Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Tried @ 180 first but was getting too much of a crust after a few minutes so reduced it to 160. (maybe too low)

I will take a look at that recipe thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i went ahead and bought this Tefal 9in1 in kildare outlet and it's working out very well so far.

won't do a dinner for the 6 of us, but good for sides and very handy for school and work lunches - chips are very good

their cooking guide times seem a bit all over the shop so it's taking a bit of getting used to...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

looks great. With cooking times for frozen food like chips I generally knock 33% off the time it says on the packaging. So 18-20 minutes for frozen chips in an oven becomes 11-13 minutes in an airfryer. Start with the lower amount and if it needs an extra two minutes then do that.

The same principle doesnt hold true for cooking a full small chicken, it is still an hour to cook it fully through just like the oven. Smaller items like chips or nuggets benefit from the air being blown around at speed as it covers their surfaces more. But with bigger items like a chicken or loin of pork the cooking times are largely the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭obi604

For our first venture in to the air fryer world, picked up a 3 litre in Aldi.

seems decent for 40 Euro. Digital display etc

as said, our first step the air fryer world, if we like it, may get a bigger one

going well so far anyway, getting lots of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

In my Philips air fryer i do chips and onion rings for 20 mins as like some colour on them and shake basket midway of cooking on max setting 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭ Macy Small Squabble

Theirs loads of these now. Which is a good big one that does not have non stick coatings and has a few years warranty on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The beloved Beer Battered Onion Rings are back in Lidl for any new Airfryer users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I guessing I should take these little rubber things off and they were for transport. Anyone know.

From this airfryer.

Taking them off might scratch unit , will that plate go in with them on ?

They are on the the plate to hold it in place in that video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Not sure if in right Thread. Is there much difference in the Tower Vortex 4l and 4.3l Air Fryers anyone know... Please and t.i.a.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Looking for anyone with experience of this..

Deal: Ninja Foodi MAX 15-in-1 SmartLid Multi-Cooker 7.5L [OL750UK] Smart Cook System, Digital Cooking Probe, Electric Pressure Cooker, Air Fryer https://amzn.eu/d/1aLrkum 

currently have small air fryer and instant pot...so may not need this!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I have a Tefal Actifry, the paddle has broken and just wondering should I buy the spare or bite the bullet and just get a new one?

I am not a huge fan of the sausages for instance just been pushed around in the fat and I seen the newer ones seem to let the fat drop down to a tray below. Has the Actifry had its day and the newer ones are better and healthier?

I bought one and returned as chips were taking far too long to cook 30mins , it depends upon if you like yours in the fat get the spare part if available , i went and upgraded to a Philips air fryer and a Ninja Foodi as sausages smoke.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Himself picked up an offbrand spare on ebay when ours broke. The offbrand is going for longer than the original ever did. We'll wait until the motor goes to replace the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

I ended up buying direct fro Tefal, I also picked up this which I hope will raise the food which cooking.

Short on cash at the moment so will use it till it blows up and then buy another

Would love a dual tray one but the prices are crazy

Im not sold on the design of those 2 in 1 airfryer & pressure cooker combos. The thing I like about a standard airfyer is its ease of use with the drawer system, it is quick and fast to just pull it out, dump your food in and shut it back closed again even while it is running. If you are cooking two foods with different timings the drawer system makes it really easy to add more food during cooking.

Whereas with the model linked above you've to remove a heavy lid that has the heating element contained within it and its going to be roasting hot on the underside and it is quite cumbersome to handle. After you remove the lid you've to fish out the inner basket with tongs or similar and thats going to be roasting hot too so you'll need to put it down on a surface that can handle the heat. Whereas with an airfryer drawer you can just tip your chips directly on to your dinner plate. Compared to the ease of use of an airfyers drawer I reckon one of those combo models would be a headwreck to use the airfryer function.

I love my Instant Pot and my airfryer but I use the airfryer perhaps 3-4 times more often than the Instant Pot so ease of use is important. Top loading an airfryer like that just looks like hassle to me. If either of my units ever break down Id just replace like for like, I wouldnt look at a combo model. Im lucky that I have a carousel shelf that the Instant Pot and deep fat fryer live on so I can just spin that around and grab it easily and then the airfryer stays on the kitchen countertop all the time as its used every second day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Much,much appreciated.

The paddle issue came up in the Actifry years ago when it was first released, in fact if you go way back on this thread or find a way to use the search function properly on Boards you can find posts about peoples paddles breaking.

If you can buy a paddle and easily replace it that might be worth doing as the main unit is still working. But I wouldnt go buying a new Actifry for the reason that the paddle breaking is a known issue. And also because in a normal airfryer the air is moving around so fast inside it from all angles that it cooks the food evenly and there is no need for a paddle to agitate it. Given airfryers can be as cheap as 50 or 60 euro it might be worth your while just getting one to replace the Actifry altogether as its very much an old design and not a particulary good one either, Ive read other complaints that the paddle can knock the breading off breaded chicken so thats another downside when youve a mess left to clean up.

And yeah Id say an airfryer is healthier as all the fat sits in the lower basket, things like sausages dont come out of it greasy as they are not being cooked in their own fat like in the Actifry. The fat accumulating in the lower basket can also be handy sometimes, last week I did two breasts of duck in the airfryer and when they were done I poured all the duck fat over some potatoes and then started roasting them in the airfryer while the breasts of duck were resting.

No worries Mr.C, bear in mind Ive never used a combo model but years back I had one of those halogen ovens that Aldi & Lidl used to sell for 30 euro back in the day. They are top loading too and it was always a headwreck dealing with a heavy and roasting hot lid to get at the food, my arm got burnt a few times. I think the combo Ninja models have some sort of a hinge now for the lid but it still wouldnt be difficult to graze your arm off the exposed element and get a burn. Its getting the food in and out of a top loading system that is pretty cumbersome compared to the speed of a drawer.

If a combo model every came along that still had an airfyer drawer Id definitely consider it. But I dont think thats possible as a pressure cooker needs an air tight seal that locks shut and a drawer probably wouldnt be a good fit to achieve that. Who knows though, it might come along at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Has anyone got the Philips Air Fryer XL and managed to keep the basket clean? We've had ours about 4 years now and the basket mesh is just caked with unremovable hardened grease. Tried lots of stuff including steel wool, brushes, soaking in boiling water, run through the dishwasher. Nothing has worked. The house stinks everytime we run the air fryer. Contemplating replacing the tray altogether but looking at upwards of 70/80euro after you factor in delivery from the UK and inevitable customs charges. So thinking of just replacing it altogether with this. My mother in law has it and the basket looks much easier to keep clean because it isn't mesh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Anyone find the food overly dry from airfryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes!

I don't use mine as much as I thought it would.

I find it good for small items that you want crispy - chips, toasted sambo, fish fingers, falafels, that sort of thing.

I hated a burger out of it, weird texture and needed to sear the outside anyway. Chicken breast was like a shell on the outside, nice on the inside though!

It's definitely a great alternative to the full oven for small things, but I'm very choosy about what I'll cook in it.

No not overly dry but has a bearing of what , how high and length of cooking time.

Must try the toasted sambos everybody talking about

I have one over 10 years old and the base is worn/burnt off like paint gone.

pop out the mesh if you can and let soak in some dishwasher tablet overnight and clean the next day. My dishwasher cleans it on a 70c wash.

Why is all this grease in there as are you adding it to food inside.

I bet your ring above has splatters of oil and grease

How do I clean the gunk out of my air fryer?

Create a paste by mixing 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water. Let it sit in the air fryer for 30 minutes, scrub with a toothbrush, then rinse. You can use this mixture as a substitute for the Dawn Powerwash Spray. Personally, I like to use the Dawn Powerwash Spray instead.

How do you remove sticky residue from a deep fryer?

Add Water and Soap

1. Add a squirt of liquid dish soap to the inside of the deep fryer. ...
    2. Mix up the dish soap and water.
    3. Plug the fryer in and turn it on. ...
    4. Let the water come to a boil so the soap solution can break down the remaining grease inside the unit.

Would it not be dangerous to put water in an airfryer and boiling it? Id be afraid some water would get into the element and blow the whole thing up

Might only be a cupful or more just to cover the base and if your basket is in there it will stop it splashing up.

IF you put loads of water in yes then i would be concerned.

The JML halogen oven can be cleaned with about 2" of hot water and Fairy liquid and put on THAW setting and switch on for about 20 mins and when finished wipe the top and glass with a kitchen towel and the bowl if needed with a bristle brush in the sink and rinse with hot water.

AH I REMEMBER PUTTING THE BOILING WATER IN BUT FORGOT TO SAY UNIT WAS UNPLUGGED AND IT WAS THE STEAM THAT HELPED CLEAN ABOVE AROUND THE SMOKING ELEMENT.

I had mine in the dishwasher as base was dirty and the basket.

others could try a dishwashing tab thrown into it and add boiling water to soak overnight in the sink and scrub and rinse off and dry.

Post edited by greasepalm on

Did you read viewers comment as it can cook a small chicken of 1.5kg which is small.

Cooking for 2 might need bigger depending on your appetites.

Keep it well clear of objects with that higher heat setting and where you position it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes, I'll be careful of that, very good advice; I did read it gets very hot, might just use it on the kitchen table rather than under the cupboards...

We eat different food anyway, that should be fine. Thanks for the feedback!👍️

• Advertisement

I am lucky as when got new kitchen over the hob i got a wider extractor fan fitted for these times with stainless steel splashback and can put it on the hob with master switch off.

Customer reviews are handy to give you more that you not thought of.

Advertisement