Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband - Questions

• 18-10-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be moving soon and I'm thinking about getting Sky broadband into the new place. I currently have UPC BB with Sky TV.
    Just a couple of questions.
    When Sky BB was first launched in Ireland I read that the speeds weren't great. How are they now? Any problems with speeds at peak hours?
    Will Apple AirPort Express work with a Sky BB box? I don't own one at the moment but was thinking about getting one.

Any help/advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Stephen P wrote: »
    I'm going to be moving soon and I'm thinking about getting Sky broadband into the new place. I currently have UPC BB with Sky TV.
    When Sky BB was first launched in Ireland I read that the speeds weren't great. How are they now? Any problems with speeds at peak hours?
    Will Apple AirPort Express work with a Sky BB box? I don't own one at the moment but was thinking about getting one.

I've had sky broadband for a few weeks. The speed is always in around 6 to 6.5mb regardless of the time of day, off peak or otherwise. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work with airport express. I'd recommend it definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

If you are not too bothered with up to 24mb speeds (depending on your phone line), yeah Sky is fine. Maybe do a check on their website to see what speeds you could get? Sky won't be doing fibre until next year.

I'm in DSL only land (fibre a good way off too), and Sky is working out great for me (on trial price too) .... speeds have steadied nicely after their shaky start. Unlimited downloads is a nice add-on too.

My Airport express works fine too as expected - works with any router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to seriously think about changing over once I move. I don't use Netflix or use BB for gaming so I think Sky's speed should do the trick.

Is it possible to get Sky BB without having to get Sky Talk? I have no need for a home phone. I understand I'd need an active phone line but don't want the phone package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to get the phone but you don't have to use it.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You need to get the phone but you don't have to use it.

Is it €10 p/mth for BB plus €30 for phone? They still charge for phone even if you don't want or use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ellie1984

Is it €10 p/mth for BB plus €30 for phone? They still charge for phone even if you don't want or use it?

Yes, because you have to pay line rental :(

Ellie1984 wrote: »
    Yes, because you have to pay line rental :(

Ah crap! :( I thought I would be saving money going from UPC but I'm on an old package with UPC and paying €36 p/mth. Better have a rethink :confused:

Advertisement