Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle Utd v Liverpool FC 12.45 (BT Sport)

• 18-10-2013 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The meeting that is for any neutral one of the highlights of the season - goals goal goals! The two sides have averaged 3.01 per game down the years and no 0-0s since 1974, with some games that have become part of modern legend, esp the 4-3s at Anfield of course.

Last seasons meeting at St James Park proved a pretty dismal one for the home side - tonked 0-6 by a side who were playing without Luis Suarez for the first time since his ban. That there has been some genuine wondering about the Liverpool attack before the game seems silly now as Coutinho in particular made hay. Newcastle were pitiful though.

This meeting sees Liverpool in rude enough health points wise but with a few lurking worries. Newcastle meanwhile are bouncing between pretty poor and pretty good results, but always looking like conceding.

Injury wise Liverpool will have more options now but its unlikely our 'proper Brazilian' will be ready, though Johnson, Allen, Kelly and Cissokho should be in the squad.

Newcastle have a full squad bar Stephen Taylor.

If Johnson starts Rodgers might well switch to a back 4, if so one currently in form CB will be dropped. On other other hand Johnson as a wing back has some appeal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Not looking forward to this at all.

Any quality forward has run riot against us in recent times, so two of the most in-form and dangerous in the league should be fun.

3-1 to Liverpool.

Best case scenario 2-2 draw and i'd be happy with that tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Newcastle can't be as bad as last time surely. I think this'll be a much closer game that could go either way. Liverpool could be good up front, but are far from consistent and if Newcastle are in Liverpool faces from early on will cause real problems as any teams that have played that way have really caused big problems for a Liverpool side that seem to not "like it up them", as the expression goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

It won't be as bad as people are making out but, I still can't see us winning. Depends on which team show up really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

We'll go in level 0-0 at the break and in traditional Pardew fashion, he'll balls it all up tactically and we'll get thumped 3-0 early on in the second half.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That_Guy wrote: »
    We'll go in level 0-0 at the break and in traditional Pardew fashion, he'll balls it all up tactically and we'll get thumped 3-0 early on in the second half.

Given every Liverpool game so far has been the exact opposite to that I'd be surprised. 12 of our 13 goals in all comps have been scored in the first half of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

No Coloccini or Gutierez for Newcastle, huge blow to their starting XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

BT Sport, not Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

im putting liverpool in my weekend accumulator so it will definitely be a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Charlie19 wrote: »
    No Coloccini or Gutierez for Newcastle, huge blow to their starting XI

Coloccini is the only blow there - sadly the absence of Gutierrez is a help rather than a hindrance to the current team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seems to be rumours Lucas will miss the game with an expectant wife and Enrique will also due to a small surgery he had over the break. Probably means cissokho will come in at lb/lwb and henderson will stay in the middle or joe allen may also make a return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

klose wrote: »
    Seems to be rumours Lucas will miss the game with an expectant wife and Enrique will also due to a small surgery he had over the break. Probably means cissokho will come in at lb/lwb and henderson will stay in the middle or joe allen may also make a return.

Johnson might start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

8-10 wrote: »
    Johnson might start too.

He has played left back in the past too and probably would be better at marking Ben arfa if he plays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Early goal to the Liverpool and a toatal capitulation from Newcastle, 3or4 down by the break only for Pardews 1/2 chat to make it worse .... We'll get hockeyed 5-6-7 - 0

And Pardew will still be in charge come next weekemd

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lucas Hasn't traveled with the squad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Liverpool to win by 2 or more, 1-3 at a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No Lucas yellow card....my weekend is going to be all out of sync.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Enrique hasn't travelled apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No 360's either....match won't be worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Anyone else watching BT's lifelong pre match coverage notice that David Ginola appeared to make a rather rude hand gesture after that stats guy walked off set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newcastle Utd XI

Newcastle XI Krul; Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Williamson, Santon; Cabaye, Tioté, Sissoko; Gouffran, Ben Arfa, Rémy

Liverpool starting XI:

Mignolet,
    Toure, Skrtel, Sakho,
    Johnson-Hendo-Gerrard-Cissokho
    Moses,
    Sturridge-Suarez

Liverpool Subs: Jones, Agger, Kelly, Flanagan, Alberto, Sterling, Allen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

1-1.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mike65 wrote: »
    Newcastle Utd XI

Krul; Debuchy,Yanga-Mbiwa, Williamson, Santon; Cabaye, Tiote (c), Sissoko; Gouffran, Ben Arfa, Remy, Cisse

Liverpool starting XI:

Mignolet,
    Toure, Skrtel, Sakho,
    Johnson-Hendo-Gerrard-Cissokho
    Moses,
    Sturridge-Suarez

Liverpool Subs: Jones, Agger, Kelly, Flanagan, Alberto, Sterling, Allen.

if Newcastle start with 12 they might get something from the game. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sissoko and Tiote again. Jesus. They've been absolutely dreadful thus far this season.

Willo and MYM at CB is going to be an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Surely Enrique would be a better choice at LWB. Cissokho isn't renowned for being the best going forward.

Enrique had a small op during the break.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    if Newcastle start with 12 they might get something from the game. :pac:

I blame twitter for that. Post amended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Surely Enrique would be a better choice at LWB. Cissokho isn't renowned for being the best going forward.

Pretty sure thats we he is renowned for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Forgot About remy ....

2-5/6/7 onstead of 0-5/6/7 predicted earlier

I'd swap Moses for Allen and play Allen in CM and Gerrard in hole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

looking forward to this one, im thinking 2-0 pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

4-3 Liverpool :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not liking our line up at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agger dropped is interesting.

Agger dropped is interesting.

He hasn't been dropped, he simply hasn't been returned to the starting 11.

Subtle but important distinction.

Steve Mcmanaman has just called Suarez "the most dangerous player in Europe" I almost choked, what world does this man live on because I assume it is one that shows only English football.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Would be content enough with a point for Liverpool. Although we should be beating the likes of Newcastle if we have serious top 4 ambitions

Ivanovic says hi! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

any links to this match ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Steve Mcmanaman has just called Suarez "the most dangerous player in Europe" I almost choked, what world does this man live on because I assume it is one that shows only English football.

Its called "having an opinion".

Anyone wrote: »
    Its called "having an opinion".

It is, it's just a rather stupid opinion and one which can only be derided.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Yeah, I know right? It's quite clearly Pinto.

d4e2021e-5dfd-4bbd-9da5-3a1501d4990e-460x276.jpeg

d9c939fe-50b4-44a7-997b-f902baaa4967-460x276.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd swap Moses for Allen and play Allen in CM and Gerrard in hole

This. Newcastle with a possible man advantage in the centre if Moses if more interested in attacking than build-up play. Hard to say based on Palace and Sunderland (albeit I didn't watch) but then again it's only Tiote.

Anyone know stats on Suarez after coming back from South America on international duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Not that outrageous of an opinion tbh......pretty sure he said one of the most dangerous players in Europe also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BT Sports crew will be suicidal if this ends as a goalless draw.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Not that outrageous of an opinion tbh......pretty sure he said one of the most dangerous players in Europe also....

He's played only a couple of games this season, he's not yet proven that he is a man that can deliver titles, and he most certainly said that he is "the most dangerous player in Europe" I remember that because it made me throw up a little in my mouth. In reality there have been far better players in Europe so far this season and there were better players in Europe last season too so I really haven't a clue what his comment was based on.

murpho999 wrote: »
    BT Sports crew will be suicidal if this ends as a goalless draw.

Worth throwing a tenner on 0-0 then.

He's played only a couple of games this season, he's not yet proven that he is a man that can deliver titles, and he most certainly said that he is "the most dangerous player in Europe" I remember that because it made me throw up a little in my mouth. In reality there have been far better players in Europe so far this season and there were better players in Europe last season too so I really haven't a clue what his comment was based on.

Just say it he should have said Messi and be done with it, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I find your opinion on this topic a little hard to take seriously when your Boards tag is 'Andersonisgod'. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Hasn't he 2 league winners medals in two different countries as well as a copa america winners medal?

Anyway thats beside the point, a lot would agree and disagree, but i wouldn't be choking if i heard it tbh.....theres not many better than him IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement