Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2014 info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

where do you get an application form and where do they train if your accepted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

where do you get an application form and where do they train if your accepted

i think google knows.....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

lol thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

To be a Garda, or not to be ... that is the question :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Raider190 wrote: »
    More rubbish from this poster lots people join at this age in fact there is a serving super who joined at 33 after leaving his job as an engineer

Do us all a favour raider and just stop replying to him. If everyone only replies to legitimate posts the nonsence posts will eventually stop. Don't keep them goin all they want is for you to reply. Everyone knows this by now. Look past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

How would there be a super if the age limit was only increased 7/8 years ago?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

thekopend wrote: »
    Do us all a favour raider and just stop replying to him. If everyone only replies to legitimate posts the nonsence posts will eventually stop. Don't keep them goin all they want is for you to reply. Everyone knows this by now. Look past it.

Can you name this person. Garda Officer appointments are a matter of public record so there is no legal difficulty in naming

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

numorouno wrote: »
    How would there be a super if the age limit was only increased 7/8 years ago?

Sorry your quite right checked my facts he is cig not a super

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Sorry your quite right checked my facts he is cig not a super

This is more of the inaccuracies you have been posting. Please be sure of your facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Why is there so much bickering here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Emer29

From reading the comments in this thread people who are getting involved in this pointless bickering are not showing good example. They are not showing qualities new garda recruits should have. Stop nitpicking and stay focused on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

Emer29 wrote: »
    From reading the comments in this thread people who are getting involved in this pointless bickering are not showing good example. They are not showing qualities new garda recruits should have. Stop nitpicking and stay focused on the topic.

Welcome to the reality of this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

thestar wrote: »
    I may not even bother applying to be honest when I actually think about it. I have no reserve experience and know nobody for 'pull' either so I'm in bother. I actually don't think anyone can say they didn't have time, its four hours a week which is very little
    Hey you lose nothing by trying. Reserve expierence is good shows you what the job is like, however isnt a requirement? Whats the harm in trying out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    C'mon now lets put a bit of realism in to this question and stop giving false hope. The chance of a 34 year old being accepted for a full time position as Garda is so low as to be nil in a competition where there will be thousands of applications. However this does not rule out her opportunity to make a good contribution through the Garda Reserve. As a mother of three, 34 years of age she will have enough experience of life's ups and downs to bring a balanced and sensible approach to police work and I think that this would be her best option.
    I have no doubt that some posters will think that this answer is harsh but it would be harsher to give hope where there is little hope
    Your joking?? She has a better chance with life experience and all that. I say anyone that wants it go for it. Your not losing anything by trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

More rubbish from this poster lots people join at this age in fact there is a serving super who joined at 33 after leaving his job as an engineer

Who is the Cig? Would love to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

TheNog wrote: »
    Who is the Cig? Would love to know

Might be the cig in love/hate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Might be the cig in love/hate!!!

AKA "gaffer" ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Is there some talk in the oireachtas tomorrow in relation to the gardai??

mycro89 wrote: »
    Is there some talk in the oireachtas tomorrow in relation to the gardai??

Not sure. What makes you say this ?

• Advertisement

just an article from yesterday where recruitment was mentioned. http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=3020&l=100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

1st week in December just on the news today fm ads to be in news paper

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brianscotch

Thinking about applying.

Does anyone know if an Hons degree supersedes the Leaving Cert entry requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Section_4

Thinking about applying.

Does anyone know if an Hons degree supersedes the Leaving Cert entry requirements?

If you were to go by previous recruitment requirements you required, regardless of any other educational achievements attained, the Irish leaving certificate or a recognised equivalent (i.e. the A levels from the UK).

You could not use a level 7/8/9/10 degree in lieu of this entry requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Section_4 wrote: »
    If you were to go by previous recruitment requirements you required, regardless of any other educational achievements attained, the Irish leaving certificate or a recognised equivalent (i.e. the A levels from the UK).

You could not use a level 7/8/9/10 degree in lieu of this entry requirement.

I would be very surprised if this was the case. Or equivalent means level 5. A level 7 will supercede this.

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if this was the case. Or equivalent means level 5. A level 7 will supercede this.

No level five can bee seen as an equivalent to the leaving certificate. they are not compatible with eachother. That is why there was recommendations to change the requirements so that they are more compatible with the national education framework which the leaving cert isn't. I quote a post I made weeks back on the subject

'On the education ladder a fetac level 5 is an equivalent to the leaving in the sence that u can progress to level six ( higher cert in college after 2 years), but leaving cert is a a broader more extensive form of education than a fetac 5. A fetac only focuses on one subject which allows you to continue to that area in college whereas a leaving certificate (subject to points) allows you to progress to any course. In that sence when weighed together a fetac 5 in lets say social care cannot possibly be equivalent to the leaving. In my opinion it will not be seen as an equivalent in the requirements for the guards. Unless u have a bunch of fetac 5's in all the subjects stated (maths two languages ect) because essentially all the leaving cert is is a buch of fetac 5's in different subjects. Does that clear it up. Sure give it a go but I'd be very surprised if it would be sufficient.'

MouseTail wrote: »

It was and quite likely will be the case. The Public Appointments service look for a basic standard and set the bar at leaving certificate level. They do not supersede the general entry requirements for individual circumstances nor do they take into account alternative/ superior qualifications.

You can have multiple academic and vocational qualifications, and the more power to those that do come an interview, but as observed in all of the most recent campaigns if you did not hold a leaving certificate or equivalent (ie A levels etc) you were not eligible to apply.

If your still unsure contact Garda HRM or wait until the new entry requirements are outlined alongside the opening of recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

You need a basic Leaving Cert but won't accept anything higher that's a bit mad. Myself left school after junior but fully qualified spark with 12 years full-time work experience but won't be able apply, ridiculous. Myself nd a friend with a similar background were only talking last night about maybe applying but won't be able now.
    Also have a sister who recently graduated with a honours degree in HR but doesn't have two languages so she isn't good enough either, ridiculous. IMO we all good hardworking level headed mature people who would be good additions. Ah well, how are they going to get a few minorities in without descriminating against Irish people on the education standard front.

You need a basic Leaving Cert but won't accept anything higher that's a bit mad. Myself left school after junior but fully qualified spark with 12 years full-time work experience but won't be able apply, ridiculous. Myself nd a friend with a similar background were only talking last night about maybe applying but won't be able now.
    Also have a sister who recently graduated with a honours degree in HR but doesn't have two languages so she isn't good enough either, ridiculous. IMO we all good hardworking level headed mature people who would be good additions. Ah well, how are they going to get a few minorities in without descriminating against Irish people on the education standard front.

Minimum entry requirements are not discriminatory. If you want to peruse a career in AGS obtain whatever standards that are required of applicants; there has been plenty of time and opportunity for candidates to up-skill in any areas they were lacking in since the last recruitment campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I get what you are saying in your post but people need to calm down and wait and see what the requirements will actually be. I'm a reserve with a balls of a leaving cert Maths and Irish below requirement, but gonna see what this campaign has to offer, see whats needed, put in an application see where it fails and get whats needed. There will be another recruitment drive in a year or two plenty of time to sort out whats needed.

The flip side of the coin is people going out and doing courses all over the place in first aid, swimming, college courses etc. But no one knows if this will be required.

• Advertisement

Iv no sympathy for someone who doesn't have the requirements. A career in the gardai will be hard got nowadays. If people were serious about joining they would have got the requirements along time ago. It doesn't matter what degree people have, you could have a degree in so and so and be cat at basic English and spelling and so on. If you ask me there are people who never wanted to be gardai who are only jumping on the band wagon for the reason that they have no other job, and these are the people who realise they are falling short of the requirements having never bothered to get them because they never intended to join in the first place. The requirements will not go down in my opinion if anything they will go up. And by that I don't mean having a degree without the basic education first also known as the leaving certificate which is the capping of about 14 years of education, there is know way a degree or level five in accounting or heritage studies or whatever will match or superceed this. You can do level fives without ever going to school ffs! And then continue on and get a degree in that subject. The gards isn't all communication and people skills, there is a lot of paper work and difficult English involved. In my opinion the leaving certificate is an absolute essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 brianscotch

Well to get back on point a bit and away from level five in accounting or heritage studies.

I do not have a second language at LC level.

I do have a 1.1 hons science degree. I have been thinking of completing LC Irish are the entry requirement is quite low in that regard. I was just wondering did my hons degree supersede the LC, so I could apply hassle free. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭redno.3

Well to get back on point a bit and away from level five in accounting or heritage studies.

I do not have a second language at LC level.

I do have a 1.1 hons science degree. I have been thinking of completing LC Irish are the entry requirement is quite low in that regard. I was just wondering did my hons degree supersede the LC, so I could apply hassle free. Thanks

Section 4 , I'm looking for a bit of advice, do you think the requirements will be different this time?

redno.3 wrote: »
    Section 4 , I'm looking for a bit of advice, do you think the requirements will be different this time?

There was talk of some change but nobody knows for sure so the best thing is to sit tight and see when it goes live in a few weeks. And then possibly contact HQ or public appointments service. There is no other sure way of knowing.

There were recommended pre-selection requirements but as the same says "recommended". We won't know for sure if all of them or any will be put in place. They were;
    a) certification of ability to swim
    b) certification of first aid
    c) certification of manual handling
    d) holder of a full irish driving licence
    e) certified holder of a european computer driving licence (ECDL) (or higher information technology certification)
    f) have a minimum of 140 CAO points.

They were posted here a while ago somewhere, I remember seeing them but they are also available on the internet.

Apologies of this posts about a thousand times. I think my phone is dodgy :/

Just because a person as was said jumps on the "bandwagon" nd sends in an application just to see how it goes doesn't mean he/she would be any worse a garda then someone who has spent the last 5 years obsessing over it. Is that not what the training in templemore is for to get everybody up to standard.
    Everybody has different personalities and attributes that could be beneficial in different departments of the Garda. Just been browsing through this nd seems reserves look down on non reserves nd then people who have been after this for years are lookin down on people like me who might just send in an application when it comes up. Maybe if I got an interview the board might be impressed by the fact I won't have an ego nd go on like I know everything because was a reserve or have wanted to join police since childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Just because a person as was said jumps on the "bandwagon" nd sends in an application just to see how it goes doesn't mean he/she would be any worse a garda then someone who has spent the last 5 years obsessing over it. Is that not what the training in templemore is for to get everybody up to standard.
    Everybody has different personalities and attributes that could be beneficial in different departments of the Garda. Just been browsing through this nd seems reserves look down on non reserves nd then people who have been after this for years are lookin down on people like me who might just send in an application when it comes up. Maybe if I got an interview the board might be impressed by the fact I won't have an ego nd go on like I know everything because was a reserve or have wanted to join police since childhood.

I agree. Just because somebody wants to do it dosnt mean they'll be good at it.

Apply. At the moment the requirements are the same as previous campaigns, you have just as good of a chance as everybody else.

Exactly.. go for it :) absolutely nothing to loose. You'll regret not applying. Plenty of people on here who can help you with questions aswell if you need anything.

I wonder will there be an open day in the college ?

When was the last one... 2007 or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EmmaThomas

I want to apply for AGS but only hold provisional driving licence would this hold against me in my application?

EmmaThomas wrote: »
    I want to apply for AGS but only hold provisional driving licence would this hold against me in my application?

No one knows yet Emma. We'll find out in the coming weeks what the requirements are and if we all need new bits.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I won't be able though don't have the required education. (unless it's changed to accept trade certs/ fetac level 5).
    I just saying as a hypothetical a person who never thought about joining could see the newspaper ad, say ah sure il give it a go nd be likeable / do good interview get in nd be a great gard in the end.

Thanks, I won't be able though don't have the required education. (unless it's changed to accept trade certs/ fetac level 5).
    I just saying as a hypothetical a person who never thought about joining could see the newspaper ad, say ah sure il give it a go nd be likeable / do good interview get in nd be a great gard in the end.

I came off a bit strong in the last post there. I don't mean to say that people who never saw themselves going for the gards would not be good garda, or shouldn't go for it. I mainly meant that they will be the people that might find they don't have the requirments. The best thing that can be done is to go and get the requirments that will be needed and then give it a shot, there is nothing to be lost. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Are A levels accepted for those applying from the North?

Are A levels accepted for those applying from the North?

Yes the A levels would be seen as a like equivalent to the leaving certificate. As long as you have the grades and 2 languages I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

annlewis wrote: »
    No one knows yet Emma. We'll find out in the coming weeks what the requirements are and if we all need new bits.

I lOl'd :D

D Trent wrote: »
    I lOl'd :D

Oops hahaha sorry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cbwex

Important!!!! Alan Shatter Audio via Newstalk

Advertisements will be in the paper on the 12th of December. Get ready folks!!!

http://www.newstalk.ie/Minister-says-over-30000-have-applied-to-join-the-gardai

cbwex wrote: »
    Important!!!! Alan Shatter Audio via Newstalk

Advertisements will be in the paper on the 12th of December. Get ready folks!!!

http://www.newstalk.ie/Minister-says-over-30000-have-applied-to-join-the-gardai

Goldie fish your s**t hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

thekopend wrote: »
    Goldie fish your s**t hot!

but he got it wrong

• Advertisement

Scouser wrote: »
    but he got it wrong

I'll take an estimation that's one day out any day!

Advertisement