Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recruitment 2014 info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Juicy432 wrote: »
    No, give it a week so they organize themselves..

You need to remember they are setting the timetable, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Well I see it this way, if they want online exams done mid January, or there abouts. It has to be very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

thekopend wrote: »
    Well I see it this way, if they want online exams done mid may, or there abouts. It has to be very soon

online tests in Mid may? Thought new recruits were gonna be in templemore then

thestar wrote: »
    online tests in Mid may? Thought new recruits were gonna be in templemore then

Sorry meant to say January

thekopend wrote: »
    Sorry meant to say January

I'll let it slide this time even though your a liverpool supporter

Oh how did you know:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

He's getting a bit excited because usually at this time of the year Liverpool are destined for a comfortable mid table position.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Murphster

RTE have confirmed that 25,000 have applied for 300 places - the scene is set for a tough competition so good luck to everyone and may the best 300 ultimately carry their badge with pride!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Murphster wrote: »
    RTE have confirmed that 25,000 have applied for 300 places - the scene is set for a tough competition so good luck to everyone and may the best 300 ultimately carry their badge with pride!

Better than 35,000 which they said had placed interest. 10,000 down already. Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

want2b wrote: »
    Better than 35,000 which they said had placed interest. 10,000 down already. Good news.

Not to mention the people that applied for the crack, without any research, I know 1 personally. With the medicals, aptitude test, interview, fitness etc. Theres alot of hoops to jump through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Did anybody do the practice tests online yet? The first one abstract reasoning I did well in and got them all right, but the second test I didn't have a clue what I was doing untill There were a few seconds left. I managed to get 3 right, 2 wrong, and didn't finish the last one.

The time limit will be key I think. Im sure once you answer every question you'll do enough to pass. Don't get hung up on getting them all right. I'd rather fail after answering every question, then fail and only answer half of them. Plenty of practice still needed I think

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Link?

Have emails been sent out?

Just thinking the same..checked emails..none, and logged onto public jobs there to see if the prep had been put up but I couldn't find it.
    Some one calm me....tell me its not up and im not losing my tiny mind :o

Link?

Have emails been sent out?

I got a message on publicjobs and it explains what's in the aptitude test, and a link to a few practice questions

Me neither. Hopefully its there shortly.
    Anyone else get it ?

Just got a text!

Got the email and have completed the sample questions ... Verbal Reasoning aint pretty! But as the old adage goes: "How do you get to Carnagie hall ...?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Murphster wrote: »
    Got the email and have completed the sample questions ... Verbal Reasoning aint pretty! But as the old adage goes: "How do you get to Carnagie hall ...?"

Creativity :-P

• Advertisement

Verbal Reasoning is not nice :(

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Verbal Reasoning is not nice :(

Very hard indeed

want2b wrote: »
    Very hard indeed

I must have had about 20 odd gos and my best score was 4 out of 6. Horrendous

ann.lewis wrote: »
    I must have had about 20 odd gos and my best score was 4 out of 6. Horrendous

42 of them questions in 12 minutes, all I can say is "interesting"

• Registered Users Posts: 13 seanog84

Is anyone else gettin problems opening the link?? I keep getting told that its not a supported file type...

• Advertisement

I got a message to my public jobs account but I never got an email, is this the same with every1 else?

I got a message to my public jobs account but I never got an email, is this the same with every1 else?

I got an email from publicjobs telling me that I had received a message, that's where the ball starts rolling. You have received the most important part so I wouldnt fret about the email (it might be worth ensuring that your info is correct with publicjobs for furture reference should you not receive the email).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Got the txt and email from public jobs. As I read the email and the article in the newspapers about 25,000 applying for 300 positions it's like a lotto and the saying "it not what you know it's who you know" comes into mind.

Also bit strange to be sending out links on a Friday evening? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

STIG83 wrote: »
    Got the txt and email from public jobs. As I read the email and the article in the newspapers about 25,000 applying for 300 positions it's like a lotto and the saying "it not what you know it's who you know" comes into mind.

Also bit strange to be sending out links on a Friday evening? :confused:

Friday evening is always the way. Then they can't have 20000 people ringing them asking questions.

25000 is a lot less than what I expected. Take into account the fact that some people won't continue their application. Some are probably in Australia and only hoping they can get back in time for the interview. There was a fella here last week that said he applied but Is still in school..
    Some people may have criminal records and a lot would have changed their minds when they saw the change in pay etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

mfergus wrote: »
    Friday evening is always the way. Then they can't have 20000 people ringing them asking questions.

25000 is a lot less than what I expected. Take into account the fact that some people won't continue their application. Some are probably in Australia and only hoping they can get back in time for the interview. There was a fella here last week that said he applied but Is still in school..
    Some people may have criminal records and a lot would have changed their minds when they saw the change in pay etc.

They will be loads dropping like flies from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

did u open the message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

STIG83 wrote: »
    They will be loads dropping like flies from now on.

Where do you see the change in pay

On the first thing you should have read if you are applying.

Never seen anything about it. Lol. To be perfectly honest I'm only applying for the Craic. I've already full time on another service so happy out but just seeing how far I'll get.
    But anyway , where's the link to the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

adam88 wrote: »
    Never seen anything about it. Lol. To be perfectly honest I'm only applying for the Craic. I've already full time on another service so happy out but just seeing how far I'll get.

This is the type of shiit that makes up most of the 25k who applied. Wasting people's time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Your totally entitled to apply as anyone is don't pay heed to some posters. Can I ask you what service you work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

D Trent wrote: »
    Your totally entitled to apply as anyone is don't pay heed to some posters. Can I ask you what service you work for?

Yes everyone is entitled to apply. But why apply for a job you know nothing about, don't know the wage on offer and seem to have no interest in it whatsoever?
    Your a bigger fool for standing up for arrsrholes like this.
    And I'll take a yellow for the team.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Infracted for personal abuse.

No further public comment on this post, or the infraction.

Back on-topic please.

Devil08 wrote: »
    Yes everyone is entitled to apply. But why apply for a job you know nothing about, don't know the wage on offer and seem to have no interest in it whatsoever?
    Your a bigger fool for standing up for arrsrholes like this.
    And I'll take a yellow for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

The recruitment process is complete a joke! The Public Appointments Sevice have not got a clue. This new online system is total nonsense.

A bunch of overpaid civil servants who know absolute nothing about An Garda Síochána trying to decide who is suitbale for the Gardaí is utter bull****!

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    The recruitment process is complete a joke! The Public Appointments Sevice have not got a clue. This new online system is total nonsense.

A bunch of overpaid civil servants who know absolute nothing about An Garda Síochána trying to decide who is suitbale for the Gardaí is utter bull****!

Aptitude test are used for all public service jobs in Ireland, and throughout the rest of the world. How do you propose they sort out 25,000 applications? What would you do?

• Advertisement

And we all believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Jaysus lads yoy are very gullible, to be taken in by an obvious wum so quickly.

The use of aptitude tests is a worldwide practice. The very fact that some people are finding it difficult is showing that the system is working. Each candidate is entering the aptitude test section with equal opportunity. The fact that Daddy is a Superintendent or the applicant is a Reserve means nothing. There is no external influence. You either have the ability to get through the tests or not. There are many other parts of the application process which will eventually influence the final decision of the interview board.
    The authorities cannot be expected to interview 20,000 applicants and there must be some way of eliminating candidates. Maybe some applicants will have to accept that they cannot make it through the process but that's the system

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    And we all believe you.

Meh!!! Up to you really. I'm just putting it out there. Just seeing how far I'll succeed. If it's a thing I make the cut I'll have serious decisions to make, but I suppose for now I'm in no real panic as even if I didn't get it I'd still be in fill time state employment.

T&C are a bit better in the guards though.

Meh!!! Up to you really. I'm just putting it out there. Just seeing how far I'll succeed. If it's a thing I make the cut I'll have serious decisions to make, but I suppose for now I'm in no real panic as even if I didn't get it I'd still be in fill time state employment.

T&C are a bit better in the guards though.

Do you know anything about the job tho.

A fair bit. Family and close friends in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jimmymcnulty86

Don't mind the smart answers adam88, this is meant to be a light-hearted, helpful site but these forums have a lot of experts on them (even though they couldn't be further from experts). I wonder will they be so smart when they actually get in nd a superior is picking them up over paper work bein done slightly wrong or a possible HIV positive addict gettin in their face or a 6 foot 4 juice head in their face on a sat night, I doubt it!
    Good luck with your application.

Aptitude test are used for all public service jobs in Ireland, and throughout the rest of the world. How do you propose they sort out 25,000 applications? What would you do?

The problem is the Public Appointments Service are running it! Civil servants who have no got a clue about An Garda Síochána.

The tests are outdated and antiquated! They were based on a Scottish model. A college style examination could be used instead.

I would suggest you look into how other Police Forces recruit. It is certainly not done like this method.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The use of aptitude tests is a worldwide practice. The very fact that some people are finding it difficult is showing that the system is working. Each candidate is entering the aptitude test section with equal opportunity. The fact that Daddy is a Superintendent or the applicant is a Reserve means nothing. There is no external influence. You either have the ability to get through the tests or not. There are many other parts of the application process which will eventually influence the final decision of the interview board.
    The authorities cannot be expected to interview 20,000 applicants and there must be some way of eliminating candidates. Maybe some applicants will have to accept that they cannot make it through the process but that's the system

The system does not work! It does not always pick the best candidates or the most suitable either.

I never mentioned influence or interviewing 20,000-25,000. The tests are outdated and antiquated! I suggest you look at how other Police forces recruit. It is not done like this.

• Advertisement

The problem is the Public Appointments Service are running it! Civil servants who have no got a clue about An Garda Síochána.

The tests are outdated and antiquated! They were based on a Scottish model. A college style examination could be used instead.

I would suggest you look into how other Police Forces recruit. It is certainly not done like this method.

I don't know how other forces recruit. I know the PSNI is similar enough, but so what?

As long as they get 300 candidates they're happy. I trust the system.

I'm sure the people running the competition have done plenty of courses etc. and they know what there doing.

What do you mean a college style test? Do you propose they bring in essays, power points or assignments instead?

What's your proposal to picking 300 out of 25,000?

Advertisement