Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT...! TY OR FIFTH YEAR.

• 18-10-2013 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Okay so I am currently in Ty in my school. I got my Jc results back and was happy. My school do a 3 year leaving cert. I picked Irish, Maths, English, German, Economics, Business, & Applied Maths. The thing is my ty is all work work work. After joining applied maths late by like 6/7 weeks I don't know if I like it. I was thinking of going to a purely academic school which I think would allow me do music instead of Applied Maths which I cant do in my school. I love music and I got a b in the JC without any much study. Would it be a bad idea to move...? I mean I love my school and most of my teachers. But if ty is just going to be work would I be better doing it in 2 years than 3? My school has great opportunities like going to Zambia, plays and stuff like that but I don't know if I could last three years and I kinda feel that school just isn't the place for me. Its funny though because I want to be a teacher. I don't know what I want to do...? The school I think I would want to go to is Hewitt? Anyone heard anything about it? A couple of my friends go there. Would I be able for a 2 yr leaving cert at this stage. If you don't want to reply just answer in the poll it would be very helpful thank you.

Should I move..? 15 votes

Yes if you want to.
    0%
    Yes
    73%
    Ciara GaGaSquidgy BlackaaabbbbLostBoy101yournerdGetronicleA7XGirlMario852MightyMandarina0ifeeyoho139 11 votes
    No
    26%
    brianblazepa4huey1975Minigocko 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

By 3 year LC, do you mean your school is using TY to do Leaving Cert. work?
    They're not supposed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Yes
    They say that people who do TY get 10% more points in their LC than those who dont, they also say TY students are more sociable and more mature. I skipped TY and I was 4th best in my school on points and think i was way better without it. It is a waste of time and costs soo much money. And you really have to take part in everything to get the best out of it. I talked to other 4th years and they said the trip away is the best thing about it and I got the chance to go on the trip so yeah :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

Yes
    I said yes if you want to, but you may be leaving it a bit late.

Like Spurious said, they're not meant to do 5th year work in TY. When I did it, my English teacher made sure to only do texts that wouldn't be on our course, even.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

spurious wrote: »
    By 3 year LC, do you mean your school is using TY to do Leaving Cert. work?
    They're not supposed to do that.
    No they can do that. A lot of schools I know do it.

Generally I kinda just want to get out of school if ya know what I mean.

Yes
    They can, they're not supposed to. Spurious teaches, I think he'd be better informed than the rest of us.

• Advertisement

yoho139 wrote: »
    They can, they're not supposed to. Spurious teaches, I think he'd be better informed than the rest of us.

Well they don't teach us like fully. I mean in English we don't know what we are studying. But like in Irish were doing like 10 poems so we have started on that and in Business, Economics and everything else really.

Yes
    in Irish were doing like 10 poems so we have started on that and in Business, Economics and everything else really.

So you're starting the LC in everything but English.

So you're starting the LC in everything but English.
    Ya pretty much...! Unfair I know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I were you, I'd say no more on what your school is doing.

Your Principal could get into big trouble and staff lose their jobs over it, as a particular PTR allowance is given for TY and it's not supposed to be a 3 year LC.

That wouldn't be fair on all the LC candidates who studied their courses in two years like they are supposed to.

Yes

Your Principal could get into big trouble and staff lose their jobs over it, as a particular PTR allowance is given for TY and it's not supposed to be a 3 year LC.

That wouldn't be fair on all the LC candidates who studied their courses in two years like they are supposed to.

If I were him, I would. Exactly because of that.

• Advertisement

There's quite an amount of identifying info in this thread if someone wanted to work out what school it is.

Im quite sure its allowed a lot of schools I know are doing it. I had to choose my subjects in May before I even sat the Junior Cert. That is not the question at hand though guys,...!

Can the Transition Year be part of a three-year Leaving Certificate programme?

The Transition Year programme is a school-designed, distinctive programme and should not constitute year one of a three-year Leaving Certificate. TY is part of the Senior Cycle experience and lays a solid foundation for Leaving Certificate studies. TY programmes should challenge students intellectually, give them an orientation to the world of work and cater for the development of their personal and social awareness. Research has shown that students who take TY achieve, on average, higher points in the Leaving Certificate exam; this is perhaps due to the development of their general study skills as well as the skills required for each individual subject.

Can the Transition Year be part of a three-year Leaving Certificate programme?

The Transition Year programme is a school-designed, distinctive programme and should not constitute year one of a three-year Leaving Certificate. TY is part of the Senior Cycle experience and lays a solid foundation for Leaving Certificate studies. TY programmes should challenge students intellectually, give them an orientation to the world of work and cater for the development of their personal and social awareness. Research has shown that students who take TY achieve, on average, higher points in the Leaving Certificate exam; this is perhaps due to the development of their general study skills as well as the skills required for each individual subject.

I mean we still do Ty stuff like 2 classes a day of Double computers or Pe or something of the sort. Please help me with the question in hand PLEASE?

Your poll seems decisive.

Your poll seems decisive.

Okay but I suppose it will take a lot more thinking. I will have to sleep on it
    what do you think after reading it all..?

To be honest I'm really annoyed my LC students are up against people in a school that gives their students 50% extra time to study subjects.

I'm a big fan of TY and would always encourage people to do it, but by that I mean proper TY, where they do all the things like the mini-medical school and Junk Kouture and all the other things there isn't time for in LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

She. :)
    Im quite sure its allowed a lot of schools I know are doing it.
    A lot of people you know probably manage to buy alcohol too, but that doesn't make it legal.

As far as the Department is concerned, TY is *not* Year 1 of the LC.

Yes
    She. :)

I swear, every single time (rare enough) that I use a gender pronoun online...

To be honest I'm really annoyed my LC students are up against people in a school that gives their students 50% extra time to study subjects.

I'm a big fan of TY and would always encourage people to do it, but by that I mean proper TY, where they do all the things like the mini-medical school and Junk Kouture and all the other things there isn't time for in LC.

What subjects do you teach? I don't get how schools cant do nothing. I mean what do ye do in class? what subjects do ye do? How often do ye go away or stuff like that?

• Advertisement

Every day of the week our TYs are doing something non-academic.

They are involved in a fitness programme for local primary schools where they go out to the schools and organise classes for the little ones, the green schools committee - they handle all the recycling in the school, go on work experience, paired reading again with the primary schools. taster subjects for LC (which they do for a few weeks at a time), web page design, learning about setting up computers and projectors and basic networking, setting up a school bank, they have a big involvement in the Student Council, they do all the shadowing opportunities for colleges, the mini-medical school will be coming up soon and they always take part in the Junk Kouture competition. At the moment they are fundraising for their trip to Italy. Some of them have done murals around the school for the walls outside different subject rooms.

They also have modules on suicide prevention, driving skills, peer alcohol counselling and all the other health related things.

That's only the things I know that they do, there's much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Your technically not allowed to cover new material, but I did in my school. My school was purely academic for 4th year and I didnt get to experience anything new like other schools. I gained nothing from 4th year. Although work experience in a luxury supermarket seeing how unhappy the staff were for their €8,65 an hour, made me determined to go to college.

I regret not moving to a grind school after 3rd year( my school was private so it wasnt going to work out more expensive going to a grinds school). OP I think the fact your are considering skipping 4th year indicates you think you arent making the right choice doing 4th year.

Yes
    Every day of the week our TYs are doing something non-academic.

They are involved in a fitness programme for local primary schools where they go out to the schools and organise classes for the little ones, the green schools committee - they handle all the recycling in the school, go on work experience, paired reading again with the primary schools. taster subjects for LC (which they do for a few weeks at a time), web page design, learning about setting up computers and projectors and basic networking, setting up a school bank, they have a big involvement in the Student Council, they do all the shadowing opportunities for colleges, the mini-medical school will be coming up soon and they always take part in the Junk Kouture competition. At the moment they are fundraising for their trip to Italy. Some of them have done murals around the school for the walls outside different subject rooms.

They also have modules on suicide prevention, driving skills, peer alcohol counselling and all the other health related things.

That's only the things I know that they do, there's much more.

Wish I'd gone to your school for TY. We basically sat around doing nothing for a year. We had a grand total of about 5 trips and a couple of guest speakers.

A lot of what ours do is initiated by themselves. They've seen other TY classes doing things and many of them even in third year are talking about things they'd like to do.

We've three big TY classes, so there's usually something to suit everyone. The co-ordinator is a saint though, she puts in so much extra work, often thanklessly.

VEC DEIS school, in case anyone thinks we're overflowing with dosh.

Of course we have some students who are not really suited to mainstream education, but sure we have to struggle on with them. We find if we spread them around the classes they don't have as destructive an influence.

Yes
    We were three relatively big classes too, but our school was pretty inflexible in letting us organise stuff, and our co-ordinator didn't do much. In fairness to her, she's still recovering from cancer from a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That's impressive, spurious, even among those schools who take TY seriously and do it well.

hfallada wrote: »
    Your technically not allowed to cover new material, but I did in my school. My school was purely academic for 4th year and I didnt get to experience anything new like other schools. I gained nothing from 4th year. Although work experience in a luxury supermarket seeing how unhappy the staff were for their €8,65 an hour, made me determined to go to college.

I regret not moving to a grind school after 3rd year( my school was private so it wasnt going to work out more expensive going to a grinds school). OP I think the fact your are considering skipping 4th year indicates you think you arent making the right choice doing 4th year.

Ya a pure grinds school wouldn't work out dearer as I would skip a year and am currently in a private school anyway.

Advertisement