Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Has anyone got the problem of the fire alarm going off every time they use the airfryer?! Happens every time. I've tried scrub the inside to clean it but hasn't helped. It's not like the kitchen is filled with smoke or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Has anyone got the problem of the fire alarm going off every time they use the airfryer?! Happens every time. I've tried scrub the inside to clean it but hasn't helped. It's not like the kitchen is filled with smoke or anything.

Use the cooker extractor or open a window

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭greasepalm

That may depend if you only clean basket and basin in the dishwasher as on mine its above the ring that needs cleaning built up over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Get a more modern fire alarm. My oven would set off the antiquated one I had that was probably over the 10 year suggested life anyway (was in the house when I bought it) but doesn't set off the new smoke+CO one.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Thanks for replies. Windows n extractor fan are open/on. Will try getting baking soda to clean the interior n see if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://www.consumerreports.org/air-fryers/best-air-fryers-of-the-year/

Consumereports reckon the difference in food quality between individual Airfryers regardless of brand or price is so negligible that they discarded it as a testing criteria and focused on size/ease of cleaning/various other things instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Makes sense really, its just an element and a fan blowing hot air around the place at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Never had an air-fryer but reckon we'd use one a lot as the oven is always on for roast potatoes / chips and I see you can even do whole chickens in the big ones.

There's 6 of us (4 kids) so I presume I need the XXL one and from what I've read Phillips appear to be the best (open to correction here!)

Would people recommend I go with this one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9650-99-Collection-Technology/dp/B077ZFCZT3/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Philips+Airfryer+XXL&qid=1573819191&sr=8-3

Currently €229 but camelcamel says it dropped to €79 around Black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

frash wrote: »
    Never had an air-fryer but reckon we'd use one a lot as the oven is always on for roast potatoes / chips and I see you can even do whole chickens in the big ones.

There's 6 of us (4 kids) so I presume I need the XXL one and from what I've read Phillips appear to be the best (open to correction here!)

Would people recommend I go with this one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9650-99-Collection-Technology/dp/B077ZFCZT3/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Philips+Airfryer+XXL&qid=1573819191&sr=8-3

Currently €229 but camelcamel says it dropped to €79 around Black Friday

I'd say that was a mistake doubt it will drop that low again. It was some deal it's one of the best bargains I've ever got. Should be still a good discount on it hopefully under €150. Get the Keepa browser extension it's much handier and picks up lightning deals in advance Camelcamel doesn't alway pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Just spotted this 4.2l Tower one on Argos at it's lowest price

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&productId=1262060

Anyone got one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Do it DB! I often used the deep fat fryer as part of a recipe. Not anymore. Little G developed a minor, but embarrassing medical complaint a few years back. We discovered that its rampant among young kids and traced it back to deep fried foods. Since I switched to the air fryer, her complaint has disappeared.

I have an air fryer :eek: colour me excite! :D
    (it's a little starter one, but perfect for my bumbling culinary skillset)
    Will be delayed gratification, as I am not able for solid foods presently.

I have a teensy beginners slow cooker as well - dunno why appliances intimidate me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

A couple of questions before I buy. Can you do baked potatoes, skin on, in the air fryer and re they as good as out of the oven? Can you put oven paper or tin foil In Them to prevent them getting dirty? Might pick up the tower one mentioned above as it’s a great price, are they good enough? Thanks.

A couple of questions before I buy. Can you do baked potatoes, skin on, in the air fryer and re they as good as out of the oven? Can you put oven paper or tin foil In Them to prevent them getting dirty? Might pick up the tower one mentioned above as it’s a great price, are they good enough? Thanks.

Backed potatoes yes, I steam mine first and finish in the air fryer
    Line the bottom in foil yes, In my small Philips I lined the bottom in foil to male cleaning a little easier, just make sure to pack it down well and have the edges turned up so it’s like a tray to collect the oil.
    I have the xxl with turbo base tray no so I don’t bother lining it anymore, I clean it after cooking certain foods.
    As for the tower one check the poor reviews before buying, it’s cheap enough to start you off as a tester to see how get in and if you will use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Backed potatoes yes, I steam mine first and finish in the air fryer
    Line the bottom in foil yes, In my small Philips I lined the bottom in foil to male cleaning a little easier, just make sure to pack it down well and have the edges turned up so it’s like a tray to collect the oil.
    I have the xxl with turbo base tray no so I don’t bother lining it anymore, I clean it after cooking certain foods.
    As for the tower one check the poor reviews before buying, it’s cheap enough to start you off as a tester to see how get in and if you will use it

Thanks for the reply. If the reviews are poorOr I’ll give it a miss. Is there a good quality one for under €100, does anyone know?

Thanks for the reply. If the reviews are poorOr I’ll give it a miss. Is there a good quality one for under €100, does anyone know?

The reviews on the tower aren’t all bad but it’s best to be aware of the good and bad before buying
    The non digital Philips can be picked up cheaply on amazon, with Black Friday coming there are sure to be bargains to be found

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Bought the 5L Power Air Fryer from Argos last week for €119.

It's been absolutely brilliant so far.

Chips have come out very good - not as good as deep fried by any means, but tasty, crispy and healthier, so we're very happy.

Peel and Cut, rinse and dry. Pre-heat Air fryer for 4 mins. Put on for 15 minutes at 160 and then 5 minutes at 200.

Have also done Falafels, burgers, sausages, white pudding and bacon. All have been very good.

Very easy to clean - tin foil at the bottoms of the drawer to collect grease and then wash the cooking tray in the sink after each use.

Not sure what the oven is going to be used for anymore, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bought the 5L Power Air Fryer from Argos last week for €119.
    Thats the one I want if mine breaks. I saw it first on US forums, very popular there. Seems a decent size.

On offer on amazon but not much saving over argos.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Air-Fryer-5-0-Litre/dp/B073QVBHSZ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Power+Air+Fryer+5+Litre&qid=1575888414&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rubadub wrote: »
    Thats the one I want if mine breaks. I saw it first on US forums, very popular there. Seems a decent size.

On offer on amazon but not much saving over argos.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Air-Fryer-5-0-Litre/dp/B073QVBHSZ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Power+Air+Fryer+5+Litre&qid=1575888414&sr=8-3

It seems to be a good size as far as Air Fryers go, but it's still not huge. We are only 2 adults, 2 toddlers, so it's fine for us. But if it were 2 adults and 2 hungry teenagers it might struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure what the oven is going to be used for anymore, to be honest.

Pizzas and large roasting joints is about all the oven gets used here for these days.

What recipe do you use for falafels, have been meaning to make a good batch of them for wraps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Same here. Pizzas and big joints is all the oven is used for. Roasties the odd time as I haven't got them as good yet in the Air Fryer.

• Advertisement

I much prefer pizza from the airfryer. Just cut it into slices/shapes that fit, cooks in as little as 4mins, browns the cheese beautifully and the base is not overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Anyone use a daewoo healthy living air fryer? It’s a pretty good price in super value tomorrow was thinking bout getting it if it’s any good?

RubyGlee wrote: »
    Anyone use a daewoo healthy living air fryer? It’s a pretty good price in super value tomorrow was thinking bout getting it if it’s any good?

Got mine there in March this year for 40 quid. A decent machine.

You have to be a member of the super valu to reap these savings it says.
    I spent more and bought a Ninja Foodi Omg,better look at those you tube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

greasepalm wrote: »

You can pick up a card in store. Don't even think you would have to register afterwards as they swipe the card when you purchase the special offer.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Got mine there in March this year for 40 quid. A decent machine.

The current one in supervalu is daewoo but a larger 4L size, the one previously sold was 3.5L.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Anyone else's Philips Airfryer starting to cut out if cooking something that produces a lot of steam. Eg Tesco thin cut fries.
    Is there a thermostat cutout that might need cleaning.
    Airfryer is about three years old. It lives out in the shed so I won't know it cut out until I go to get the food out and it's only half cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

greasepalm wrote: »

Did the same and the Ninja Foodi Max arrived New Year's Eve, ordered it from Amazon. I have pressure cooked chicken thighs then used the air crisp/fry to finish -amazing! Baked scones, brownies and did a whole chicken in it for dinner today. Wow. I am very impressed.

Yes its very expensive but looking at those salt and pepper videos and others on you tube has awakened a new style of super cook and has exceeded in quality of what it produces will leave others way behind.This Airfryer does so much more but you need a bigger worktop area for use as its a bigger heavier in quality and worth the expense of an all in one unit.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    The current one in supervalu is daewoo but a larger 4L size, the one previously sold was 3.5L.

Even better if the reports today that its reduced to 40 quid for 48 hours are real. Get in there folks!

Advertisement