Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nikon Raw

• 18-10-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Apologies to Mods if this is in the wrong section.

Right, I've owned a DSLR for the last three years or so , it took me a year or so to get out of auto and after another year (ish) I started shooting in RAW which my version of PS couldn't read so I had to use the Adobe DNG workaround. I used this for ages but found it a pain in the ass as I had to convert everything before I could open them on the laptop for review.

I've only recently discovered NX2 from Nikon where I can review, adjust exposure, adjust white balance and contrast etc before saving as a TIFF to open in PS. I'm just wondering is this the correct thing to do or am I losing anything by doing this rather than my old RAW to DNG to PS method, what does anyone else do? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Raw opens in photobridge and from there directly into photoshop.

Also picassa can open RAW for general browsing of the images

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭topazkk

Thanks for that, what I'm wondering has anyone had any experience of adjustments to raw using only NX2 as opposed to photoshop. Internet search brought me to one site suggesting that NX2 being Nikon software deals with RAW files from Nikon cameras a lot better that any other image editor. :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I use NX2 all the time. Then save to TIFF for loading to PS Elements.

I like NX2 and because of it's limited functionality it's very easy to use. Only a fraction of the sliders you'll find in Lightroom. But I find it very effective for what it does. I'll probably move to Lightroom eventually though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭asark

You can install codec and view RAW files in Windows Explorer in thumbnails just like JPEGs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭asark

google "nikon raw NEF windows explorer" to get the codec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

asark wrote: »
    google "nikon raw NEF windows explorer" to get the codec

http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

asark wrote: »
    You can install codec and view RAW files in Windows Explorer in thumbnails just like JPEGs etc.

Never knew this - I hate the way Picasa adjusts the RAW files.

Advertisement