Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killiney/Ballybrack area

Options
  • 18-10-2013 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

We are considering moving to what in estate agent speak is still called Killiney but locals would probably say Ballybrack - along Shanganagh Road, estates such as Abberley, Norwood, maybe Castle Court down the road. They look pleasant enough but Ballybrack seems to have a bit of a reputation so we would appreciate any opinions on possible antisocial behaviour in the area. We are not offended by kids in tracksuits but would not like to end up somewhere with regular burglaries, houses egged, open air drinking, no dog walk without a hassle etc. Any real life impressions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think whatever rep Ballybrack has owes more to the past than the present.
    We used to live there and never had any problems on street or burglaries. Just from driving through, some of the older council flats have been replaced and the appearance has improved since 10 years ago. That being said, if I was a single female, I wouldn't walk alone between Cromlech and the leisure centre at night but you could say that about a lot of places.
    If you're living on the sea side of Shanganagh road it's unlikely you'll frequent any of the pubs/bookies in Ballybrack as your local, although the other shops are used by both Killineyers/Ballybrackers and are handy.

Maybe a current resident can give you a more up to date opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Most of the bad reputation comes from Killiney snobs looking down on a more working class area tbh.

OK, it's not the most idyllic village in Ireland, but it ain't Finglas or Clondalkin as people would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

josip wrote: »
    I think whatever rep Ballybrack has owes more to the past than the present.

+1

I'm originally from Ballybrack, grew up not looking for hassle and never got it. Went to primary school there also.

It's not utopia but it's no different to any run of the mill Dublin area.

To be honest I'd say it's "middlin'".

where you're looking at is fine

Advertisement