Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a bathroom heater

Options
  • 18-10-2013 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys, i'd like to install a bathroom heater in my en suite toilet/shower but have no idea on how to go about this. I've sourced a decent heater from dimplex but just don't know if this is a) an easy enough job to fit myself with the right tutorials or b) would anyone be able to recommend a sparky to fit this for me? The en-suite has a light which is connected to the extractor fan so i'm imagining i run a feed of this? Would appreciate any guidance anyone can give me on this! Cheers, J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

you would need to give the spec of the heater and see what amps it is taking as it may over load the lighting circuit... Also ya need to see what zone in the bathroom it is going into as u only allowed certian items in certain zones of a bathroom.. Its reg stuff that i wont bore u with but its something to bare in mind.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

geanfranco wrote: »
    Hi guys, i'd like to install a bathroom heater in my en suite toilet/shower but have no idea on how to go about this. I've sourced a decent heater from dimplex but just don't know if this is a) an easy enough job to fit myself with the right tutorials or b) would anyone be able to recommend a sparky to fit this for me?

My advice is to employ the services of a registered electrrical contractor.
    You will find one here:
    www.ecssa.ie
    www.reci.ie

Traditionally electricity & water can be a dangerous mix!
    The en-suite has a light which is connected to the extractor fan so i'm imagining i run a feed of this?

In some cases it may be possible to supply a low powered heater from a lighting circuit, but generally not.

If I were doing this I would feed it from a seperate circuit.

Would appreciate any guidance anyone can give me on this! Cheers, J.

As a general rule it is best to let the electrician to advise on the type of heater. Some heaters may not be suitable for use in a bathroom. There may also be issues with "zoning" (some appliances can not be installed in some zones within a bathroom).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 geanfranco

Thanks for all the advice lads..much appreciated!

Advertisement