Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does RAM need to be balanced?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

If I have 2 RAM slots with 8gig in 1, and I want to expand, do I absolutely have to put in 8gig in the other? Do I need even to get the same brand, etc as the other slot?

I put a 4gig stick in the spare slot, but Win8 comes up with BSOD every now and then which after doing some Googling, looks like it could be related to the RAM. However, a memtest (using HP's own diagnostic tool) brought up no issues and Win8 is happily showing me with 12gigs.

(Note: Win8 has BSOD'd about 3 times over the last week)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Unless you diagnose the BSOD you can't tell for sure it the crashes are memory related.

As for your question, yes, it is recommended to use identical memory modules, or at least modules from the same manufacturer and series,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Torqay wrote: »
    Unless you diagnose the BSOD you can't tell for sure it the crashes are memory related.

You're right, I can't, but I can remove the RAM I added and see if that clears it up. If there's potential for something to go wrong, it's got to be with the thing I added after buying the machine, ie adding the 4gigs of RAM, and it sounds like I need to be a bit more careful in how I go about adding extra RAM, not just throwing in a random stick.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is your bios up to date? Some motherboards do not like higher rated RAM which can cause all sorts of problems. Do the bios update only when your certain your system is stable, removing the problematic module.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most websites selling RAM have a memory configurator which will give you the rules for your machine. Highly unlikely that you have to have the same brand, have never heard of anyone imposing that rule. Dell, Apple, Lenovo, etc. do not manufacture memory and from time to time they change suppliers so there is no way they can say that the two slots have to be filled with memory from the same manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well it wasn't the RAM (or at least it wasn't JUST the RAM). I removed it on Friday evening, and got through all yesterday without an issue, but have just had another BSOD, same error.

• Advertisement
Advertisement