Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2014 info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Maybe it wasn't a waste of time joining the reserve after all..

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-11-05a.1761&s=garda+recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Same answer that has been given since recruitment has been announced I wouldn't take anything too serious till they make proper official announcements about what is happening. Nothing mite become of all that talk.

First time I have seen anything in relation to reserves achievements being recognised, sorry I didnt join now. They are definitely going to have an advantage in the application process somewhere along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

thestar wrote: »
    First time I have seen anything in relation to reserves achievements being recognised, sorry I didnt join now. They are definitely going to have an advantage in the application process somewhere along the way

Is there anyway that we can get a definate answer on the topic, or are we just going to have to wait until the day that they sit down and say yes today is the day?

No but the link I posted above is the biggest indication yet that there will be changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Can't really argue with reserves having an advantage in the recruitment process, it's common sense really.

They will have an advantage when it comes to interview scenarios anyway but I didn't actually think that there application would be different. Its going to be interesting to see what the leeway they are given. I do hope that it is mainly reserves that are recruited because when most people and even the guards themselves criticized an organisation, they went and joined it. Could anybody get me figures on the amount of reserves in this country? I thought my law degree would set me apart from the crowd but it looks like they will be looking for people who have put themselves as close to the job as possible. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

They will have an advantage when it comes to interview scenarios anyway but I didn't actually think that there application would be different. Its going to be interesting to see what the leeway they are given. I do hope that it is mainly reserves that are recruited because when most people and even the guards themselves criticized an organisation, they went and joined it. Could anybody get me figures on the amount of reserves in this country? I thought my law degree would set me apart from the crowd but it looks like they will be looking for people who have put themselves as close to the job as possible. :(

A law degree would be a major advantage I presume. I think once you can give a reason why you wouldn't / couldn't join the reserves you be ok.

I have a friend who is in the army for 9 years and is applying. He obviously couldn't join the reserves.

I may not even bother applying to be honest when I actually think about it. I have no reserve experience and know nobody for 'pull' either so I'm in bother. I actually don't think anyone can say they didn't have time, its four hours a week which is very little

• Advertisement

I may not even bother applying to be honest when I actually think about it. I have no reserve experience and know nobody for 'pull' either so I'm in bother. I actually don't think anyone can say they didn't have time, its four hours a week which is very little

Well if you don't apply you have no chance... apply, what's the worst that can happen?

It's mostly reserves saying you don't have a hope if you're not a reserve.

You can say you spent your time studying, you were doing a bit of travel (before you apply to get it out of the way etc.), you were already involved in other organisations...

I think apply if you want to do it. You may regret it otherwise. Good luck

Nothing ventured noting gained, what's the worst that can happen?, if the interview goes well and your able to tell them the things they want to hear then anyone has a good chance. Of course a good aptitude will have to be done but that just takes preperation. At leased if you go for it you will never turn around in the future and be kicking yourself for not doing it :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 therealdeal23

apply anyway nothing to lose.pull will be king in this campaign though six years since last recruitment and this campaign albeit small will probably be looking for more people then campaigns over the next few years so it may represet the best chance to get in for the next 5 years.the senior gardai that attend reserve graduations are the same ones that are gonna screw them over when there's recruitment.

I often wonder when I hear people on about pull. Suppose they take on 400, then I would expect that 150(at most) are going to people that are well connected. Its hardly that bad that any more get in for that reason?

I often wonder when I hear people on about pull. Suppose they take on 400, then I would expect that 150(at most) are going to people that are well connected. Its hardly that bad that any more get in for that reason?

That's what it was like in the boom when not as much where aplying, 10,000 apply for 400 places nd 150 get in purely on pull. Now I'd say it's a case of 30,000 apply for 400 places and 350 have pull. The more people applying the bigger chance of more people with 'pull'.

Well I know of one person who will get in that way and its not me unfortunately,no-one will know the exact number but I think it will be a big number..whatever number they take on I bet in next campaign it will be only half that number or less so people in a position of influence will be doing their upmost to look after those closest to them in this camapign.Just ask Enda Kenny who got his mate a job as special advisor in Richard Bruton's dept and broke the cap on his salary despite Howlin saying he shouldnt.Some people say it doesn't happen but thats crazy happens in every workplace imo unless the job is for a heart surgeon etc..ask anyone looking for a teaching job they will tell you its all pull and that's for a graduate job imagine what it'll be like for a job where you just need a basic education

• Advertisement

thekopend wrote: »
    That's what it was like in the boom when not as much where aplying, 10,000 apply for 400 places nd 150 get in purely on pull. Now I'd say it's a case of 30,000 apply for 400 places and 350 have pull. The more people applying the bigger chance of more people with 'pull'.

it'll be more than 30,000 applying everyday that number increases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Saying it's all pull is a cop out for many who don't think they will make it on merit, if you don't apply you have no chance. I saw loads who had plenty pull never get past the aptitude test and that was where it ended for them, if you are a good candidate and get past the aptitude test you will stand a great chance once the medical does not let you down!

Saying it's all pull is a cop out for many who don't think they will make it on merit, if you don't apply you have no chance. I saw loads who had plenty pull never get past the aptitude test and that was where it ended for them, if you are a good candidate and get past the aptitude test you will stand a great chance once the medical does not let you down!

I bet you had pull ;)

its not all pull but it will be mostly pull,I think,I dont know because we are in the worst recession since post war whereas recruitment camapigns in the 90's and noughties would have been fairer when economy was healthier.
    even if it was a 100% fair campaign there will be more top quality candidates than there are places unlike the nineties,noughties where alot joined straight from school with no college/work experience

Cd_doe wrote: »
    I bet you had pull ;)

Keep your money in your pocket!

• Advertisement

I would not consider myself a naive person but I just don't see it being as corrupt as people make out. As I said already, I know a certain amount of it goes on but I think you would have to know a very senior Garda for it to make any difference.

I would not consider myself a naive person but I just don't see it being as corrupt as people make out. As I said already, I know a certain amount of it goes on but I think you would have to know a very senior Garda for it to make any difference.

Interview boards are made up of civilians as well as senior gardai and it will be pretty obvious in some cases if it's happening and with 3 or 4 on a board even a well connected donkey will find it very hard to use pull

I argued that very point with somebody before and was told that the boards decision may not be final at all and that names are put up lists when interviews are over and done with.

I know for a fact that from interview stage on it can be as easy as a phone call to the right person. I know of a person who had failed the interview twice and then a phone call was made. The next interview was a lot more straight forward and didn't take as long, got through no bother and is a member now.

yep and when that pull is used a person who genuinely passed the interview is taken off the successful list to make room

It's ****e isn't it, shur we will give it a whip anyway.

Who will make the announcement in relation to the recruitment drive?? The minister? The commissioner? Or the media?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

mycro89 wrote: »
    Who will make the announcement in relation to the recruitment drive?? The minister? The commissioner? Or the media?

Politician of course. The normal use of the Gardai for political purposes

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Politician of course. The normal use of the Gardai for political purposes

Very good! Thanks for that! I wonder has it been mentioned in the dail since budget day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

What are the chances of a 34 year old married mother getting in though. I am not nor have been in the reserves, I have no degree either and haven't worked in a long time, have been a stay at home mother of 3. Should I even apply considering that there are lots of experienced garda reserves applying and people with degrees?
    I do however have a first cousin who is a garda inspector but I doubt that makes a difference. I have always wanted to be a garda but life and family took over but now I feel it's the right time to apply and I'm 34 so it's my one and only chance.

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    What are the chances of a 34 year old married mother getting in though. I am not nor have been in the reserves, I have no degree either and haven't worked in a long time, have been a stay at home mother of 3. Should I even apply considering that there are lots of experienced garda reserves applying and people with degrees?
    I do however have a first cousin who is a garda inspector but I doubt that makes a difference. I have always wanted to be a garda but life and family took over but now I feel it's the right time to apply and I'm 34 so it's my one and only chance.

Sure give it a go anyway. If you're not in you can't win.

You may do very well in the aptitude test. You don't need a degree or to be a reserve to join.

And as for the question that you asked ; what are the chances of you getting in? I don't think anybody online can answer this for you

If you don't apply now you may regret it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭jadun

A degree will make a difference, be stupid to think otherwise

Cd_doe wrote: »
    Sure give it a go anyway. If you're not in you can't win.

You may do very well in the aptitude test. You don't need a degree or to be a reserve to join.

And as for the question that you asked ; what are the chances of you getting in? I don't think anybody online can answer this for you

If you don't apply now you may regret it

C'mon now lets put a bit of realism in to this question and stop giving false hope. The chance of a 34 year old being accepted for a full time position as Garda is so low as to be nil in a competition where there will be thousands of applications. However this does not rule out her opportunity to make a good contribution through the Garda Reserve. As a mother of three, 34 years of age she will have enough experience of life's ups and downs to bring a balanced and sensible approach to police work and I think that this would be her best option.
    I have no doubt that some posters will think that this answer is harsh but it would be harsher to give hope where there is little hope

C'mon now lets put a bit of realism in to this question and stop giving false hope. The chance of a 34 year old being accepted for a full time position as Garda is so low as to be nil in a competition where there will be thousands of applications. However this does not rule out her opportunity to make a good contribution through the Garda Reserve. As a mother of three, 34 years of age she will have enough experience of life's ups and downs to bring a balanced and sensible approach to police work and I think that this would be her best option.
    I have no doubt that some posters will think that this answer is harsh but it would be harsher to give hope where there is little hope

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

The competition is wide open to 18-35 yr olds. Saying a 34 yr old has no chance without knowing anything about Lukemom is totally ridiculous and goes against the spirit if this forum.

Lukemom, when I was in the college 7 yrs ago the average age was about 27/28 yrs old. I joined when I was 30. I applied without any college degree but my strong points were good life experience and a work hard etiquette. A good dose of common sense displayed at interview stage is what they are looking for. I will admit i am not very academic but I am a quick learner and a hard worker. Some people will tell you college is the be all and end all but it isn't.

My advice for you Lukesmom is go for it and give it everything you have got.

What's all this "spirit of the forum" talk.

There will be no shortage of applicants who will tick all the boxes . Do you seriously believe that an interview board, who makes the final decision, will recruit someone who is a matter of months away from being in excess of the upper age limit? If you were on the interview board would you give them the position over an equally suitable candidate who was 10 years younger? And if someone pops up to say that I'm being ageist well then I am being ageist.
    I want to see young fit police officers on the street who are 100 % focused on their job. And if the truth was spoken those who introduced the upper age limit of 35 want the same. The upper age of 35 was just brought in to comply with the regulations in the PSNI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭robo008

Dont know where you got that info.... As far as I know there is no upper age for psni http://www.psni.police.uk/eqia_recruitment_executive_summary.pdf. This shows that 30 to 34 year olds were more likely to be recruited!

There will be no shortage of applicants who will tick all the boxes . Do you seriously believe that an interview board, who makes the final decision, will recruit someone who is a matter of months away from being in excess of the upper age limit? If you were on the interview board would you give them the position over an equally suitable candidate who was 10 years younger? And if someone pops up to say that I'm being ageist well then I am being ageist.
    I want to see young fit police officers on the street who are 100 % focused on their job. And if the truth was spoken those who introduced the upper age limit of 35 want the same. The upper age of 35 was just brought in to comply with the regulations in the PSNI

It's not about what you would like to see on the streets, it's about taking on the best people for the job. Candidates of different ages bring together a different mix of skills and life experiences.

It's all about the young bull vs the old bull

I've seen people close to 35 getting in.
    She can't be ruled out just because she is near the upper age limit. She's still within the age limit.

I still think give it a go.

• Advertisement

yep and when that pull is used a person who genuinely passed the interview is taken off the successful list to make room

But surely canvassing will disqualify

But surely canvassing will disqualify

You surley don't know how things work. It's supposedly a disqualification, if the wrong people find out about it, other than that it happens, in the gards and practical any other government controled bodie. That's just the way it has always been. That's what we are up againsed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

from a financial point of view recruiting older people makes sense. Less pension to pay. You'd only have 25 years assuming you stay till 60.

everyone had equal chance in the aptitude and then it's up to your interview/common sense/possible pull if that's the way it works after that

I'm still gonna go for it and give it my all. I just turned 34 two days ago. I've nothing to lose.

numorouno wrote: »
    from a financial point of view recruiting older people makes sense. Less pension to pay. You'd only have 25 years assuming you stay till 60.

It wouldn't be less pension to pay. I'm pretty sure 60 is still the age of retirement so would mean Lukesmom would have to buy 4 yrs pension to make up the 30 yrs. I'm in a similar boat in having to buy 1 yr at some stage

I'm still gonna go for it and give it my all. I just turned 34 two days ago. I've nothing to lose.

+1

If you put in the preparation you will do well

• Advertisement

numorouno wrote: »

everyone had equal chance in the aptitude and then it's up to your interview/common sense/possible pull if that's the way it works after that

The other side to this is that if younger people join they will get more years out of them before they will have to pay to train/recruit someone to replace them. There is not much difference what age you are.

thekopend wrote: »
    You surley don't know how things work. It's supposedly a disqualification, if the wrong people find out about it, other than that it happens, in the gards and practical any other government controled bodie. That's just the way it has always been. That's what we are up againsed!
    Are you inferring that people use pull to get Government positions? Surely that wouldn't happen. I am shocked.

Best of luck!

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Two lads on my unit joined just before their 35 birthday and one of those was promoted to Sgt last year so you go for it and the best of luck

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

More rubbish from this poster lots people join at this age in fact there is a serving super who joined at 33 after leaving his job as an engineer

• Advertisement
Advertisement