Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Desktop not starting up

Options
  • 18-10-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place to write this. I have a HP Pavillon Slimline s5306uk that has been out of use for about 7 months. I use my laptop mostly so would use it maybe every week before that. I've set it up today and firstly it started and was loading but the keyboard and mouse were not being picked up so I tried to shut it down and re-start it. Now the fan is going and the lights are turning on but its not registering the screen either. Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

To me that sounds like faulty RAM, you should try reseat it and if there are two modules, swap them around and try test it again. Then indivually try 1 on their own each.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

advertsfox wrote: »
    To me that sounds like faulty RAM, you should try reseat it and if there are two modules, swap them around and try test it again. Then indivually try 1 on their own each.
    Thank you for the response....but I have no idea what that means :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Thank you for the response....but I have no idea what that means :(
    Well RAM is random access memory used by the OS for all running processes / services. Without it, your PC will show nothing on screen (thus why it seems like your issue here because your fan and lights are working) - http://www.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm

You can reseat yours (take it out, put it back in again) easily - here's an upgrade guide for your PC model, the RAM is usually very accessible - http://www.coderetard.com/2008/06/25/how-to-upgrade-hp-pavilion-slimline-ram-and-replace-harddrive/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Are you hearing any beeps when you power it on? also, what colour is the light on the front?

If you're going to reseat the RAM / memory make certain that the computer is unplugged for for about 30 seconds before you do, also don't wear a jumper doing this and be sure to touch your hand off the metal case before you go near the components.

If the machine is giving any sort of beep code then you can google it, HP have a list of beep codes online.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

Are you hearing any beeps when you power it on? also, what colour is the light on the front?

If you're going to reseat the RAM / memory make certain that the computer is unplugged for for about 30 seconds before you do, also don't wear a jumper doing this and be sure to touch your hand off the metal case before you go near the components.

If the machine is giving any sort of beep code then you can google it, HP have a list of beep codes online.

The light is orange for about a second and then goes green and stays green from then on. There's no sound at all other than the fan. I'm a bit nervous to do it myself so I might just have to give it in somewhere. I assume anywhere would take this? I'd be likely to do the wrong thing!

Thanks for the replies :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If you are not comfortable with openeing the case and disconnecting/removing components you should seek professional help.

Advertisement