Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2014 info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    The problem is the Public Appointments Service are running it! Civil servants who have no got a clue about An Garda Síochána.

The tests are outdated and antiquated! They were based on a Scottish model. A college style examination could be used instead.

I would suggest you look into how other Police Forces recruit. It is certainly not done like this method.

I don't know how other forces recruit. I know the PSNI is similar enough, but so what?

As long as they get 300 candidates they're happy. I trust the system.

I'm sure the people running the competition have done plenty of courses etc. and they know what there doing.

What do you mean a college style test? Do you propose they bring in essays, power points or assignments instead?

What's your proposal to picking 300 out of 25,000?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The system does not work! It does not always pick the best candidates or the most suitable either.

I never mentioned influence or interviewing 20,000-25,000. The tests are outdated and antiquated! I suggest you look at how other Police forces recruit. It is not done like this.

It's only one aspect of a selection system. The Gardaí have a lengthy training and probation system where people are under continuous assessment. They can use these methods (if they have the desire) to rid themselves of poor performers. The problem is that the Gardaí (like the Catholic Church) have used the side lining of unsuitable members by means of transfer to other sections and stations as an easy way to deal with disciplinary matters than doing the proper thing and dismissing people who clearly are unsuitable to be Gardaí. All they are doing is shoving the problem under the carpet. Invariably the offender will offend again because he/she knows he will get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

Trust the system is the key! The current process is flawed and it is outdated and antiquated! There is no transparency.

Believe me, the Civil Servants have not got a clue.

The Garda Force is short 5,000!

250-300 is not adequate. Sure, that number will have retired by the time the first they all pass out!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

As an ex Garda, I'm saying your facts need to be checked. I was never referred to as a recruit at any time. It was a term that ceased to be used post 1992.(Conroy Commission).It's up to you.
    Also, is it wise to have a petition on the same site that seeks to legalise a prohibited substance? It isn't sending the correct message.

The current and correct official term is: Garda Student/s. Previously they were known as 'Garda Recruit/s'.

People in Templemore now generally refer to them as 'Garda Students' (or 'Students') which is the correct terminology and it is more pc. However, a lot of people still refer to most Garda students as 'Garda Recruits' or just simply as 'Recruits' even to this very day, not just in Templemore but also throughout Ireland. Garda Trainee is also used.

In the late 1980's - early 1990's Garda recruits were commonly known or referred to as 'Yellow Packs' (which was derived from the Quinnsworth yellow pack branding of the 1980's) by locals because of the yellowish colour epaulette slides worn back then on their uniforms.

The term Probationer Garda/í or 'Probationer' is generally only used internally amongst Garda members or for official use by the Force and is rarely used, if at all, by the general public.

By calling them Garda Recruits will in no way 'disbarr' or would in any way effect any potential candidate's eligibility into the Gardaí. I have heard them called worse. Candidates not even been able pronounce the name of the Garda Force or by correct title in full (An Garda Síochana) and even referred it to as the 'Police' is far worse and some of these individuals even made it into the Force!

Gaelige/Irish is the 'First Official Language' of Éire/Ireland and therefore of the Gardaí. Hence the name of the Force.

The Official and State recognised name in full and correct name of the Garda Force is:

An Garda Síochána na hÉireann.

The Official and State recognised name of the College is: Coláiste an Gharda Síochána as Ghaeilge or Garda Síochána College in English. These titles are used on all official Garda paperwork and documents generally used by Garda staff at the Garda College.

The 'Garda College' is the term generally used by Gardaí and civilian staff and by most locals on a day to day basis in Templemore. Previously the Garda College was known as and is still often referred to as the; the Garda Training Centre (GTC), Garda Depot or the 'Depot', and Garda Training College, Templemore - with full title prefix of An Garda Síochána for official use. All of these terms are still used today by locals and even by some retired members.

It is also referred to even by it's original name of McCann Barracks by some of the town's older residents or those in particular with Irish Defence Forces (FCA/later Army Reserve) or British Army connections.

Some locals will often refer either to Garda College or the local Garda Station as the 'Barracks'. However, the Garda 'Barracks' - Templemore Garda Station used to be on Barrack Street (until 2005) which was on the opposite side of the right exterior wall of the Garda College, and prior to that the older RIC/Garda Barracks was on Main Street, Templemore. The current Garda Station (Garda Barracks) now occupies Bradish's former grocery shop beside the main entrance to the Town Park on Main Street, Templemore.

However, Devil08's atitude stinks and he should not have even bothered apply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Don't mind the smart answers adam88, this is meant to be a light-hearted, helpful site but these forums have a lot of experts on them (even though they couldn't be further from experts). I wonder will they be so smart when they actually get in nd a superior is picking them up over paper work bein done slightly wrong or a possible HIV positive addict gettin in their face or a 6 foot 4 juice head in their face on a sat night, I doubt it!
    Good luck with your application.

I'm giving no smart answers, just my scenario. I'm more relaxed than when I was applying for my own job, the reason purely because if I don't get it, it won't be the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

If you want to throw your opinion around of me then save it for PM, I'll gladly deal with you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator post:

On-thread warning to EIRE1922: Do not get personal. Employ the boards.ie Golden Rule: Attack the post, not the poster.

No reply or comment on this post please folks, please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RANDOMUSER

Trust the system is the key! The current process is flawed and it is outdated and antiquated! There is no transparency.

Believe me, the Civil Servants have not got a clue.

The Garda Force is short 5,000!

250-300 is not adequate. Sure, that number will have retired by the time the first they all pass out!

You do know that the clueless civil servants design these tests in conjunction with An Garda Siochana. And AGS use the man power and facilities that PAS have to run the exams on their behalf.

It is not PAS who determine how many candidates will go through to training again that is determind by AGS and also the Dept of Justice.

If you want to slate anyone about the current levels in the force direct your mud slinging at the current members of Government who have reduced each public sector bodies budgets which hinders them in recruiting the necessary numbers you have quoted.

Ah but sure isnt it the fashion just to call Civil Servants stupid and lazy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

RANDOMUSER wrote: »

Ah but sure isnt it the fashion just to call Civil Servants stupid and lazy:rolleyes:

if theres a worse shower than the Black and Tans, its the shower above in Chapter House

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Shazelle

Hi All,
    I submitted my questionnaire and aptitude tests (for the 1st stage) yesterday. Obviously I can't share or comment on the content or format, but I'm really concerned that I didn't get to complete the aptitude tests or answer all questions. Did anyone else find that time was an issue? Does anyone know what weightings are put against the different sections at this stage?

• Advertisement

Shazelle wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I submitted my questionnaire and aptitude tests (for the 1st stage) yesterday. Obviously I can't share or comment on the content or format, but I'm really concerned that I didn't get to complete the aptitude tests or answer all questions. Did anyone else find that time was an issue? Does anyone know what weightings are put against the different sections at this stage?

The familiarisation material said that you might not answer all questions.

How many did you answer?

Once you get enough right you'll pass.

No one knows how many you need to pass, and everyone is nervous about how they did.

There's no point worrying though because it's over.

Time was an issue for the majority I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

Hi All,
    I just did mine today. I felt very pushed for time, especially on the discovering rules test.
    Regarding the assessment questionnaire ( the non-timed one), I am now going over some of the questions in my head and cursing my answers! Particularly the scenarios, I really wish I had spent longer choosing my answers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Don't dwell on the test now, its over and you did your best so leave it at that and just trust that what's meant to happen will happen. If its for you it wont pass you by!!:).

Thanks for the responses. I do realise that they don't expect everyone to complete all questions in the given time. I'm just more annoyed with myself for not doing better. I'd tried the sample ones online and also did a Garda preparation course which had lots of examples to run through. I'd finished all of my practice runs in the designated time, but left almost 20% unanswered in the real test!

I'm happy to wait and see now. Like you said, what's for us won't pass us. I was merely venting earlier at the frustration and annoyance as it was fresh in my mind.

Best of luck to anyone else at the same stage. :-)

Thanks for the responses. I do realise that they don't expect everyone to complete all questions in the given time. I'm just more annoyed with myself for not doing better. I'd tried the sample ones online and also did a Garda preparation course which had lots of examples to run through. I'd finished all of my practice runs in the designated time, but left almost 20% unanswered in the real test!

I'm happy to wait and see now. Like you said, what's for us won't pass us. I was merely venting earlier at the frustration and annoyance as it was fresh in my mind.

Best of luck to you too.

I know what you mean about the frustration, I'm still going over my answers in my head. I'm terrible for exam post-mortems though, always got told off by my friends for it in school and college. I wish I could nit pick every detail of the aptitude test and assessment with other people, I know that's not allowed but it's driving me nuts!
    I left 3 of the abstract reasoning ones unanswered, I found some of them very tricky. I guessed a few of them too. Fingers crossed the negative marking is no more than -0.33.

Best of luck to you too.

I know what you mean about the frustration, I'm still going over my answers in my head. I'm terrible for exam post-mortems though, always got told off by my friends for it in school and college. I wish I could nit pick every detail of the aptitude test and assessment with other people, I know that's not allowed but it's driving me nuts!
    I left 3 of the abstract reasoning ones unanswered, I found some of them very tricky. I guessed a few of them too. Fingers crossed the negative marking is no more than -0.33.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Sorry if I missed this info somewhere obvious but were we given a date to expect results? Some time in February I think one email said?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DarrenGT4

hi have the educational requirnments increased? I have four passes at ordinary level and a B1 at foundation level Irish. Can I still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

DarrenGT4 wrote: »
    hi have the educational requirnments increased? I have four passes at ordinary level and a B1 at foundation level Irish. Can I still apply?

Yes requirements have changed but the applications are no longer being accepted its closed for this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Hi Darren unfortunately applications are no longer being accepted the window closed on the 8th of jan.
    Can I ask you what attracts you to a career in an Garda siochana.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DarrenGT4

D Trent wrote: »
    Hi Darren unfortunately applications are no longer being accepted the window closed on the 8th of jan.
    Can I ask you what attracts you to a career in an Garda siochana.

Hi sorry I have already applied, I should have said. I have always had great interest since 2008. I went back to sit my Leaving cert in 2008 but iv only got foundation level Irish as that was acceptable. Since then iv become a fully qualified airline pilot. Since I hav'nt got a airline job yet, I decided to apply as the opportunity came up.

Would being quailifed pilot benefit me anyway in the educational requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

If you don't meet what they ask for i don't think it would help !
    Pity it's not the Aer Corps that you have applied to ! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Hi sorry I have already applied, I should have said. I have always had great interest since 2008. I went back to sit my Leaving cert in 2008 but iv only got foundation level Irish as that was acceptable. Since then iv become a fully qualified airline pilot. Since I hav'nt got a airline job yet, I decided to apply as the opportunity came up.

Well done on getting the pilot qualification!

Ring HQ and ask about the edu,
    At least you ll get an answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If not, you should deffo apply to join the LAPD in the 1980's.
    It'd be AGS's loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Unfortunately you need a minimum of 5 passes at ordinary level.

Hi there, While your leaving cert results don't quite qualify, you're certainly right to apply as your Pilot qualification may be sufficient. See FAQ re educational requirements A (iii) of the following link.

http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx?FAQCategory=13

You should also bear in mind that it is a prerequisite to have two languages at Leaving Cert level or above. Hopefully two of the four subjects which you passed at ordinary level were languages!?

This will be looked at in more detail if you pass the initial stages though. Best of luck. Follow your instinct and go for it. You've got as much chance as I have. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭comfortseeker

Hi guys has anyone heard back from the first round assessment we done a few weeks ago or know when we should hear back? Thanks

Hi guys has anyone heard back from the first round assessment we done a few weeks ago or know when we should hear back? Thanks

You'll know by Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 C2012

How do you know its Wednesday, I thought it was by the end of the month.

• Advertisement

C2012 wrote: »
    How do you know its Wednesday, I thought it was by the end of the month.

Take a look at the public jobs website homepage no need to log into your account even

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanog84

Just out of curiosity, how many out of the supposed 25k people that applied will be put through to stage 2, roughly??

seanog84 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how many out of the supposed 25k people that applied will be put through to stage 2, roughly??

Nobody knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

seanog84 wrote: »

I would suspect a massive swathe

50% plus to be cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Round 15k to next stage would be my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

No open applications in my publicjobs account...writing on the wall anyway!

• Advertisement

rocky911 wrote: »
    No open applications in my publicjobs account...writing on the wall anyway!

How do you mean, applications have closed?

Before I had open applications in my applications tab and the messages were in that tab and now I have nada! zilch

Before I had open applications in my applications tab and the messages were in that tab and now I have nada! zilch

Nobody has an open aplication for garda campaign anymore as it's no longer open, your messages should be in 'my messages'

Ya the messages arent there either it says that there is no applications open at all..or any for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 C2012

Ya the messages arent there either it says that there is no applications open at all..or any for that matter

Rocky911…did you log out and try again, it might just be a system error:)

• Advertisement

THANK YOU! just did it...was nearlly in tears hah

best of luck to everyone for tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Is it just me, or is the public jobs website currently down??

Working for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Flynners89

Good luck to everyone tomorow . Fingers Crossed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Flynners89 wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone tomorow . Fingers Crossed :)

Agus tusa

• Registered Users Posts: 25 carrig4life

I only just saw this thread I'm nervous now...

Anyone get any notification yet?! The suspense is killing me here I'm checking emails every 5 minutes :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

I got mine, just letting yas know.
    I didn't think I did very good and I didn't .
    Qualified in band 3.
    What's the next round anyway,only band 1 gets through

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

newuser89 wrote: »
    I got mine, just letting yas know.
    I didn't think I did very good and I didn't .
    Qualified in band 3.
    What's the next round anyway,only band 1 gets through

It's better than not pass, like half the people who didn't..... So keep your head well done

• Advertisement
Advertisement