Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2014 info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Your facts need to be checked.

Expand???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Devil08 wrote: »
    Expand???

In short, Everything. There is no such thing as a Garda recruit any more. There are either Student gardai or Probationer Gardaí. Failing to grasp this basic concept makes the rest of your petition nonsense. Are you comparing student pay to probationer pay? It's impossible to tell.

It's up to you to do the research. The fact is, student garda pay was always very low.

In short, Everything. There is no such thing as a Garda recruit any more. There are either Student gardai or Probationer Gardaí. Failing to grasp this basic concept makes the rest of your petition nonsense. Are you comparing student pay to probationer pay? It's impossible to tell.

It's up to you to do the research. The fact is, student garda pay was always very low.

A Garda recruit is someone who has been recruited to the force. It is clearly a term that is always used. I'm comparing the pay of 23k that was quoted in the information booklet to the previous rate of pay. If YOU did your research you would know what I'm talking about.

A Garda recruit is someone who has been recruited to the force. It is clearly a term that is always used. I'm comparing the pay of 23k that was quoted in the information booklet to the previous rate of pay. If YOU did your research you would know what I'm talking about.

As an ex Garda, I'm saying your facts need to be checked. I was never referred to as a recruit at any time. It was a term that ceased to be used post 1992.(Conroy Commission).It's up to you.
    Also, is it wise to have a petition on the same site that seeks to legalise a prohibited substance? It isn't sending the correct message.

As an ex Garda, I'm saying your facts need to be checked. I was never referred to as a recruit at any time. It was a term that ceased to be used post 1992.(Conroy Commission).It's up to you.
    Also, is it wise to have a petition on the same site that seeks to legalise a prohibited substance? It isn't sending the correct message.

There are different forums and threads on this website.This is the Garda recruitment forum. I think it's the most appropriate place for it.
    I know my facts, I have them in black and white. You stick to the 50s or whenever it was you were a corrupt garda

There are different forums and threads on this website.This is the Garda recruitment forum. I think it's the most appropriate place for it.
    I know my facts, I have them in black and white. You stick to the 50s or whenever it was you were a corrupt garda

I'm quoting this for evidence purposes. Your comment is unwise.

I'm quoting this for evidence purposes. Your comment is unwise.

Quote all u like, I'm not deleting anything.
    And come back to me when you have information to suggest my facts were wrong. Until then, don't challenge them

I offered my input, you respond with abuse. Well done.

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

You are a disgrace for posting this. If this poster was a former member you should be ashamed and do not deserve a place in Templemore

Raider190 wrote: »
    You are a disgrace for posting this. If this poster was a former member you should be ashamed and do not deserve a place in Templemore

So just because I want to join AGS means I automatically have to respect all members and former members? Give me break. Respect is earned. A lot of bad eggs in AGS. It's worth going in with your eyes open. The naive ones will fall at first hurdle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

So just because I want to join AGS means I automatically have to respect all members and former members? Give me break. Respect is earned. A lot of bad eggs in AGS. It's worth going in with your eyes open. The naive ones will fall at first hurdle

I somehow see that you would fall at the first hurdle. You don't meet one of the requirements for a start "Must be of good character" as you are quick to throw accusations around when someone with experience is giving input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

The attitude problem you have will stop you being successful in this campaign Devil08. Maybe in a few years when u grow up, are you 18??
    The petition is pretty pathetic aswel.

Brace myself for I've done this / seen that / I know it all backlash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Devil08, why not try a different career and maybe in a few years time try your luck with AGS when pay improves? If you are 18 then you have loads of time to kill.

People have been brainwashed and will work for nothing.... As much as I agree with your intentions. I think your fighting a losing battle mate..

carzony wrote: »
    Devil08, why not try a different career and maybe in a few years time try your luck with AGS when pay improves? If you are 18 then you have loads of time to kill.

People have been brainwashed and will work for nothing.... As much as I agree with your intentions. I think your fighting a losing battle mate..

Far from 18. I was on the panel in 2008 so that being 6 years ago you can guess my age. I'm late 20s.
    I'm prepared to stand up for myself unlike most of this country who accept the ****t thrown at them. Some people here make me sick and it sums up Ireland in general.

Far from 18. I was on the panel in 2008 so that being 6 years ago you can guess my age. I'm late 20s.
    I'm prepared to stand up for myself unlike most of this country who accept the ****t thrown at them. Some people here make me sick and it sums up Ireland in general.

People will soon learn after a few weeks in the job with no money and the person sitting beside them in the patrol car is earning a lot more than them just because they got in a few years earlier..

I know what it's like having no money, people start thinking your a scab and not being able to even put a tenner in the car.. ****in awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

Used to post here years ago; felt the need to register and say a few things..

@Devil08 I'm genuinely sorry for you that the panel was scrapped. You're bitter about it and I would be too. However, the world is a **** place a lot of the time. If you can't accept that then good luck on a unit. 'A lot of bad eggs in AGS'? Would you like to tar any other large organisation with one brush? Yes there are a number of turds in AGS, but there are turds in the Defence Forces, Fire Brigades and Ambulance Service too. The chip on your shoulder is weighing you down. Do you honestly think that posting a petition online whilst hiding behind an anonymous username is 'standing up for yourself'?! You wont get many signatures. Yes it's a disgrace that pay and allowances have been cut, but if you don't like it don't apply. No one will care bar you.

The pay is not very good, especially in comparison to the PSNI. But that's life.

@several other users If you agree with Devil08, sign the petition and then withdraw your application.. please. I occasionally skim by here and the utter trash being spoken by some people is mind boggling! People spouting on about how it's all they've ever wanted to do, yet they don't know eligibility criteria. As for those of you posting about forming study groups on Facebook.. sweet baby jesus.

Happy New Year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

What's so negative about forming study groups? Surely helping each other out and sharing info can only be beneficial to all involved?

There seems to be an influx of negative comments on these few threads lately,

Canyon86 wrote: »
    There seems to be an influx of negative comments on these few threads lately,

There has always been very negative opinions on these forums IMO..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Negativity won't get anyone anywhere in
    life, ye all need a good cry and a hug! People with a positive outlook on life are the ones that will go far. The study groups that some people have helped form are very beneficial for people who need to brush up on maths, Irish or so on but they are mainly for people who want to ask questions or talk to like minded people who want to join the guards. That is all it's for. Feel free to join to facebook group it's open for discussion. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

I am been following the argument about garda pay on this for a while. However im a bit confused. According to the GRA website the net pay per week from 1/01/11 is
    on attestation is 396.97 and after 22 weeks is 424.33.
    Im confused as to where the figure 350 is coming from ?

number13 wrote: »
    I am been following the argument about garda pay on this for a while. However im a bit confused. According to the GRA website the net pay per week from 1/01/11 is

Please don't tell me after all this complaining that the figure is actually 424 a week? :rolleyes::rolleyes: That kind of pay I could live with....

number13 wrote: »

You read the website wrong. It's say up until 2011.
    The new wage as quoted in the info book is 23k per year.
    This amounts to about 440 a week before tax, USC, prsi, health ins, pension, pension levy, are all deducted from that. Be lucky to get 350 a week.

don't the lads in the defence forces only earn around 350 a week? They seem to manage considering I've rarely heard of them struggling like you do with the garda in the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

When is the closing date for applications again?

Jan 9th?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RANDOMUSER

When is the closing date for applications again?

Jan 9th?

Yes its the 9th of January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

You stick to the 50s or whenever it was you were a corrupt garda

This is a disgusting comment to make to anyone and it seems to be the trend on this forum over the last few months by some posters.

This will be my last post on this forum until some people grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ted_almighty

TheNog wrote: »
    This is a disgusting comment to make to anyone and it seems to be the trend on this forum over the last few months by some posters.

This will be my last post on this forum until some people grow up.

I was a frequent poster over on the PSNI Recruitment boards back when you were and 'Shield' were both the Mods. I enjoyed the banter with the lads (and the girls PYG MGH et al) and found both advice and reassurance.

Imagine my disappointment when I started reading the Garda Recruitment boards. I generally don't post round these parts as most of the topics start off useful and end up a slagging match between two or three posters.

I feel your pain Nog!!

- ta

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Devil08 infracted for personal abuse, one more slip up from him and he will be taking a permanent holiday from here.

edit... am only after seeing that petition now.

Banned for 3 days, advertising petitions are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Garda Trainees will receive an allowance of €184 per week for the 32 weeks leading to attestation.

Got this from the public jobs handbook, is there only 8 months training?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

thestar wrote: »
    Garda Trainees will receive an allowance of €184 per week for the 32 weeks leading to attestation.

Got this from the public jobs handbook, is there only 8 months training?

8months in the College

then your train on the Job in a designated training station

• Advertisement

so after 32 weeks your basically a qualified garda in whatever station your put in?

so after 32 weeks your basically a qualified garda in whatever station your put in?

your an 'attested' garda meaning full policing powers however still regarded as a 'student' until the training time finishes

and what about pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

and what about pay?

Aw for god sake where have you been under a rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

D Trent wrote: »
    Aw for god sake where have you been under a rock?

A head a cabbage I'd say. The storm brought him/her out from under it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

thekopend wrote: »
    They really could have made it clearer with regards to the languages, someone should get a right answer and sticky it to get rid of the confusion!

The new regulations have been published, see link below. Not sure if that will make things a great deal clearer for you but have a look.

GARDA SÍOCHÁNA (ADMISSIONS AND APPOINTMENTS)
    REGULATIONS 2013

I mean will one be on the full wage after the 32 weeks.
    ? Just answer the question as vincent brown would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I mean will one be on the full wage after the 32 weeks.
    ? Just answer the question as vincent brown would say

Yes

Thanks lukesmom,i have been keeping a close eye on this forum and didn't see any talk about it only being 8 months. Just delighted that there are so many people on here that know it all

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Thanks lukesmom,i have been keeping a close eye on this forum and didn't see any talk about it only being 8 months. Just delighted that there are so many people on here that know it all

Not trying to be a smartarse but when you sign up there is a booklet in pdf that you download that tells you all the pay conditions, and training schedule. It is all there for you to see.......

• Advertisement

anyone with a genuine interest in becoming a Garda should know this info verbatim

and if you did not, a simple google would have provided all the correct info for you - investigative skills some would call it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Allknowing

Maybe the job isn't for you chap.

However, if you are successful in applying may I give you some advice?

Wind your neck in and listen and learn. Make a comment like that in the college and you will get gate.

Men in every decade died in the uniform and are not forgotten. The Roll Of Honor is inside the main door. Have a look.

As for anyone else looking to join, stay away from any petitions.

kev-bt wrote: »
    Not trying to be a smartarse but when you sign up there is a booklet in pdf that you download that tells you all the pay conditions, and training schedule. It is all there for you to see.......

There is but I don't have time to be reading it!! Another question for my learned colleagues, for the aptitude test will i be given a specific time and date in which to be at my laptop or will there be a specified time period given in which it has to be done during?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

There is but I don't have time to be reading it!! Another question for my learned colleagues, for the aptitude test will i be given a specific time and date in which to be at my laptop or will there be a specified time period given in which it has to be done during?

Ring PAS and get them to spell it out for you

your laziness is quite annoying and your wasting precious bandwidth with your constant scutter

You have to sit at your lap top, it could be any day now, so try not to fall asleep. :-)

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Ring PAS and get them to spell it out for you

your laziness is quite annoying and your wasting precious bandwidth with your constant scutter

A lot of the candidates are the same. I only got off the phone to a close friend who told me he applied last week.

He had no idea about the pay, educational requirements, exams, and even what the competition consists of. The mind boggles...:rolleyes:

If he gets to the interview stage i'll be shocked..

All I'm asking is am i gonna be told to be at the laptop at a certain time or will there just be a week given when it has to be done? It's a pretty reasonable question.

All I'm asking is am i gonna be told to be at the laptop at a certain time or will there just be a week given when it has to be done? It's a pretty reasonable question.

Yes.

If all else fails for the funny people here they can always fall back on the comedy. The name of this thread is Garda Recruitment 2014 info. I'm asking questions looking for information so I don't see how people get satisfaction from making digs at strangers online, its a sad reflection on the personalities of people who want to join a force where helping people is a major part of the job. Hope ye are as smart in the interview, grow up

• Advertisement

If all else fails for the funny people here they can always fall back on the comedy. The name of this thread is Garda Recruitment 2014 info. I'm asking questions looking for information so I don't see how people get satisfaction from making digs at strangers online, its a sad reflection on the personalities of people who want to join a force where helping people is a major part of the job. Hope ye are as smart in the interview, grow up

If you get the huff from a bit of ribbing, then maybe the jobs not for you.

Advertisement