Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Communications or Multimedia??

• 18-10-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I am currently finishing a level 6 diploma in Multimedia. Looking at degree courses in DCU for next year and trying to decide which is for me?

I am very into Graphic Design and web/app design. I'm not really into database , computer systems, computing and all that. I like script and media writing also.

Which of these courses would Be most based on graphic and web design and not too much computing ??

I've talked to people from both courses and some people hated the Multimedia course while others loved the communications, However the multimedia sounds more like what I want?

Would really appreciate any more info and opinions on both courses! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Multimedia barely gets into database and such when you compare it to courses like Computer applications. Its not at all a computing course, You just use computers. Its basically just creative digital media. Yeah, there is a little bit of programming, but its really a basic level and they teach you from scratch. There's not much point designing websites or apps if you can't actually make either.

It sounds like Mutimedia is more what you want to do than communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 vixy

yeah that sounds exactly like what I want. Thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Here is a list of subjects currently on the course
    You can feel free to contact a lecturer, or the year head if you have any queries. Its pretty important to get a course thats right for you so its good to check thoroughly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Multimedia sounds like a far better fit for you.

There is a fair amount of coding in Multimedia but it's stuff that you really should know if you want to get into web design. The lower level stuff like databases, server side stuff etc were optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 vixy

Thanks a mill! and I know, I already done 2 years of science before this and realised it wasnt for me :( .. So im certain now on what I want to do!!

I already know how to code and I dont mind it. So hopefully they'll let me in now! :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

vixy wrote: »
    Thanks a mill! and I know, I already done 2 years of science before this and realised it wasnt for me :( .. So im certain now on what I want to do!!

I already know how to code and I dont mind it. So hopefully they'll let me in now! :/

How did you fare Vixy? You get in anywhere and what do you think of it?

Advertisement