a couple of bags of chips on way home and then cook my steak and mushrooms and reheat chips and it always turns out fantastic.
    The chips are always done as steaks are resting.
    Starving now...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah chipper chips reheated. I really think they're even nicer after a blast in the Airfrier.

Don't know about vinegar as I don't use but deffo salt put on in the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

without salt and vinegar from the chipper?
    Might be better without vinegar, as if they put loads on and the bag is left closed and all the chips bunched up they can sort of fuse together. I might be wrong in blaming that on the vinegar but I reckon it could make it worse. If loads are still fused together you can still put them in and after heated up a while they come apart far more easily.

I like "sweated chips", so often leave them in bags for ages to stew away. I think the heat continues cooking the potato and makes it softer.

When reheated in the airfryer it will sort of burn off the vinegar so you would have to add more anyway if you like it.

I also get onion rings in my local chinese which are very nice when redone, it drives some of the excess fat off. I used to be put off buying them as they give you a ludicrous amount of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you are bringing chips home to eat, why would you get salt and vinegar on them?

Good sea salt and nice malt vinegar at home ftw.
    (and sacrilegious black pepper!!!)
    No soggy chips

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

If you are bringing chips home to eat, why would you get salt and vinegar on them?

Good sea salt and nice malt vinegar at home ftw.
    (and sacrilegious black pepper!!!)
    No soggy chips
    Salt and vinegar needs to be Applied to said chips as soon as possible after they come out of the hot oil.
    I don’t think it’s the same putting them on at home

• Advertisement

So the ones you inevitably nick out of the bag will taste nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

rubadub wrote: »
    So the ones you inevitably nick out of the bag will taste nice!

There is nothing on this earth as tasty as a stolen chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Philips XXL is down to €180 on German Amazon, €80 cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Keeping my eye out now for Prime Day deals. The XL is currently at £155.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

SachaJ wrote: »
    Keeping my eye out now for Prime Day deals. The XL is currently at £155.

£129 for prime day (be quick!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Finally it is mine LOL
    Prime day 129 pound

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭mel123

Can anyone recommend an accessories kit to go with the airfryer? ive the small one. Preferably amazon as im so lazy and its handy :-)

Hasn’t arrived yet but just reading over a few recipes
    I’ve seen Canila oil mentioned for making chips ?
    Is that just vegetable oil?
    What do most people use

• Registered Users Posts: 68,801 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cheap rapeseed oil, Lidl own brand vegetable oil is that.

L1011 wrote: »
    Cheap rapeseed oil, Lidl own brand vegetable oil is that.

Yeah I’ve been using the aldi one in actifry thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

km79 wrote: »
    Yeah I’ve been using the aldi one in actifry thanks

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,345 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Ham fillets smoked or unsmoked 800g - 1kg soaked in water to reduce salt then roasted for 50 to 60 minutes on 180, works out much cheaper and nicer than buying packet ham for rolls and sandwhiches

The internet isn’t for everyone

Any recipe book worth buying either hard copy or kindle?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bumping this cos I (finally) will buy the Philips Airfryer on Black Friday with Amazon. Can anyone remember around how low did the price for the regular sized version go during last years sales?

Also is the regular sized version big enough to roast a small (1.2kg) chicken in or should I go up to the XL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bumping this cos I (finally) will buy the Philips Airfryer on Black Friday with Amazon. Can anyone remember around how low did the price for the regular sized version go during last years sales?

Install the Keepa price tracker so you can see the historical price (and discounts) for any product you look up on amazon which also allows you to set alarms for when a new discount of flash sale is started. Works a treat for high value items you want to get at discount and are prepared to wait for to get at the right price.

Can't remember what the Black Friday price was last year but if you whizz back the thread to November last year I'm sure you'll quickly find out.
    Also is the regular sized version big enough to roast a small (1.2kg) chicken in or should I go up to the XL?

I have the XL and it's not that XL at all. It may be possible at a squeeze to get a 1.2kg chicken in there but I wouldn't do it.

It's great for chicken wings, breaded fillets of fish, oven chips, lamb chops etc and gets a lot of use all year round in my house. Sweet potato fries/wedges are really good out of it.

If you can afford it at all I'd strongly recommend the XL as you will likely be frustrated by the constraints of the smaller version quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

£61.49 on Amazon UK for the regular size one last year on Black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

^ wow I didnt realise it got as low as £62 :eek: It would be some bargain if I can snag it at that price

^ wow I didnt realise it got as low as £62 :eek: It would be some bargain if I can snag it at that price

Smaller one is a waste of time
    Buy the xl
    Best money we have spent in the kitchen
    Bought the tefal actifry a few years back and its a heap of junk compared to the Philips

Only if you live by yourself in my opinion. The basket is just too small to be useful. Even the XL feels small of cooking for 3 or more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Only if you live by yourself in my opinion. The basket is just too small to be useful. Even the XL feels small of cooking for 3 or more people.

This. When they bring out an XXXXL let me know!

It isn't a Philps for for someone who wants to dip their toe into AirFrying this Black Friday/Flash Sale deal seems like super value. The offer ends at midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Finally going to bite the bullet and get one of these on Black Friday.

3 kids and 2 adults so I would probably need something quite large. Any recommendations?

Loving the Brown Bread recipe idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

rawn wrote: »

This. When they bring out an XXXXL let me know!
    Amazon Germany have an XXL one!

branners69 wrote: »
    Amazon Germany have an XXL one!

there are bigger non philips ones than that too, the XXL is not much bigger than the XL. I was linking them before as they got good reviews on US forums, but are cheap enough on amazon UK. They even have ones with rotisseries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Two year anniversary...still going strong...

Advertisement