Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2014 info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Allknowing

Fair enough thestar, but it is hard to take seriously someone who are not even bothered to read supplied job info.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RANDOMUSER

thestar wrote: »
    If all else fails for the funny people here they can always fall back on the comedy. The name of this thread is Garda Recruitment 2014 info. I'm asking questions looking for information so I don't see how people get satisfaction from making digs at strangers online, its a sad reflection on the personalities of people who want to join a force where helping people is a major part of the job. Hope ye are as smart in the interview, grow up

Why spend so much time asking questions and hoping to get answers when you could easily read the info book provided or make a simple phonecall and be given 100% accuarate info. Are you going to ask people online for the answers to the aptitude tests or maybe hold your hand at interview if you make it that far.

Some people on here and that I know need to realise that this is a competition for a very few coveted positions and being prepared and having all necessary information and knowledge on the process and post is essential in order to advance further in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

If all else fails for the funny people here they can always fall back on the comedy. The name of this thread is Garda Recruitment 2014 info. I'm asking questions looking for information so I don't see how people get satisfaction from making digs at strangers online, its a sad reflection on the personalities of people who want to join a force where helping people is a major part of the job. Hope ye are as smart in the interview, grow up

You're dead right.
    Come here and ask all the questions you want and gather as much information as possible.

If people know the answer they will reply and if they don't, unfortunately they will reply anyway.

Some will give you straight answers, some will make up the answers and unfortunately, some will throw smart comments at you.
    The motive is unknown, possibly to prove to other boardies that they are better applicants, maybe to put you off applying or perhaps maybe it's just because you they are board and would like to show that they know the answer amd you don'.

Some people are on here a and acting as if applicants must be approved by them before they can apply. Some don't even agree with the current force and feel they can fix it. :o
    By the sound of it, some even feel they are owed the positions and other people are simply just getting in the way...

Now, to answer your question. The dates of the aptitude tests have not been released. People don't currently know what day it will be or what notice they will get. Just keep an eye on your emails and notification.
    There is an information booklet available that outlines the job description etc.
    It doesn't give too much information on the aptitude tests or interviews.
    You can download it on the pas website.

Good luck with your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RANDOMUSER

mfergus wrote: »
    You're dead right.
    Come here and ask all the questions you want and gather as much information as possible.

If people know the answer they will reply and if they don't, unfortunately they will reply anyway.

Some will give you straight answers, some will make up the answers and unfortunately, some will throw smart comments at you.
    The motive is unknown, possibly to prove to other boardies that they are better applicants, maybe to put you off applying or perhaps maybe it's just because you they are board and would like to show that they know the answer amd you don'.

Some people are on here a and acting as if applicants must be approved by them before they can apply. Some don't even agree with the current force and feel they can fix it. :o
    By the sound of it, some even feel they are owed the positions and other people are simply just getting in the way...

Now, to answer your question. The dates of the aptitude tests have not been released. People don't currently know what day it will be or what notice they will get. Just keep an eye on your emails and notification.
    There is an information booklet available that outlines the job description etc.

Informants, Double Crosses and wise cracking know it alls, you make this thread sound like an Arnie movie!!!

Very even tempered and good answer though!

RANDOMUSER wrote: »
    Informants, Double Crosses and wise cracking know it alls, you make this thread sound like an Arnie movie!!!

Very even tempered and good answer though!

A Na. It doesn't really affect me. I just thought I'd give an opinion on the way the forum is gone.

It's gone from a very helpful and useful resource to a dick measuring competition. Why I'm better than person a...etc.

Reading over posts iv seen people saying stupid things including: people who joined In the 50s are corrupt, they let anyone in before this... etc

There are a few very experienced posters on this who are going back years, some even full time members who know the process inside out, people who have a fortune of information to share. It's just not being used as it should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I've been looking for a good time to post this! :pac:
    I am only joking by the way, I don't suggest anyone attempt this ! I think it's very fitting given the handbagging between people these days :D

NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Wait until the aplication date has closed like everyone else and more information will be released, the layout of online test is not clear at the moment. We are not here to give digs to strangers, nor are we here to answer the same f***ing questions 50 times/stupid questions which are on the booklet because people are too lazy to read the information that's there for them. We are not personal assistants As for being too busy to read it that's a pathetic excuse, if you can't bother spare 20 minutes to read about a job you are applying for then don't apply for it. You must not be that interested.

The thread is for asking questions when you have read the information and might not understand it fully. And people can help. We're not donkeys

carzony wrote: »
    A lot of the candidates are the same. I only got off the phone to a close friend who told me he applied last week.

He had no idea about the pay, educational requirements, exams, and even what the competition consists of. The mind boggles...:rolleyes:

If he gets to the interview stage i'll be shocked..

Let's hope 10,000 of the applicants are as half arsed as this and we might be in with a good chance

thekopend wrote: »
    Let's hope 10,000 of the applicants are as half arsed as this and we might be in with a good chance

You'll also have to hope the 10000 are bad at aptitude tests or it won't make much of a difference how half arsed they are!

You'll also have to hope the 10000 are bad at aptitude tests or it won't make much of a difference how half arsed they are!

Well if they don't even know about the tests like what was said on what I commented on then they can't be that good at them having not prepared.
    No person will get to tmore this time round without a fair bit of preparation. In fact no person will get an interview for this years intake without preparation, the standard will be rediculouse.

• Advertisement

Can't see anything on the information booklet being asked in the aptitude test :L

What are you talking about.!

Carzony said that his friend didn't even know about aptitude test or anything for that matter, I'm saying that if you haven't prepared well for it you have no chance. Thus people who have prepared have a better chance. So hopefully there are a good few who haven't done any prep like carzonys friend. Do you understand, or are you still lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Carzony said that his friend didn't even know about aptitude test or anything for that matter, I'm saying that if you haven't prepared well for it you have no chance. Thus people who have prepared have a better chance. So hopefully there are a good few who haven't done any prep like carzonys friend. Do you understand, or are you still lost.

I suspect the majority of the candidates are like that. Lots of people I know have applied without having any idea on what they have signed up for.

Edit: ill delete this comment. Kinda insulting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

You're dead right.

Your dead right. There are certain people on this who must just sit on this all day, answering everything and they think they know everything.

Just because you've wanted the job for years, it doesn't make you any better then someone who applied for the position and never really had an interest in it before.

We're all just statistics with less then 1% chance of progression. The cream will rise to the top. The place to impress people is at the interview, not on this. Let's just help each other out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Finally going to just apply for the guards. I know i'll just be drop in the ocean. Hardly any chances of getting it.... but its the new year and just feels good to start applying for jobs.

Can anyone give me some tips? :)
    I am all good on the requirements section but apart from doing a little research (thanks to this thread) I wouldnt know much. For example know nothing about medical checks etc. What to say etc

Finally going to just apply for the guards. I know i'll just be drop in the ocean. Hardly any chances of getting it.... but its the new year and just feels good to start applying for jobs.

Can anyone give me some tips? :)
    I am all good on the requirements section but apart from doing a little research (thanks to this thread) I wouldnt know much. For example know nothing about medical checks etc. What to say etc

Everything is online, read the document that was on public jobs, that should clear up a lot of what you asked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Everything is online, read the document that was on public jobs, that should clear up a lot of what you asked!

Was asking for a bit more than what is currently online. But thanks for getting back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanog84

Hey everyone, just on the topic of educational requirements. My leaving cert as far as I know mightn't be up to scratch as far as Irish goes (foundation level) everything else should be ok. But since the leaving I've got my degree. Im just wondering does a degree over write the leaving or are the leaving cert results still taken into account??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Hello fellow hopefuls! Happy new year to ye all.
    Thought I'd jump on Boards once again after I applied online for AGS, Ive been a pretty sporadic user but this seems like a handy forum to share info and so on, I'm a bit shocked at the amount of folks asking questions that are quite obviously on all the related literature and PDFs etc...Strange to say the least. I used to be on alot of the threads for the paramedic recruitment and saw alot of the same then too. I wonder is there a percentage of applicants who are only applying because they like the idea of being called a Garda or becuase they think "Oooh what a cool job, sounds deadly" Aaaaanway rant over there. Im not in th reserves, but I am in the Civil Defence and am fairly fit and have a few courses under my belt that I hope come in handy, that will count for nothing though if the apptitude tests etc dont go well.
    Has anyone got any idea about the apptitude test? I mean to say do you think it would be worth while doing some prep by doing apptitude tests that one finds for other jobs and in other countries etc? I done quick Google there and theres a huge wealth of online resources, practise tests etc that if we're lucky might be some way similiar to the ones we'll have to do.

Cheers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

Does irish and English count as the two languages or are they looking for something a bit more exotic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

danbag1989 wrote: »
    Hello fellow hopefuls! Happy new year to ye all.
    Thought I'd jump on Boards once again after I applied online for AGS, Ive been a pretty sporadic user but this seems like a handy forum to share info and so on, I'm a bit shocked at the amount of folks asking questions that are quite obviously on all the related literature and PDFs etc...Strange to say the least. I used to be on alot of the threads for the paramedic recruitment and saw alot of the same then too. I wonder is there a percentage of applicants who are only applying because they like the idea of being called a Garda or becuase they think "Oooh what a cool job, sounds deadly" Aaaaanway rant over there. Im not in th reserves, but I am in the Civil Defence and am fairly fit and have a few courses under my belt that I hope come in handy, that will count for nothing though if the apptitude tests etc dont go well.
    Has anyone got any idea about the apptitude test? I mean to say do you think it would be worth while doing some prep by doing apptitude tests that one finds for other jobs and in other countries etc? I done quick Google there and theres a huge wealth of online resources, practise tests etc that if we're lucky might be some way similiar to the ones we'll have to do.

Cheers ;)
    Hi dan bag it's good to be accompanied by a fellow civil defence member! What unit are u in? Yeah I've been using some of them apt test websites wenever I get a spare 10mins they're handy esp since they're free

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Just as a matter of interest lads what do the civil defence do?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

Just as a matter of interest lads what do the civil defence do?

Emergency support services as far as I know, in the event of disasters and the like.

so basically they do nothing all year except train? They sound a bit like the RDF

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

so basically they do nothing all year except train? They sound a bit like the RDF

Casualty
    · Search and Rescue
    · Auxiliary Fire Service
    · Radiation Monitoring
    · Welfare
    · Communications

We support the frontline emergency services in dealing with severe weather, flooding, major accidents, fire fighting and searching for missing people."

Actually they would seem to do a bit more than the RDF on first notice...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They would continually train to respond to major disasters, but they do a lot more than just that. They provide medical and fire cover at events, respond to flooding, assist the Gardai in urban and rural searches, provide stewarding, help keep traffic flowing during snow and the likes. The services of the Civil Defence are called on quite a bit really.

The news page has some decent information on the activities of the Civil Defence - http://www.civildefence.ie/cdweb.nsf/news+view

(Speaking as someone who has been involved in CD)

Howdy! I was down in Tralee, done most of training etc there. But Im back living at home in Kildare but moving to Dublin soon so ill transfer up there. You??
    Yeah I done a few of the online tests too.

Do you, or anyone else know or heard of, if you can provide written references? I would imagine if you could it would probably be at the interview stage, but I havent heard anything so possibly not!

Having also been a member of the CD, definitely a lot better value for money than the RDF ! :p

I have had some great experiences with them, from crowd control, body searches and body bagging, gorse fires, flooding and countless first aid experiences!
    Definitely somethings that will open any young mans eyes, wouldn't be long maturing you up!

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Hi dan bag it's good to be accompanied by a fellow civil defence member! What unit are u in?

Another fellow civil defence member here also :D I'm in Rescue.. I'm sure that will be a fantastic talking point at the interviews

From what i'v seen the guards work with and seem to really appreciate what the civil defence does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Another fellow civil defence member here also :D I'm in Rescue.. I'm sure that will be a fantastic talking point at the interviews

From what i'v seen the guards work with and seem to really appreciate what the civil defence does.

Any public event I was on duty for, such as paddys day parades, concerts or even bishop's installations, the people who were usually standing in the rain outside, alongside me were civil defence members. The dedication and good humour in which they do their duty is exactly the thing AGS looks for in a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

danbag1989 wrote: »
    Howdy! I was down in Tralee, done most of training etc there. But Im back living at home in Kildare but moving to Dublin soon so ill transfer up there. You??
    Yeah I done a few of the online tests too.

Do you, or anyone else know or heard of, if you can provide written references? I would imagine if you could it would probably be at the interview stage, but I havent heard anything so possibly not!

No you can't provide written references. You need to supply about 5 references on the application form and they will the. ring them. 1 of them has to be a Garda you know, so get to know your local gardai if you don't know anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Devil08 wrote: »
    No you can't provide written references. You need to supply about 5 references on the application form and they will the. ring them. 1 of them has to be a Garda you know, so get to know your local gardai if you don't know anyone!

whatever happend to you closing your account Devil? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

he needs us

I got banned so gave me time to think before closing it! Been itching to reply to some of the idiotic posts on here the past few days haha, I'd pull my hair out if I closed it! Just need to watch my tongue, some very sensitive people on here!!

• Advertisement

Also, I leave for 3 days and come back and it's turned into a chat over tea and biscuits about the civil defence forces.
    Did no one keep it on track in my absence!?

And if you don't know any garda? Surely they don't expect everyone to know a garda lol

And if you don't know any garda? Surely they don't expect everyone to know a garda lol

I think it's otional actually to provide a reference from a Garda you know. I put a good friend of mine down before and my local super called him. Gave me a glowing reference!!

I think it's otional actually to provide a reference from a Garda you know. I put a good friend of mine down before and my local super called him. Gave me a glowing reference!!

i actually know a sargeant and a community garda whos been there 32 years so they will be going down:D

Wow really? I didnt see that anywhere cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I got banned so gave me time to think before closing it! Been itching to reply to some of the idiotic posts on here the past few days haha, I'd pull my hair out if I closed it! Just need to watch my tongue, some very sensitive people on here!!

It's amazing how people can be sensitive to someone else slandering them.

It's amazing how people can be sensitive to someone else slandering them.

I apologised and you chose not to accept it. Your own problem, I've moved on

I wonder what news Friday will bring, I presume all that have applied will get email regarding aptitudes ect. Will they say how much have applied, I will be interesting to hear.

I wonder what news Friday will bring, I presume all that have applied will get email regarding aptitudes ect. Will they say how much have applied, I will be interesting to hear.

i wouldnt expect to hear anything until next week at the earliest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Can anyone put me in the right direction of doing practise aptitude tests online?

If not will there be day courses running around the country, I'm from Waterford and there doesn't seem to be anything happening yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

What's the story colourblind wise this time round ?

Boaty wrote: »
    What's the story colourblind wise this time round ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057102586

Scouser wrote: »
    i wouldnt expect to hear anything until next week at the earliest

next week at the latest if you ask me,they said aptitude would be mid January, there is usually a few days or a week to familiarize yourself with the prep material they give out before aptitude so i think it wont be long after closing date that there will be more info. next week is mid january! automated emails to be sent out after midnight of closing date, just like there was on the opening date, that would be my guess.

next week at the latest if you ask me,they said aptitude would be mid January, there is usually a few days or a week to familiarize yourself with the prep material they give out before aptitude so i think it wont be long after closing date that there will be more info. next week is mid january! automated emails to be sent out after midnight of closing date, just like there was on the opening date, that would be my guess.

i hope your right!

im gonna nail these apptitudes :eek: :cool:

there is a fine line between nail and fail, haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement