Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know if there is an adopt a grandparent type situation in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

It might sound like a ridiculous question, but my children have no grandparents on either side and I often feel like they're missing out on what my own grandparents gave to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

irltom wrote: »

It might sound like a ridiculous question, but my children have no grandparents on either side and I often feel like they're missing out on what my own grandparents gave to me.

I volunteered with Big Brother/Big Sister for a year and at that time there was an older lady (more like a granny than a big sister) hoping to be matched up with a young person.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

What about contacting a local senior citizens group or perhaps a local neighbour? i havent heard of exacly what you are looking for. good luck with your search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Is there any Active Retirement groups in your area? They might be able to point you in the right direction.

Age Action Ireland have been developing the intergeneration aspect to their services. there might be something on their website: http://www.ageaction.ie/generations-together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Would you volunteer to visit the elderly? SVdeP are always looking for volunteers. I was planning to contact them soon and see if there are any elderly people who may like a visit from someone with a baby. My son does have grandparents (who I wouldn't really consider elderly yet, they are all still working etc) but I'm a stay at home mum so have the time and I thought it might be a nice thing to do, for both sides.

As I said, I'm only starting to look into it but maybe it could be an option for you too?

Advertisement