Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i benchmark usb flash drives

Options
  • 18-10-2013 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

I've tried using usbflashspeed but all it shows up is:

Refreshing devices.
    ERROR: Problems with detecting some devices.
    Refreshing devices. [Done]

It doesnt show any of the drives to benchmark,

I have a Medion 16GB & Store n Go 32GB

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Two commonly used ones.

So is HD Tune. Portable version here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Here is what i got from the results: from HDTune,

As attotech wanted me to sign up & couldnt use crystalmark as my usb devices were almost 100% used up.

Would the results be different if my devices werent almost full-up?

You have used a HDD benchmarking app, it's of limited use for flash based drives. Nobody uses HDTune to benchmark flash drives, they use ATTO and Crystaldisk mark, that's why I listed them.

Benchmarks work by writing data to the drive, so of course you need free space to do it. In CrystalDiskMark and ATTO you can select the size you want to work with. But for comparing to other peoples benchmarks its a good idea to use an empty drive and just go with the default values.

Nobody uses HDTune to benchmark flash drives

LOL

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    LOL
    HDD speed varies from inside to outside of platter which is the whole point of HDTunes benchmark.

Flash drives dont which is why he has a straight line left to right. Its pointless.

The access time metric is largely irrelevant for thumbdrives also.

Read/write of various transfer sizes is more useful for benchmarking thumbdrives.

Well, ATTO and CrystalDisk are HDD benchmark utilities in the first place as well. If you look around for flash benchmark recommendations, you'll find HD Tune recommended with all the usual suspects.

If you're looking for a dedicated flash memory test and benchmarks software, I'd recommend this little Russky tool.

Advertisement