Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Bank Code Generator.

Options
  • 18-10-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

I liked the little card, it was easy. You picked code number 33, 25 or 69 and you were in, never a problem. However that is too simple let us f**k about with things and send eveybody out this piece of Chinese crap, let us face it we have f**k all else to do with our money.

Switch On > Insert card > Selection Function > it goes off. Try again, Select function, identify, Visa Auth > Enter pin... 6, it goes off... Try again... and again and again and again. I want to smack it with a lump hammer.

Attention AIB. The little card worked. This piece of s**t takes up valuable time in my life to simply pay a bill. Please tell me that the genius that came up with this now is responsible for putting the salt on the fries in McDonald's.

Code_zpsbaf56dee.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ulster Bank, Nationwide, Royal Bank of Scotland, Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds Bank, Bank of America, HSBC, Co-Op Bank, Santander all use card readers from doing a 2 second google search.

I found that with the code card in my wallet that the codes rubbed off very easily. But sure, you may as well just whine and moan at your bank, who cares about the security of your account. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The battery needs replacing but just request a New unit as you shouldn't have to pay for them IMO.

murphaph wrote: »
    The battery needs replacing but just request a New unit as you shouldn't have to pay for them IMO.

Do you ring Sky for a new remote when the batteries run out in yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

What I hate about these devices is that they tend to limit my online banking to home. I never carry these devices anywhere so if I'm at work and need to get statements or whatever form online banking, I can't cos the bloody card reader is at home. There has to be a better way. I love PTSB's solution which is to send a code via sms.

• Advertisement

Do you ring Sky for a new remote when the batteries run out in yours?
    No but sky don't really have an alternative. AIB want customers to use internet banking because it's cheaper for them. Fine, no problem there. However, they could offer sms tans in addition to the code generator or indeed they could supply a solar powered code generator that would never need batteries. AIB chooses to do neither of these things and instead ships a code generator that requires (IME) regular battery replacement.

You are free to do what you want of course. I personally got sick of AIB and left them, just retaining their credit card. Interestingly when you just have a CC with them they don't allow the use of code generators with the CC but rather use the old code lists, which is what I use now if I need to perform code generator requiring actions. AIB are a bit weird.

No but sky don't really have an alternative. AIB want customers to use internet banking because it's cheaper for them. Fine, no problem there. However, they could offer sms tans in addition to the code generator or indeed they could supply a solar powered code generator that would never need batteries. AIB chooses to do neither of these things and instead ships a code generator that requires (IME) regular battery replacement.

You are free to do what you want of course. I personally got sick of AIB and left them, just retaining their credit card. Interestingly when you just have a CC with them they don't allow the use of code generators with the CC but rather use the old code lists, which is what I use now if I need to perform code generator requiring actions. AIB are a bit weird.

All banks are moving towards the card reader though. I'd imagine that in the future the code card will be completely gone. It'd be very rare to make a payment to a 3rd party's account/set up a standing order from/on a credit card, so the code card wouldn't really be needed.

All banks are moving towards the card reader though. I'd imagine that in the future the code card will be completely gone. It'd be very rare to make a payment to a 3rd party's account/set up a standing order from/on a credit card, so the code card wouldn't really be needed.
    PTSB and BoI (in the Irish market) already offer sms tans. This is my preferred way personally. Code generators are the worst option because you are extremely unlikely to bring them with you when you're on the go, so if you find you need to make a transaction while you're on your holidays, you're snookered.

PTSB and BoI (in the Irish market) already offer sms tans. This is my preferred way personally. Code generators are the worst option because you are extremely unlikely to bring them with you when you're on the go, so if you find you need to make a transaction while you're on your holidays, you're snookered.

So move banks? Whats the drama?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I prefer the AIB card reader compared to BOI getting a text for every new payee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I've been with national irish bank/danske bank for a few years and I originally had a code generating device similar(albeit reliable) to aib but they moved me to using code cards. I liked the code generator but i also like the card. it is in my wallet and never had trouble with numbers rubbing off. The latest one is about 6 months old.

So move banks? Whats the drama?
    I already did, but thanks for the tip ;)

Do you know why the code card was discontinued?

There were phishing e-mails going around that coaxed people into giving all 100 codes off it! And people did it. So they had to change things.

Karsini wrote: »
    Do you know why the code card was discontinued?

There were phishing e-mails going around that coaxed people into giving all 100 codes off it! And people did it. So they had to change things.
    I suppose if people are stupid enough they can get them to do anything. The code card is not gone by the way...AIB's credit card only customers are issued a code card for online banking. You can use the code card to change the billing address of the card, so a phishing scam is still entirely possible. Phisher gets code, changes billing address and gets stuff shipped to his place in downtown Lagos where he'll never be pursued.

The code generator is certainly more secure than the code card, no question, but so is SMS-TAN, as used by BoI and PTSB (and rakes of banks outside Ireland). It's a matter of convenience to me...I hate code generators because it's always that one time you really want to do something that the generator is sitting at home on your desk. With SMS-TAN you'll almost certainly have your mobile with you and can do whatever it is you need to.

AIB aren't the only bank to stick to code generators of course, but they are a real turn off for me. I'm mobile in 2013. I want my internet banking to be mobile as well. I can set up a VPN from my smartphone to my home network if I'm on an untrusted public network and conduct my banking as if I was at home, so code generators that stay at home are not exactly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

The code generator is certainly more secure than the code card, no question, but so is SMS-TAN, as used by BoI and PTSB (and rakes of banks outside Ireland). It's a matter of convenience to me...I hate code generators because it's always that one time you really want to do something that the generator is sitting at home on your desk. With SMS-TAN you'll almost certainly have your mobile with you and can do whatever it is you need to.

AIB aren't the only bank to stick to code generators of course, but they are a real turn off for me. I'm mobile in 2013. I want my internet banking to be mobile as well. I can set up a VPN from my smartphone to my home network if I'm on an untrusted public network and conduct my banking as if I was at home, so code generators that stay at home are not exactly great.

Completely agree. It is the main reason I am planning to shut my aib account this week, so sick of card reader and code card inconvenience :mad: The secondary reason is fees.

Advertisement