Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I consider my pup house trained?

• 18-10-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I have a 4.5 month old lab, he has been crate trained since we had him and his last accident was ages ago (can't remember exactly when). He has been sleeping in his crate in the utility until now. We were going to start him sleeping outside in his kennel (I posted a thread about this the other day) but he won't take to it so considering just leaving him sleep on his bed in the utility i.e. no crate.
    We don't want to buy another larger crate so that's not an option. Should he be ok since he's left out to go to the toilet last thing at night and then I get up early to walk him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

robocode wrote: »
    I have a 4.5 month old lab, he has been crate trained since we had him and his last accident was ages ago (can't remember exactly when). He has been sleeping in his crate in the utility until now. We were going to start him sleeping outside in his kennel (I posted a thread about this the other day) but he won't take to it so considering just leaving him sleep on his bed in the utility i.e. no crate.
    We don't want to buy another larger crate so that's not an option. Should he be ok since he's left out to go to the toilet last thing at night and then I get up early to walk him.

I am not going to say he is 100% trained, he may have an accident or two but he could be. Is the utility tiled? should be easy to clean up if he has an accident. We all went through it with ours! :)

I should also have said he will be losing teeth soon and chewing will start, so be prepared :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

logik wrote: »
    I am not going to say he is 100% trained, he may have an accident or two but he could be. Is the utility tiled? should be easy to clean up if he has an accident. We all went through it with ours! :)

I should also have said he will be losing teeth soon and chewing will start, so be prepared :)

+1 my pups teeth have been falling out the last week - she's 5 months next week. You could maybe section off part of the utility with a baby gate or puppy pen to be safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

It is sectioned off from the kitchen with a baby gate and it is tiled. I wouldn't mind the odd accident, I would just be worried if he starts it might undo the training. Do you see the teeth when they fall out? He has been a chewer from day one. The vet checked him the other day and said quite a few of the adult teeth were through already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

robocode wrote: »
    Do you see the teeth when they fall out? .
    Most of them time no, as they tend to swallow them which is normal but you might see the odd one on the floor or stuck in something that he's been chewing.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Most of them time no, as they tend to swallow them which is normal but you might see the odd one on the floor or stuck in something that he's been chewing.

Yeah one of the traits labs have is chewing, my god can they chew. Mine have eaten parts of my garden and one even ate her food bowl. Didnt swallow it but just broke it into pieces and left it on the lawn.

I only found 3-4 teeth when they were teething, most are swallowed. If he has an accident a few times i really wouldnt worry. Mine were as good as house trained at 7 months but there was still the odd accident which is normal.

Also make sure you are worming him. Labs are a great breed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've seen 2 so far on the ground/in bedding and ...a few in poo lol! :p

He was wormed just before we got (9 weeks) and he's about 18 weeks now so he shouldn't need to be wormed again right away? I think (girlfriend remembers better!) the vet said bring him in for another check-up in November and he'll go through it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes he should be wormed!!

They are wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks until 8 weeks then every month until 6 month then every 3 months from then on, so your pup is way over due a worming dose.

Should have had a worm dose at 12 weeks and 16 weeks, so hes missed 2 so id get that sorted asap.

Crap! How did the vet miss that?! We've had him at the vet a few times! Could the vet have wormed him and maybe I wasn't aware? He did put something on him, 'stop' or 'guard' or something

He prob flea and tick treatment, but maybe check did he worm him also.

Worming is very important in puppies so maybe give them a ring and see what they gave him. How many times has he been at the vets since you got him?

• Advertisement

Once for his final shots, and twice since then.

Was there something wrong that you had to go back twice?

andreac wrote: »
    Yes he should be wormed!!

They are wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks until 8 weeks then every month until 6 month then every 3 months from then on, so your pup is way over due a worming dose.

Should have had a worm dose at 12 weeks and 16 weeks, so hes missed 2 so id get that sorted asap.

Agree with this, he needs to be wormed regularly as a pup, when picking up the poo, make sure a use gloves and the dog bag. Worms being worms are contagious. I would be worming him again.

Yeah one time we went back because he were too over protective and thought he was sick when he was just lazy :) The 2nd time was just a check up

Ah right ok. Well then def ask the vets was he wormed and if not get it done asap.

Will do! Now that I think of it I kind of remember the vet giving him something else. I'll check this evening

Advertisement