Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Actifry & AirFryer Thread - Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

If anyone wants to DIY their own divider, I've scanned it as an A4 template here:

http://imgur.com/X93CzRU

Thargor can explain how the hell to do it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doge wrote: »
    If anyone wants to DIY their own divider, I've scanned it as an A4 template here:

http://imgur.com/X93CzRU

Thargor can explain how the hell to do it. :p
    Brilliant thanks for that, will give it a blast at the weekend.

I did a traced version there too just in case I'm missing something and it makes it easier for you:

http://imgur.com/T8xbFcZ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi everyone

Just to give people a little tip (which some of you probably already know about!) when cooking chips in the Actifry...

Make sure you season the chips with salt after coating in the oil.
    I never used to do this and the chips always came out rubbery OR too crumbly and broken up.

After seasoning with a little salt, the chips are transformed and come out perfectly golden brown and crisp on the outside but fluffy in the middle.
    I use rooster potatoes and always have.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

What's the best fryer? Looking for the healthiest one and one that can hold a good amount (I'm a hungry fella)

Do these low oil fryers mean eating chips isn't that much worse than eating boiled spuds for dinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi guys, just a quick question for anyone that upgraded from the standard digital philips airfryer to the XL one,
    I got mine on the Amazon.de lightening deal last week and it arrived Monday so last night was my first time using it and boy is it noisy!

Obviously I'm comparing it to my previous Airfryer which was just a low him like an extractor fan when in use but this one I actually quickly turned off because I thought I might have left some packaging in that was hitting off the fan, but alas there wasn't.

So just wondering if anyone else upgraded like myself and find it noisy. I really don't want to have to send it all the way back to Germany.

I'm gonna post this in the other airfryer thread also.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

What's the best fryer? Looking for the healthiest one and one that can hold a good amount (I'm a hungry fella)

Do these low oil fryers mean eating chips isn't that much worse than eating boiled spuds for dinner?

I have the family sized Tefal Actifry which retails at over €300 (it was given to us though, we didn't pay for it) and it holds a decent amount of food but it's bulky so you won't want it sitting on your kitchen counter.

My Mam has the Phillips Airfryer and that seems to hold less than the Actifry and you can't see how the food's doing so you have to keep checking on it, but people have their personal preferences.
    Example: one of the cons of the Actifry (the one I have) is that the paddle which turns the food, has a tendency to break food up sometimes.

Eating chips made with a tiny amount of oil is of course much better for you than pre-oiled chips (such as some oven chips) and chipper chips and cos you're only using a tiny amount, I would think they're no worse than eating boiled spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

According to youtube videos you can roast a whole 1.5kg chicken in the Airfryer in 35 minutes.
    Has anyone tried? Does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

According to youtube videos you can roast a whole 1.5kg chicken in the Airfryer in 35 minutes.

I haven't tried it, but I would be very wary of it.

I have done very thick sausages in it and they've come out pink in the middle, so I could imagine for something much more bulky like a chicken there would be a greater risk of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have but not in half an hour...I did one in an hour with temp between 160 and 170 . Not sure weight of chicken but it's the smallest one tesco sell.
    I did have to cover top of chicken near the end ... Lovely chicken and very juicy...I have also cooked small pieces of roast beef again at lower temp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I haven't tried it, but I would be very wary of it.

I have done very thick sausages in it and they've come out pink in the middle, so I could imagine for something much more bulky like a chicken there would be a greater risk of this happening.

Surely you lower the temp for the thicker meats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all

I attach a pic of the tray of my Phillips Air fryer....am having problems getting it clean. The attached is after steeping in hot water with Fairy liquid and then giving a good clean with a soft sponge.

How do you clean your air fryer??

Hi guys just a word of warning, we always have our airfryer plugged in as we use it daily and the socket we use is awkward to get at and it isn't switched.

Anyway yesterday evening while using the hob the airfryer beeped and just turned on by itself and turned off and did this intermittently for ten minutes.

We obviously now have it physically plugged out apart from when we are using it but for anyone else that was like us I'd strongly advise you to plug it out at the wall because can you imagine if this happened while you're at work or sleeping.

Our model is the smaller digital one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Masala wrote: »
    Hi all

I attach a pic of the tray of my Phillips Air fryer....am having problems getting it clean. The attached is after steeping in hot water with Fairy liquid and then giving a good clean with a soft sponge.

I use a long-handled brush (after soaking for 5-10 mins) like this:

011158.jpg

Others here have suggested dropping in a dishwasher tablet, but I find that they leave a residue if left for too long. Which means you then have to get out the long-handled brush. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I leave mine steep, I pour boiling water in and reheat it in the actual airfryer. It can also go in the dishwasher, both the grill tray and main basket thing.
    can you imagine if this happened while you're at work or sleeping.
    Nothing much would really happen, as long as it is just turning on and working in a normal way (Just like people would leave a slow cooker on), but maybe the heater could just come on with no fan or something. I am not sure if there is a stated time limit it should be on for, i.e. you should probably be not restating it every 30mins for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hi all

Spray with W5 Multipurpose Degreaser from Lidl (orange spray bottle), leave for 10-15 mins and wash. Works every time. I use a non-scratch sponge scourer* so as not to damage the non-stick coating. Fryer still looks like new despite using it almost every day.

*The white ones , not green.

Anyone else just use Kitchen roll to wipe off the grease on the bucket? :p

Doge wrote: »
    Anyone else just use Kitchen roll to wipe off the grease on the bucket? :p
    Me, if its very bad Ill prop it up in the garden and spray it with the hose :p

Aldi have bags of battered chicken dippers (not the nuggets) that are perfect out of the Philips, really good pub food taste off them.

rubadub wrote: »
    Nothing much would really happen, as long as it is just turning on and working in a normal way (Just like people would leave a slow cooker on), but maybe the heater could just come on with no fan or something. I am not sure if there is a stated time limit it should be on for, i.e. you should probably be not restating it every 30mins for hours on end.
    Are you actually being serious?
    I turned it off after 10 minutes, and seeing that it generated a mind of its own then who's knows if it would have just stayed on at 200°?
    Look I adore both my airfryers and would be absolutely lost without them but I doubt anyone here including yourself would be comfortable with a plastic surrounded metal basket and 200° element to be on for eight hours while you're at work.

You know the way Centras have a kind of butchers section these days full of not very appetising looking packets of meat for not great prices? Well they have packets of 16 big chicken wings in hot sauce for €2.50 in there instead of the €4-8 everything else is, I threw them in the Airfryer for about 30 minutes at 160-170 this evening, wasn't expecting much but they were absolutely spectacular! Just starting to char but still lovely and juicy and super hot, I was shocked, it was like they came off a barbecue, Ill be buying them every week from now on, I would have eaten another 16 of them straight after, should have taken a pic but you know what wings look like...

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Well they have packets of 16 big chicken wings in hot sauce for €2.50

I think I got the same ones in centra a year or so ago, still have a photo of them, I got 20 though, but small enough, couldn't believe the price for centra. They are cut up already so no work, and no unwanted raw tips to get rid of.

I think I got the same ones in centra a year or so ago, still have a photo of them
    Sounds like a quote from the Alan Partridge thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are you actually being serious?
    I turned it off after 10 minutes, and seeing that it generated a mind of its own then who's knows if it would have just stayed on at 200°?
    Look I adore both my airfryers and would be absolutely lost without them but I doubt anyone here including yourself would be comfortable with a plastic surrounded metal basket and 200° element to be on for eight hours while you're at work.

This is your own error. It's caused by you touching the buttons with food debris or oil on your hands. You need to keep the digital pad clean or the food/oil on the buttons can activate the machine.

I have had it happen to me several times when I am making something messy and touch the dial without cleaning my hands. The machine goes up to 200C and then timer button starts going mad as well, going all the way up to 60 minutes (the maximum). It can be a pain in the hole when I'm trying to cook something time sensitive and the timer goes mental.

Wipe the pad clean after you turn on the machine and you won't have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

Sausages in the Philips Airfryer:
    Ok so i overcooked them time wise, so on taste i cant really comment, but they looked like they were not cooked. Is this what they will look like when i cook them or should they brown?
    Patiently trying to get used to using this, all trial and error i know

mel123 wrote: »
    but they looked like they were not cooked.
    Could be the ballooning.
    I do sausages at about 180 or 190, at 200 they often explode. I sometimes prick the skin.

If not pricked they can balloon up. I do mine for about 8-10mins with no preheating. When you pull them out the moment they are done they can look really odd, as the skin can be expanded out like a balloon, depending on brand. It can be tempting to put them back in again as you think they are not brown/done enough -but it is just like a long balloon, which goes a paler colour when blown up, when they cool down the skin contracts and they can look far browner.

Its ideal for people fussy about sausages who do not like any white/pale looking bits.

Or do you mean they did not look cooked when out a while but were overcooked? this could be too low a temp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Different makes can also look very different when cooked. I find skinless are never as brown as ones with skin.
    180c for 8-10 mins depending on make, I find, is perfect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It looks to me as though it might be the type of sausage. They look quite dry. I cooked Superquinn sausages in mine and they browned very well.

180c for 8-10 mins for me aswell, thats after preheating to 180, sausages should be coming out perfect like from the pan, Aldis are all fine, bangers and mash with their premium seasoned butchers ones are probably my favourite thing to cook after chicken wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭mel123

@Thargor recommendations for chicken wings? Do you mean Aldi ones?

• Advertisement

No I mean the Centra ones, €2.50 for a huge pack with a load of sausce slathered on them, havent seen wings in Aldi, just that drumsticks and thigh pack that tastes like really cheap chicken, Centra ones are totally superior imo.

My post before this one was talking about sausages though.

Advertisement