Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I bought that airfryer for my father, grand and does the job. I'd notice my philips cooking things better (seemed like I could burn things or unevenly cook them easier with the power fryer) but I may just need to get used to the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

rubadub wrote: »
    I would want it large as possible for whole chickens and pizza

That's called an oven :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Got a Philips xxl recently after owning the xl and the regular one
    Loving it and the best one so far, cooked a 1.6kg chicken covered in a yoghurt and tikka mix and it was divine and the jusiest chicken I’ve had in a while and cooked in 50 minutes at 180*.
    The xxl version comes with an extra plate at the bottom for faster cooking and the bottom part of the basket is also removable which makes for easier cleaning.
    My xl version had an injury after six months, I moved it while cleaning and left it on the hobb and hit one of the knobs and cooked the base of it a little, I was gutted to say the least.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kat1170 wrote: »
    That's called an oven :D:D

If I found an oven with all the advantages of an aifryer I would be delighted. I think some do have faster fans now.

I can already fit full chickens in the regular philips, and small pizzas, or I get larger pizzas and cut them up to fit. Both come out far better than any I have cooked in a traditional oven. With pizza you just have to be careful about blowing off the toppings.

I read a couple of pages back and there’s lots of talk of frozen chips, does anyone do the chips recommended in the cook book ? I think they are fantastic, peel and chip the potatoes and soak for half an hour then steam for 5-10 minutes depending on thickness then pat dry and add oil and bingo ready for the fryer.
    I have frozen ones for emergency when time is against me but they aren’t the same and they are pre fried already so I try and avoid them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

The Philips XL (HD9240/90) is £164 today and I'm thinking again. I know this is way off the best price it's been. I think it would be handy for the kitchen but also for holidays in the campervan this summer.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BS97UUA/

Realistically what size chicken could you do in the XL?

Is the Power Airfryer better value @ £130 even though can't go as hot as the Philips?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Air-Fryer-5-0-Litre/dp/B073QVBHSZ/

Get the Phillips I was cooking 1.4 kg chickens in my xl no problem and they come out divine and juicy, much better than a conventional oven

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Get the Phillips I was cooking 1.4 kg chickens in my xl no problem and they come out divine and juicy, much better than a conventional oven

Is that the largest that will fit? I usually buy a 1.8kg when I'm out.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Is that the largest that will fit? I usually buy a 1.8kg when I'm out.

If your cooking a full chicken whole then yes that’s about the biggest, I have the xxl and I’ve cut the strings to fit a 1.8kg in
    Check out some cooking videos on YouTube, while the units themselves look big the cooking capacity isn’t that big

I’ve had all 3 Philips sizes btw

Airfryer arrived this week and still finding our feet. Did some nice chips last night - 6 Maris Piper spuds scrubbed and then chipped (left the skins on). Soaked for 20-30 minutes followed by drying with a tea towel. 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix in with the chips in a bowl. Preheat to 160 then 16 minutes when hot. Give a good shake and 14 minutes @ 180 (shook every 4/5 minutes during this 180 run).

Has anyone ever cooked the part cooked bread/rolls you get in Tesco etc? Package says 210 for 7/8 minutes in a fan oven so figure would be less in the airfryer

• Advertisement

That’s the right job for chips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Has anyone ever cooked the part cooked bread/rolls you get in Tesco etc? Package says 210 for 7/8 minutes in a fan oven so figure would be less in the airfryer
    I have, but in my case the pack stipulated lower temperatures and a longer cooking time.
    Try yours at 180 for 5 minutes and give it a bit longer, if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Is the Power Airfryer better value @ £130 even though can't go as hot as the Philips?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Air-Fryer-5-0-Litre/dp/B073QVBHSZ/
    They both get to the same temp, 200C. Maybe you mean the philips is more powerful, all things being the same this would mean it just gets up to temp faster but then it turns on/off maintaining the temperature. I rarely bother preheating my regular size philips as it is so fast.

The higher power could mean an issue in the likes of your campervan, or if using in a kitchen or place with limited power or shared sockets. I can use a toaster and my philips and be below 13A. I have seen several US users complain that their kitchen power kept tripping out.

I have squeezed a 1.9kg chicken in my regular one, but would advise on less. This was taking the basket out which gives loads more room.
    I go right down to 130-140C, otherwise the outside is brown way too fast and the middle is doughy.

I suppose it depends on how you like the baguettes, I prefer more pale ones than hard crispy outsides. If I want it toasted I just cut it in half or in slices and blast at 200C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

New airfryer finally opened and experimenting today.

I did some frozen fryer chips today. A cheap Iceland brand. Pre heat for 3 mins at 200 and then 6 mins, shake and 5 mins. I have to say they were more like fried chips than oven chips. Golden brown crispy and soft inside. Delighted.:D

I also tried a fresh chicken fillet and this really surprised me. 8 mins on 180. Turn and another 8 mins on 180. It was exactly like a pan fried fillet and so juicy inside.

I'm sold. The deep fat fryer went straight in the bin.:D

I’m cookie brownies in mine now for the first time fingers crossed they don’t end up feeding the crowd

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I did some frozen fryer chips today. A cheap Iceland brand. Pre heat for 3 mins at 200 and then 6 mins, shake and 5 mins. I have to say they were more like fried chips than oven chips. Golden brown crispy and soft inside. Delighted.:D

I also tried a fresh chicken fillet and this really surprised me. 8 mins on 180. Turn and another 8 mins on 180. It was exactly like a pan fried fillet and so juicy inside.

I'm sold. The deep fat fryer went straight in the bin.:D

Oven chips are rubbish really they are pre fried in oil and taste like muck
    The air fryer is much better, we normally have a bag of aldi chips as a back up but I prefer using chipped potatoes

Oven chips are rubbish really they are pre fried in oil and taste like muck
    The air fryer is much better, we normally have a bag of aldi chips as a back up but I prefer using chipped potatoes

I have plans to try home cut chips and even par boiled roasties.

• Advertisement

I have plans to try home cut chips and even par boiled roasties.

Steamer for 8-10 minutes let them cool drizzle with oil and bang then in the fryer sorted

Steamer for 8-10 minutes let them cool drizzle with oil and bang then in the fryer sorted

Cheers. And surely give them a fluff up before hand.:D

Just cooked a sirloin steak in my Air Fryer. First time. I am continually amazed by this machine.:D

Just cooked a sirloin steak in my Air Fryer. First time. I am continually amazed by this machine.:D

just cooked a ham joint in mine for sliced meat for the week and there is a chicken going in next

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Beyond chips, is the Airfryer much use for vegetarian stuff? (Our Actifry will no doubt die at some point, but it's handy for chips as you don't need another bowl to distribute oil...)

Tree wrote: »
    Beyond chips, is the Airfryer much use for vegetarian stuff? (Our Actifry will no doubt die at some point, but it's handy for chips as you don't need another bowl to distribute oil...)

You can cool anything in the air fryer ranging from cakes to omelettes, just rustled up some red peppers shallots and onions as a side for dinner earlier, people are under the impression an air fryer is only for chips but it’s far from that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

You can cool anything in the air fryer ranging from cakes to omelettes, just rustled up some red peppers shallots and onions as a side for dinner earlier, people are under the impression an air fryer is only for chips but it’s far from that

Onion rings. chips and onion rings. :P

But joking aside for me Steak gets cooked on the griddle pan, roasts in the oven, Sausages and rashers in the grill, eggs and pudding in the pan, most often even hand cut chips in the deep fat fryer, but the airfryer is great for a small batch just for myself of stuff I might fry in a pan.

Or for chips from a plastic bag in a hurry or especially for onion rings or things that would contaminate the oil in a deep fat fryer. It's not that i don't think i could cook a steak in it, its that there is really no need to when a griddle pan on the hob is just as easy.

Southern fried chicken, onion rings, anything in breadcrumbs or batter and chips when I don't feel like going to the effort of taking out the deep fat fryer are all great from it though. Actually now i think on it it is mostly processed stuff that I put into it. But this is all stuff i just wouldn't cook without it, I like onion rings but not enough to add them to the deep fat fryer and have to change the oil.

You’re really missing out then, sausages and rashers are great in the fryer, also roast chicken and beef and joints of bacon can’t be beaten by any conventional cooker, 1.6 kg chicken in my xxl done in 50 minutes and full of juices
    My cooker is permanently switched off now and I can see the savings on the electric bills too

Fian wrote: »
    But joking aside for me Steak gets cooked on the griddle pan, roasts in the oven, Sausages and rashers in the grill.

steak and rashers cook very evenly in the airfryer, on a grill or pan rashers tend to curl up and I like the fat evenly done.

I do steaks at 80C for 30mins or even up to 90mins. Then I let cool and sear in a roaring hot pan. They are still red in the middle. It dries off the surface so it sears really well, and the fat is rendered down very nicely.

If anybody likes, or has to cook well done steaks for other people I would highly recommend it, up the temp to 90C and it comes out with no pink. Again let cool and sear. The cooling prevents it being overcooked during the sear.

• Advertisement

10oz sirloins For 8 minutes here on 180 then 2 on 200 and it’s divine, have the onions peppers and shrooms cooking in the air fryer too can’t beat it

Advertisement