Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Tank transplant

Options
  • 18-10-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hi All

My tank has sprung a leak, seems to be alone the seam where the 2 panels are joined. I'm going to pick up a new one tomorrow. Obviously, not in a position to do a propper fishless cycle.

What is the best / most humane way to get the fish into the new tank?
    I guess the best bet is to use the old water / gravel and filter etc. Any other tips are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Once you move your gravel, filter and 50% of your water you should be ok.

I had the same thing happen before and had no problems with it.

One tip I would give is to try to re-fill your new tank as gently as possible. Even "clean" gravel kicks up a huge amount of detritus when it's disturbed that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Thanks Sleepy.Good tip with the gravel!
    i remember when i put it in first. Washed it at least 3 times and the water still looked like a quarry when i was filling it.
    I'd wash it again before it goes into the new tank, dont want to loose the bacteria etc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Exactly what I did. Couldn't do much harm to give it a quick rinse in the tank water you'll be discarding though?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    i remember when i put it in first. Washed it at least 3 times and the water still looked like a quarry when i was filling it.
    I'd wash it again before it goes into the new tank, dont want to loose the bacteria etc though.

Surely a lot of your "good" bacteria is held in the gravel as well and therefore I'd be careful not to clean it too well? I'm open to correction though :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Don't wash the gravel with tap water. Use thank water only.

Keep all your filter media as we'll and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Gordy6040 wrote: »

Unless its a porous type of gravel (lava stone, etc) then the majority of the bacteria is going to be in the filter.

This is a rare chance for you to fully clean your gravel, as no amount of siphoning will get everything.

CC

Advertisement