Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rubadub wrote: »
    there are bigger non philips ones than that too, the XXL is not much bigger than the XL. I was linking them before as they got good reviews on US forums, but are cheap enough on amazon UK. They even have ones with rotisseries.

Im wondering does anyone know what the non-Philips ones are like, saw the Tower airfryer down to £40 on Amazon a few days ago and was tempted but unsure if they do as good a job

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Anyone find any good Black Friday deals yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

OnLooker wrote: »

Good deal on the Instant Pot Duo - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Electric-Pressure-Stainless/dp/B00OP26T4K?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_550132f0_NA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

OnLooker wrote: »

Assuming the £69.99 deal on the small model posted above your question doesn't suit..

The XXL model is deal of the day on Amazon.de for €199 (comes to €226.40 posted to Ireland)

Same model (before postage) is €286 on .fr, €304 on .es and €320 on .it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone done a while roast chicken in airfryer ?
    Smallest I’ve i could get was 1400g ?
    Hoping to do it in the airfryer rather than oven
    So any suggestions on timing , temp and basting much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

km79 wrote: »
    Would be interested in this myself, although how would it handle that much juice without filling the house with smoke? Mine was like a coal fired chimney when the grease started dripping off 2 cheeseburgers in it the other night...

Thargor wrote: »
    Would be interested in this myself, although how would it handle that much juice without filling the house with smoke? Mine was like a coal fired chimney when the grease started dripping off 2 cheeseburgers in it the other night...

Tinfoil underneath ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have done plenty of them and highly recommend it. 1.4kg is pushing it to fit in the mesh basket. At that size I remove the mesh basket and put it in breast side down directly on the bottom of the main basket. I make sure the basket is clean as I will be basting with the fat falling into it. I think I have got a 1.3kg in the basket before, 1.2kg definitely fits. You have to make sure it is pressed down or it can touch the heating element.

I do 30mins breast side down, after 25mins you can take it out to baste. I hold the chicken with a spatula and tilt it all to pour the fat into a cup or jug. I then pour it back over. At this stage you may as well pour it all back on.

I usually then leave it 10mins to cool let inside the airfryer simply as it is too hot to handle. You can pour off the fat again and flip it onto a plate and carefully place it back in, the skin can easily rip away so be careful.

Then do 30mins again breast side up. This time there will be a lot more fat for basting. So I pour it off but only pour on what I need to wet it all, then pop it back in and every 10mins or so pull it back out and pour a bit more on.

I have fit a 1.9kg in with no basket in place but that is pushing it. I think I did it for 75mins but 60 might have been enough.

In another thread I was saying I got a 2kg chicken and cut the 2 breasts off and then airfried the rest, can't remember if this fit in the basket, I think it did, but at a push. So I keep the breasts for another day to cook, as I dislike dry roasted breast meat anyway, though it is far nicer off the airfried chicken. This is very economical, I weighed the breasts and it would have cost more to buy them on their own than the price of the entire chicken. I do not like butchering but this is easy and quick, I was not too careful and just picked off remaining cooked breast meat. I am going to try it again with a larger chicken, I think dunnes do the biggest.

If doing a 1.2kg it fits in the mesh basket and makes things a lot easier, as you can take out the chicken and very easily pour the fat into a cup and then stick the chicken back in the main basket and baste.

It cooks really well, renders off the fat really well and the chicken just falls off the bone, it is difficult to take them out when cooked as it is falling apart, If it has to be in 1 piece I would put a plate on and flip it, wearing gloves of course.
    filling the house with smoke?.
    I sit it on the hob with the extractor fan going above.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Large Philips Airfryer down to £114.99. Lowest price ever according to CCC

I've been watching out for it and got an email just now with deals of the day. Couldn't believe it - I've ordered one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wow, that is a brilliant price - just ordered one for when the old one finally conks out! (which is probably not too far off now that the fan has started to getting pretty loud:) )

B0jangles wrote: »
    Wow, that is a brilliant price - just ordered one for when the old one finally conks out! (which is probably not too far off now that the fan has started to getting pretty loud:) )

Only got ours 6 months ago but genuinely tempted to get a second one now at that price

Only got ours 6 months ago but genuinely tempted to get a second one now at that price

I really would - I got mine originally for (I think) 130 euro and that was about 4 years ago and it was the standard-sized digital model, and I've been looking for a similarly-priced one for the last couple of years, just as a back-up - this is the best price by a long shot imo.

We 100% would not be without it -it gets used by someone pretty much every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just bought it. Now that’s 3😲

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Best chip results to date after using a method mention on this thread somewhere. Cooked chips at 140, then finished off at full blast till fully cooked. Were delicious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My Airfryer XL arrived yesterday, it's like an early Christmas present to myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Best chip results to date after using a method mention on this thread somewhere. Cooked chips at 140, then finished off at full blast till fully cooked. Were delicious.

Just sliced the potatoes and cooked them or was there more to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

The second best bit of advice I got with air frying chips is to dry the raw chipped potatoes with kitchen roll or some other absorbing cloth, they come out a lot crispier and fluffy in the middle. The best bit of advice was to put the air fryer back into the cupboard and head to the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Just sliced the potatoes and cooked them or was there more to it?

Yes.....Well they soaked in some cold water for a while 1st. Tossed in a bowl with a drizzle of oil and the into air fryer

• Advertisement

The new XL arrived a few days ago, so we set it up to make sure it was working properly before putting it away until the old one breaks.

Except the old one just refused to turn on at all that same evening. The lights would come on for a moment just after it was plugged in, but no more than that - it was like it was sulking about being replaced. Even weirder, we left it there for a couple of days to see if it'd sort itself out and it did, it's back working perfectly again!

Be kind to your airfryers - apparently they are very sensitive.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Except the old one just refused to turn on at all that same evening.
    I preferred to get the manual one over the digital, as I thought it might last longer and if it did pack in I would definitely have been able to have a stab at fixing it.

Even the electronic ones might be fixable, there is often going to be a common fault with stuff like this, and they are so widely used there are likely youtube videos on how to fix them. They are cheap enough to replace though, but you can often get a few euro for popular broken appliances if you are not going to have a go fixing yourself.

Some electronics may not turn on if they are too cold, but once warmed again should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Great price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Are there different capacity ones with size of basket been smaller?not sure how old my one is.

So I fnally plunged for the Philips Arfryer from barrs Argos link above for €82. I didnt go for the Amazon Black Friday offer of £70 a few weeks back as i wasnt keen on the light grey colour. After not purchasing that offer I had thought I wouldnt see another priice drop till January so was holdiing off tlll then. When barr posted the Argos link for €82 I reserved it online and picked it up the next day, thanks again barr, great shout :D

Id been usnig a halogen oven for the last 4 or so years and while they are great pieces of kit the Airfryer is on another level. The halogen served me very well, the volume in them is huge and you can easily roast a 2kg bird in them with all the spuds and vegges thrown in too. But over the last year the handle on top of the halogen to start the fan oven came a bit loose and I had to weigh it down first with a coffee cup and after a while that didnt work so then later a heavier pint glass and then later again a 2kg stone mortar bowl! After 4 years it is definitely ready for the bin and it owes me nothing. I certainly got my moneys worth out of it, iirc it was a Lidl special for a bargain €45 :D

With the airfryer I am really impressed with how the food just comes out very evenly cooked and crispy all around. Im not one for swallowing marketing spiel but the "Rapd Air Technology" really is what makes the food taste so good as the heat hits it from all angles, even underneath which makes a big difference IMO.

So far Ive done chips, goujons, sweet potatoes, scampi and sausages in it. All of them turned out really well, much better than a conventional oven and better than the halogen as the hot air can get underneath the food to cook it evenly. Im looking forward to trying burgers and steaks and also roasting some 1kg cuts of pork & beef in it. Great piece of equipment, I'm really happy with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Anyone using their Airfryer on Christmas Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

rawn wrote: »

Yes I'm making the Aldi Specially Selected Goose Fat Roast Potatoes in it. Only have a single oven and they come out lovely and crisp

rawn wrote: »

I did stuffing balls in mine recently and they were very good. Airfryers are great for reheating stuff, as I know many might cook the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Yes I'm making the Aldi Specially Selected Goose Fat Roast Potatoes in it. Only have a single oven and they come out lovely and crisp

Do you cook on low and then on high? I'm hoping to use my fryer to save time, I was thinking roasties in there would help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'll have to find the notebook, but I think I cooked them at 160 and whacked it up to 180 for the last few minutes.

Advertisement