Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2014 info

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

dkg93 wrote: »
    a few good few that graduated were children and relatives of people in high places, graduating from the reserve the day recruitment is announced?? I wont mention any names of some of those people but theres no way thats a coincidence. These people know these things such as when recruitment will be announced. For example I know a fella who got a letter to go to templemore for the last class that was taken in, he then got a phone call not long after to tell him that his place was gone, no doubt squeezed out by someone looking after their family or friends.

Things have always been that way. it's just now things are so tight and every position counts we all have a problem with it.

I never really thought that many politicians children would be that intrested in the garda considering it's quite a dangerous and low paid job.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

carzony wrote: »
    Things have always been that way. it's just now things are so tight and every position counts we all have a problem with it.

I never really thought that many politicians children would be that intrested in the garda considering it's quite a dangerous and low paid job.
    I guess they could use it as a stepping stone. Alot of the time, it's sons and daughters that get pull. Of course, not from their own father, from someone else on the force. It would be stupid to leave an obvious trail. It's like with the penalty points fiasco. There were a few guards that allowed it to be traced back to them. The obvious way to get around that was to get onto your buddy that's in another district, you sort his guys out and he'll sort you out. Then there's no obvious connection.

There will be positions available for anyone to get but realistically there are a certain number of seats already filled in templemore, thank god for aptitude tests, otherwise there would be no seats available, a certain number of "the boys" will get through the tests tho and will not have to worry about the interview.

that's if they had to do any tests atall.. or maybe i'm just getting to paranoid at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dkg93

its politicians and high ranking members of the guards. Not a bad number to be in, especially if they have a good chance of career progression based on who they know.

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I guess they could use it as a stepping stone. Alot of the time, it's sons and daughters that get pull. Of course, not from their own father, from someone else on the force. It would be stupid to leave an obvious trail. It's like with the penalty points fiasco. There were a few guards that allowed it to be traced back to them. The obvious way to get around that was to get onto your buddy that's in another district, you sort his guys out and he'll sort you out. Then there's no obvious connection.

stepping stone? surely if there that connected they'd get to where they wanna go without having to go through all this...

that's if they had to do any tests atall.. or maybe i'm just getting to paranoid at this stage...
    I'd say they had to do the same tests as us, because PAS are a different organization. It would be hard to see alot of people have influence over PAS. Of course, it is possible that some got other people to sit their tests from them. It has been suggested on here that Stage 3 will be random, i.e. 1 in 3 will be asked to do the assessment centre to verify test scores. That would open up opportunities for abuse. But it would be hard to get around all those stumbling blocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

its politicians and high ranking members of the guards. Not a bad number to be in, especially if they have a good chance of career progression based on who they know.

Yeah and all ranks awarded above sergeant I believe have political input?

Is that correct?

stepping stone? surely if there that connected they'd get to where they wanna go without having to go through all this...
    It's still a good job lads. It's secure if you behave yourself. Maybe the pay is a bit low at the start but we all want to do it. Maybe that's why politicians and guards want their family to get in.

I'd say they had to do the same tests as us, because PAS are a different organization. It would be hard to see alot of people have influence over PAS. Of course, it is possible that some got other people to sit their tests from them. It has been suggested on here that Stage 3 will be random, i.e. 1 in 3 will be asked to do the assessment centre to verify test scores. That would open up opportunities for abuse. But it would be hard to get around all those stumbling blocks.
    Not evryone with pull will get through I know the relative of an A.C. that didnt pass stage one, but those that do are sorted for interview.

• Advertisement

Not evryone with pull will get through I know the relative of an A.C. that didnt pass stage one, but those that do are sorted for interview.
    I think it's interview stage when pull becomes a big factor

redout wrote: »
    Yeah and all ranks awarded above sergeant I believe have political input?

Is that correct?
    What do you mean by political input? But all ranks above sergeant are more politicians than guards. Well not all of them.

It's still a good job lads. It's secure if you behave yourself. Maybe the pay is a bit low at the start but we all want to do it. Maybe that's why politicians and guards want their family to get in.

As long as the competition was fair. I don't see a problem but not a chance of that in Ireland is there......

I happen to know the majority of the detectives in my local station have family connections. They all seem to be in their ealy 20's. However, they are all good at their jobs and have recovered a huge amount of drugs, weapons ect...

As long as the competition was fair. I don't see a problem but not a chance of that in Ireland is there......

I happen to know the majority of the detectives in my local station have family connections. They all seem to be in their ealy 20's. However, they are all good at their jobs and have recovered a huge amount of drugs, weapons ect...
    I don't think Ireland is any better or worse than other countries but we hear about it more. If you listen to BBC news you'll hear about it in Britain too and so on. It's there, it's another hurdle

What do you mean by political input? But all ranks above sergeant are more politicians than guards. Well not all of them.

I mean that all positions above the rank of sergeant are subject to government input of some sort, not just solely AGS. That is what I heard, not sure how accurate that is though. That is why I was asking.

redout wrote: »
    I mean that all positions above the rank of sergeant are subject to government input of some sort, not just solely AGS. That is what I heard, not sure how accurate that is though. That is why I was asking.
    I dont know to be honest, never heard anything like that but worth asking about.

• Advertisement

I dont know to be honest, never heard anything like that but worth asking about.

Be very wrong if that was the case. I believe the superintedent has a lot to do with politicians and corporations ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Everything from superintendent up are appointed by the minister for justice and not ags so yes ye are right it's who you know from there up!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭OscarWhiskey

I dont think 'pull' will have a huge impact on this campaign. I know everyone and their dog mentions it but I'd like to believe that its a thing of the past, associated with accelerated recruitment of the 2000's. There would have been a lot of room for it in past recruitments due to the panic to get numbers in. Maybe I'm being naive but I cant see anyone getting to Templemore who hasn't deserved it, from a PAS persons's perspective.

Saying this, the day recruitment was announced and they showed the GR graduation on the 6.01 news I laughed...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 buckinit

Like many other public bodies in Ireland, and throughout the world also, there will be some degree of nepotism. I assumed this from day one when I decided I join AGS.

Of course, not all candidates who apply will have a history of relatives in the force but many of whom will. Of the many gardai I know as friends they all have one or two family members part of the force.

I just don't think there's as much room for pull/nepotism this time round as there was before.

• Advertisement

REMOVED!

Just looking on Facebook there, GIS are offering a prep course for stage 3 they say there are shl tests involved, what's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

thekopend wrote: »
    Just looking on Facebook there, GIS are offering a prep course for stage 3 they say there are shl tests involved, what's this?

Same as last tests. Shl is the company

Stage 3 is suppose to confirm your stage 2 results under supervision. Considering that stage 2 were SHL tests then it should not come as a surprise that stage 3 will also be very similar SHL tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Shl is the company who provided the online aptitude tests we completed, I'm guessing that they also provide paper aptitude tests too!

Oh ya. Well lads if you make it to stage 3 you have no problem with the test as it will be just about getting the same results. Don't think anyone will be cut at stage 3 and all will be offered an interview. Provided you don't do a lot worse than b4. I'd bet it will be the exact same test. Pointless course hunting for money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Oh ya. Well lads if you make it to stage 3 you have no problem with the test as it will be just about getting the same results. Don't think anyone will be cut at stage 3 and all will be offered an interview. Provided you don't do a lot worse than b4. I'd bet it will be the exact same test. Pointless course hunting for money again.

You hit the nail on the head there, stage 3 is only to cut out cheaters and think it will have to be a ridiculous change in scores for one to be thrown out

thestar wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head there, stage 3 is only to cut out cheaters and think it will have to be a ridiculous change in scores for one to be thrown out

Well if it is the exact same test and you got good in it before( obviously when you got to stage 3) I'd say try to pick the exact answers as before. If it's the exact same I don't think being anything more Than 20% less will be aloud. If you think about it unless they are strict well then it won't be effective in cutting cheaters. I could get someone better than me to do stage 2 and this gets me to stage 3, if I get near enough to his then I'm through. You have to think of it that way. I'd say it will be tight enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

This night last week I did the test and my head is already wrecked waiting for the results. Im busy with work and other issues these weeks but those results keep popping up in my mind even though I am trying to forget about them:). Where are the Interview's done btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Aiel wrote: »
    This night last week I did the test and my head is already wrecked waiting for the results. Im busy with work and other issues these weeks but those results keep popping up in my mind even though I am trying to forget about them:). Where are the Interview's done btw?

Chapter house , abbey st, dublin

• Advertisement

So all we have to do is answer the questions to an mediocre standard in the supervised exam to prove we are who we say we are? (provided I get to stage 3)

Was this sent out in an e-mail?

buckinit wrote: »
    So all we have to do is answer the questions to an mediocre standard in the supervised exam to prove we are who we say we are? (provided I get to stage 3)

Was this sent out in an e-mail?
    No one said that. He's just making the point that your results in the supervised test have to be broadly similar. If there's a significant difference then it will call into question your earlier Stage 1 and Stage 2 results. For instance, if you got 69% in Stage 1, 67% in Stage 2 and 70% at Stage 3, it would probably cover you. I'm sure even a 5% difference would be allowed. But wild swings or significant differences will attract negative attention.

No one said that. He's just making the point that your results in the supervised test have to be broadly similar. If there's a significant difference then it will call into question your earlier Stage 1 and Stage 2 results. For instance, if you got 69% in Stage 1, 67% in Stage 2 and 70% at Stage 3, it would probably cover you. I'm sure even a 5% difference would be allowed. But wild swings or significant differences will attract negative attention.

That would make sense.

However, i'll still have it in my head to do my best, even if that means a jump from 60% in the first and second stage to 98% in stage 3 (optimistic, i know!!)

After all, it is another dreaded test! A pass and fail mark exist there somewhere!

buckinit wrote: »
    That would make sense.

However, i'll still have it in my head to do my best, even if that means a jump from 60% in the first and second stage to 98% in stage 3 (optimistic, i know!!)

After all, it is another dreaded test! A pass and fail mark exist there somewhere!
    I think everyone should try to do their best at Stage 3. At the moment everyone thinks that Stage 3 is just to verify your performance. But there would be nothing to stop PAS verifying results and at the same time cutting the numbers again before the interview stage. I don't think anyone should relax if they get through Stage 2 or take their foot off the pedal. I think you should keep trying your best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

God, some of the nonsense in here: There is no way in hell it will be the same test as the last.

God, some of the nonsense in here: There is no way in hell it will be the same test as the last.
    Don't be so sure. It's called a double bluff. It won't matter anyway. No one knows for sure what's going to happen. So, the best thing to do is to prepare as much as possible and as best you can if you get to Stage 3

This whole forum should be condensed into one thread called the speculation and pure bull**** thread

Devil08 wrote: »
    This whole forum should be condensed into one thread called the speculation and pure bull**** thread
    There's a vacuum at the moment. And a vacuum has to be filled with something. Just like the summer when the dáil is on holidays, the news goes very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RonBurgundy73

Devil08 wrote: »

I haven't been keeping up with any of these threads nearly as much as I used to, purely for this reason. They all seem to be going around in circles and every quote is being analysed to death.

Obviously speculation is all that there is really at the minute, but the one thing I would say about it is, how many people correctly speculated that stage one was going to cut the 25k applicants down to 5k in the first round? I don't think anyone saw that coming. Everything here needs to be taken with a pinch of salt I think because simply no one knows whats next for any of the bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

I haven't been keeping up with any of these threads nearly as much as I used to, purely for this reason. They all seem to be going around in circles and every quote is being analysed to death.

i lost all faith when a poster started a thread asking

'would a law degree be of benefit to being a Garda'

:rolleyes:

well then don't use the forum lads... Your all still reading the ''shi,t'' though aren't ya..

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

I'd say this is one of the most READ websites in recent weeks by all bands!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

mycro89 wrote: »
    I'd say this is one of the most READ websites in recent weeks by all bands!!

Is there an alternative?

well then don't use the forum lads... Your all still reading the ''shi,t'' though aren't ya..

Yes, were scrolling through it hoping someone has something relevant and useful to say. Like finding a needle in a hay stack.
    All I'm seeing is stupid statistics, numbers, estimations, all rubbish with nothing to back them up.
    Also my favourite one, a friend who is a nephew of a super told me....
    Lots of them on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Report off topic posts with thereport.gif button then. As long as posts are to do with garda recruitment in some shape or form, i don't think the mods care! :p

(Moderator) Shield says: Ouch!

• Advertisement

it would appear that the results for stage 2 wont be out this week. Had a feeling they'd be out Wednesday. More waiting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

it would appear that the results for stage 2 wont be out this week. Had a feeling they'd be out Wednesday. More waiting..

How dya know?

It will be posted on PJ a few days before hand so if it's not on PJ don't expect to get an email out of the blue, won't be this week anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

It will be posted on PJ a few days before hand so if it's not on PJ don't expect to get an email out of the blue, won't be this week anyway

Did PJs say that to you or are you going on precedent of stage 1 results ?

Going by stage one

• Advertisement
Advertisement