Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping belongings to Perth

Options
  • 18-10-2013 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, so eveythings in the pipeline and will be moving to Perth in August. Now all i have to do is figure out do i bring our contents with us in a container or do i sell what i can and start over furniture etc wise in Oz? I have a 3 bedroomed house but im realistically looking at bringing Double bed, 2 Tv's, Kitchen table, 4 chairs, 2x 2 seater sofas, 5 wall units, Washer, cooker and chest freezer, kitchen utensils then clothes, paintings, photo frames and personal belongings.

Can anyone rec a company that they have used or heard are competitive? There are so many to choose from that my head is melted from looking. Is there much call for a shared container or could i be looking at a lengthy time wait till the container gets filled?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Hi monica

Was in a similar position two years but decided in the end not to bother shipping anything, sold/donated a lot of stuff, some is being minded. At the time the quotes just didn't justify the cost, especially as weren't sure if we'd be long term.

Rents were extremely high at the time and quality/space was bad compared to ireland although choice has greatly improved since mining starting cooling off. I'm glad we didn't bring stuff as we're probably moving on next year so we can sell the essentials we bought in Ikea and leave with the bags on our backs.

Hope that's of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Hey folks, so eveythings in the pipeline and will be moving to Perth in August. Now all i have to do is figure out do i bring our contents with us in a container or do i sell what i can and start over furniture etc wise in Oz? I have a 3 bedroomed house but im realistically looking at bringing Double bed, 2 Tv's, Kitchen table, 4 chairs, 2x 2 seater sofas, 5 wall units, Washer, cooker and chest freezer, kitchen utensils then clothes, paintings, photo frames and personal belongings.

Can anyone rec a company that they have used or heard are competitive? There are so many to choose from that my head is melted from looking. Is there much call for a shared container or could i be looking at a lengthy time wait till the container gets filled?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi, we moved to perth 3 years ago. We didn't bring any furniture or white goods. It wasn't worth it, instead we shipped personal effects only, clothes, hair dryers that sort of thing and some of kids favourite toys. We did bring our good kitchen utensils and gadgets as well as bed linen. We ended up shipping around 1.5 cubic metres via around 10 boxes. Cost around €700 if I remember rightly.
    Look at "fantastic furniture" etc for cheap furniture. It might be better to buy than ship. Same for white goods, washing machines etc go for around $500 new from "good fellas" and that's with full warranty etc. is your old washing machine worth shipping to other side of world??
    Also... Will your furniture fit in your new home? Will it suit? Is it appropriate for aus? Your fridge and freezer need to be pretty big, everything needs to be refrigerated! No leaving fruit or chocolate in a bowl in 40 degrees!
    Ikea also deliver, order on line, get delivered, put together, cheap but good quality.
    There is also lots of second hand stores like cash converters for electrical goods. Depends on your own likes and dislikes I guess as well. I walked into a discount/cheap furniture store got tables, chairs, 2 x 3 seater sofas, a good queen and a good double with mattresses for around 3k then across road to good fellas for fridge/freezer, tv, washer, microwave, kettle, toaster, Hoover for about 3k as well. Picked up things like bedside lockers and tv cabinet for $5 each in Op shop (2nd hand).
    So that's $6k for full house of new stuff with warranties, convert back to euro and look at cost of shipping. Might be worth it.You could go cheaper even if you wanted.
    After we got settled we started slowly replacing the cheaper bits with better stuff although that was probably the wife's way of getting rid of stuff I bought, I furnished the house before she arrived so maybe my taste was n't ideal!!
    Big advantage for us was we left our irish stuff in Ireland with family so might be there if we ever return.
    Can't remember name of shipping company beyond they were in togher area of cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.[/QUO

Good second hand furniture and white goods are sold on gumtree.com.au.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Thanks folks, yep it does look expensive, i've contacted 5 seperate companies and have had only one reply as ye and its for 5000 euros? My stuff wouldnt even be worth that in all honesty with depreciation over the years. But i must say D POP, that i like your idea, we dohave some kitcheny things that we spent serious money on that i would hate to part, and 700 sounds fair for your amount of boxes. Now for the fun part of trying to sell the stuff!
    Thanks again folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Now for the fun part of trying to sell the stuff!
    We managed to sell a lot of stuff to friends via facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

We moved to Melbourne from Ireland and brought small amount of furniture and other bits and pieces (toys, books, clothes, bike etc). Used Careline on part load basis and found them fine. We paid for approx. box room size in volume (can't remember m3) and when they collected I had extra on the side and they kept filling the truck till we reached the volume we paid for. Worth bearing in mind you pay for volume not weight. We had to bring text books etc worth over 1000€ so that alone made sense for us to do part load shipping.

Part load means though you wait till they have a full container before it's shipped. You could be first in or last in and makes a difference to transit time. Took 15 weeks got our stuff to arrive.

Bear in mind it's easier to beg, borrow, steal from friends and family at home then when you arrive. So if shipping, ship early and do without stuff in Ireland.

Advertisement