Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma like symptoms in toddler?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask bit I just wondering if anyone has had this issue.
    My little boy is 34 months old and in the last year has had three incidents of his oxygen level dropping and needing to bring him to hospital. They put him on an inhaler and a couple of times I've had to give him 10-20 puffs (on the advice of doctors in the hospital) as he gets really breathless and lips turn blue!
    I'm basically wondering of there's anything anyone has used like special sheets on the bed or oils to burn in the house to help his chest?
    It's not medical advice I'm looking for just natural ways I could try.

Edit:
    Just to add the doctors say it's more than likely asthma but he's too young to be diagnosed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just a few things -it is scary watching your child struggling to breathe -
    try and stay calm,or he'll be more inclined to panic.

Make sure that all rooms are well ventilated.With modern heating systems in homes today,there is a tendency for the air to be very/too dry.
    When heating is on,ensure you have a humidifier near radiators.

The most obvious question is whether there are any irritants contributing to his problem.
    Ie: dust,pets-the most obvious being smoking.
    You might need to change washing detergents,perhaps.
    It is usually a case of trial and error,changing one thing at a time,seeing whether it makes a difference.

Take a look at his diet.
    Try and ensure that you use as many natural foods as possible.
    Is there a family history of allergies?To dairy even?

Lastly-check that your inhaler technique is perfect-even on television,most people have a really inadequate technique.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Lola18 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask bit I just wondering if anyone has had this issue.
    My little boy is 34 months old and in the last year has had three incidents of his oxygen level dropping and needing to bring him to hospital. They put him on an inhaler and a couple of times I've had to give him 10-20 puffs (on the advice of doctors in the hospital) as he gets really breathless and lips turn blue!
    I'm basically wondering of there's anything anyone has used like special sheets on the bed or oils to burn in the house to help his chest?
    It's not medical advice I'm looking for just natural ways I could try.

Edit:
    Just to add the doctors say it's more than likely asthma but he's too young to be diagnosed.

Is he using an inhaler mask? It might help (just on the earlier point on inhaler technique).

Light exercise - given his age probably doesn't need to be said. An aromatherapist should be able to recommend oils. And if humidifiers are out, glasses of water by the rads help keep the air moist.

With the attacks, teach him that they aren't to be feared. The longer it takes to calm him the harder the attack will be. Keep those around him (if it happens in public people tend to react badly) calm.

You can get hypoallergenic pillows and duvets in dunnes I think.

Hope it settles soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Get rid of any fluffy toys etc. There are good anti-dustmite matress covers you can buy, sorry no link at the moment, that you basically zip up the matress inside of. Wash his bed clothes in non-bio at 60oC every week. We were advised to reduce dairy intake. Does he use a preventer inhaler? Again check his technique and use the baby spacer inhaler device?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

We had a similar experience and it turned out to be a sensitivity to cow based milk products. We switched him to goats milk and he's been much better since. Might be worth a shot to eliminate cow derived dairy fir a few days and see how you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Poor little thing.

+1 on what The Princess Bride said. My nephew was looking asthma-like at that age, they had 2 cats and a dog. Turned out to be pet hair he was reacting to. Pets had to go. Detergents, dust, smoking all can have an impact. Sometimes it's natural fibers like wool in carpets or clothes. Polyesters and other man-made materials can be easier to tolerate.

It's hard to blindly eliminate things though, because it can take ages for changes to make any difference. See if you can get on the waiting list for allergy testing at the hospital. If they can pinpoint it from a blood test, it makes it easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

My ds has to stay off cows milk or he is like that. Could never take formula, terrible nappies, so no yogarts, cheese or ice cream or cows milk. He is mostly fine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lynski wrote: »
    My ds has to stay off cows milk or he is like that. Could never take formula, terrible nappies, so no yogarts, cheese or ice cream or cows milk. He is mostly fine
    you'll probably find that he's fine with goats milk.

Our son had exactly the same symptoms. doctors didn't spot it was milk related and we didn't know any better. A friend of my wife's mentioned switching to goats milk and he came on in leaps and bounds after that.

Apparently a lot of people who have lactose intolerance are only intolerant of cow lactose. Seems odd, but I've heard it from several people since finding out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Be careful with Goats milk and only try a little bit not sure why but I am more allergic to it then cows milk,my 2 year old can take milk now since she turned 2 but could not even get it on her hands before that.
    Vicks can help a bit too as can Karvol or Olbas oil and put a pillow or something under the top of his mattress so he sleeps at a bit of an elevation.

Advertisement