Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub for .22

Options
  • 18-10-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hello i am getting sick of my single shot weihrauch hw97k.Can i get a straight sub for a Ruger 10/22?Also they are online in america with the standard stock for 200-300 dollar how much for a second hand one here?thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

http://www.crescentsports.ie/index.php/guns-for-sale

Heres a few choices, new and S/H

Shot a few factory spec 10/22's, bit of crack. I started out on a .22 semi as a young lad myself but for accuracy out of the box and a good all rounder I would be bias towards the Brno / CZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

http://www.crescentsports.ie/index.php/guns-for-sale

Heres a few choices, new and S/H

Shot a few factory spec 10/22's, bit of crack. I started out on a .22 semi as a young lad myself but for accuracy out of the box and a good all rounder I would be bias towards the Brno / CZ.

The 10/22 can be customized alot so thats why id be going for that and its around 400 from the link u gave me... a cz 452 looks like a nice gun but might be too pricey.

Also have to get the go ahead from the parents also one of them has a licence for my .22

1shot16 wrote: »
    The 10/22 can be customized alot so thats why id be going for that and its around 400 from the link u gave me... a cz 452 looks like a nice gun but might be too pricy

If your thing will be customizing then the 10/22 is the Barbie Doll of the 22 world, but you will spend a lot of money doing so.
    If I am correct in thinking, from reading other treads, to get a accurate target rifle you will end up swapping out 90% of the rifle by the time you are finished......

Id just be putting on a archangel stock.Wont be swapping out barrel etc.Would it be accurate out to 70/80 yards anyone own one?

The cz 452 is growing on me but would i get one for 400-450 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Read this thread if you're interested in those stocks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76328290

• Advertisement

Archangel stocks do look assault rifle looking... a bolt action cz would suit better in this case.Also the bolt can be stored seperate to the rifle in the gun safe

The degree of accuracy is relative to particular use ie target shooting or hunting. If you want one hole accuracy then you will need to spend cash. If you want to burst bunnies and crows etc then a factory 10/22 will do the job no problem out to those ranges and beyound.
    I'm not the best to talk to about 10/22 as I don't own one, also if you read some other threads I've commented on about 22's I belive that real time hunting is restricted to 100 yards and below due to ballistics.

You should be able to pick up a cheep CZ out there, price will depend on the bling fitted such as scopes etc. There's a lot of firearms coming up for sale do to the recession, be patient and keep an eye out.

PS
    If your waining towards the 10/22, why not look at a .17, ups your quarry to include foxs as well as your range.

The degree of accuracy is relative to particular use ie target shooting or hunting. If you want one hole accuracy then you will need to spend cash. If you want to burst bunnies and crows etc then a factory 10/22 will do the job no problem out to those ranges and beyound.
    I'm not the best to talk to about 10/22 as I don't own one, also if you read some other threads I've commented on about 22's I belive that real time hunting is restricted to 100 yards and below due to ballistics.

You should be able to pick up a cheep CZ out there, price will depend on the bling fitted such as scopes etc. There's a lot of firearms coming up for sale do to the recession, be patient and keep an eye out.

PS
    If your waining towards the 10/22, why not look at a .17, ups your quarry to include foxs as well as your range.

Patience im not in a huge rush wont be using it much till next spring.Mabye have something sorted at Christmas halloween at the earliest have to send in my parents sub and then mine once theres is got.

17hmr loud and ammo aint cheap

525 rounds is 35-45 euro for .22lr youd only get 100-150 17hmr rounds for that and i would be shooting more than 100 yards atm

Would a .22lr silenced be very quiet?also using sub sonic ammo?same as a air rifle?All help appreciated lads :)

I have two set ups, both Brnos .22 -

Light weight fitted with : scope 3-9 x 40 (zeroed at 50m), mod, 5 rnd mags, shooting LV hollow points.

Heavier fitted with (its the kit that make it heavier): scope 6-24 x 50 (zeroed at 50m), bipod, mod, 5 rnd mag, shooting LV hollow points. (have dope sheet for both HV & LV)

I always use LV hollow points for hunting and have done so for many many years. Very effective and very quiet in the field.

I use the value pack HV mainly for informal target shooting (out to 150m onto steal and clays)

I have two set ups, both Brnos .22 -

Light weight fitted with : scope 3-9 x 40 (zeroed at 50m), mod, 5 rnd mags, shooting LV hollow points.

Heavier fitted with (its the kit that make it heavier): scope 6-24 x 50 (zeroed at 50m), bipod, mod, 5 rnd mag, shooting LV hollow points. (have dope sheet for both HV & LV)

I always use LV hollow points for hunting and have done so for many many years. Very effective and very quiet in the field.

I use the value pack HV mainly for informal target shooting (out to 150m onto steal and clays)

Can you get LV in bulk pack of 500?

A cz 452/3/5 all fit what im looking for as well as the bruno.

Moving from a single shot 12ftlb air rifle to a .22lr is a big enough leap for any 16 year old.Good thing i practiced safety making sure safe backstop etc so it comes natural to me now!Fired over 2,000 so i c no problem for me to own a .22lr at this age if im safety conscious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

You can buy all cci ammo in blocks of 500 or even 1000, 500 Cci Standard velocity Maximum €45 great standard ammo, 10/22s love them, Well worth the extra tenner for them over the federal bulk!!

Buy a 10/22 you wont regret it, Great fun gun and not as inaccurate as people think!! plus side being if you get bored with a synthetic stock you can swap it in seconds same goes for all parts!!

I had a CZ bolt and yeah it was a good gun but not half as much craic as a 10/22

You could even look up the latest model take down varient,. Even cooler than the average stock model!!

cw67irl wrote: »
    You can buy all cci ammo in blocks of 500 or even 1000, 500 Cci Standard velocity Maximum €45 great standard ammo, 10/22s love them, Well worth the extra tenner for them over the federal bulk!!

Buy a 10/22 you wont regret it, Great fun gun and not as inaccurate as people think!! plus side being if you get bored with a synthetic stock you can swap it in seconds same goes for all parts!!

I had a CZ bolt and yeah it was a good gun but not half as much craic as a 10/22

You could even look up the latest model take down varient,. Even cooler than the average stock model!!

Hmm i can take the bolt out of a bolt action to make it unusable to unauthorized person if they were to get access to the safe.

10/22 would be cool but bolt action is just more practical and id have no ammo left within a day with a semi auto.Bolt actions are pretty sexy

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Are you planning on getting rid of your hw97k? Think about it again before you do.

I too own a hw97k but i wouldnt give it away in a fit. You can have a lot of fun with them and are suitable for shooting smaller vermin in areas where a .22 could be a potential risk. .22lr rounds can travel faster speeds and longer distance than any pellet fired by a 12ft/lbs air rifle.

But i am in a similar boat to you. I too wanted to get a faster shooting and more effective form of firmarm so i am days away from collecting my CZ 455 thumbhole varmint .22lr with sound moderator for €650. Its has a hawke digital nite eye scope on it and strap. All it needs is a bipod. Its a lot of money i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I would think you would get a nice little cz for around 300 second hand obviously.

And as far as I know you will have a few bits like scope bipod etc. so I couldn't imagine you haven to part with huge money.

Already have a harris swivel bipod and a nice allen sling.

I know 22lr is much more dangerous than a .22 air rifle but i need more distance than 30-40 yards for the same price really.an air rifle that matches a .22lr range is about 1000 euro then refilling the bottle etc.

cci quiet .22lr ammo seems very quiet in a suppressed .22 anyone try them?

The cz 455 is the successor to the 452 and came out a few years ago. The thumbhole varmint model i am getting is more expensive due to the stock and the heavier barrel designed for accuracy. I know i am paying a good bit but its has the backing of a registered firearms dealer and i know if i have any problems i can bring it back to him for help.

With regards to .22lr ammo, i am a novice in this department but hope to learn whats best over time. Sub-sonic is the way to go if you want to be quiet. I hear good things about a brand called Lapuea or something like that.

do you have a suppressor for yours?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Backfire wrote: »
    With regards to .22lr ammo, i am a novice in this department but hope to learn whats best over time.

You'll have to experiment to see what your rifle likes. What's good in one rifle could be terrible in another. It's a great excuse to spend more time shooting! :D
    I hear good things about a brand called Lapuea or something like that.

Lapua, Eley and RWS are the brands that do high quality .22 ammo that you can get in Ireland. Lapua's lower end stuff is sold under the SK brand and that's also available in Ireland. Here's how their match ammo lines up (more expensive at the top, cheaper at the bottom):

Eley|Lapua/SK|RWS
    |Lapua X-Act|
    Eley Tenex|Lapua Midas+|
    Eley Match|Lapua Center-X|RWS R50
    Eley Team||
    Eley Club|SK Rifle Match|
    Eley Sport|SK Standard Plus|

All of those will be subsonic. Some or all of them will do dedicated hunting rounds too, though I'm not sure of the quality or availability since I only shoot targets. I've seen a lot of CCI ammunition around too so that should be available to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have had good results on bunnies with Eley subsonic hollowpoints. Heard very good things about the Winchester subs but never used them myself. The Lapua/SK ones are meant to be good too.

do you have a suppressor for yours?

yes there is a suppressor coming with it. I dont know its manufacturer though.

thanks IRLConor for posting that info on the ammo. Its either Eley or Lapua that I will be purchasing for my rifle.

although I am getting 2 boxes of ammo with my rifle. My dealer just told me it will be sub-sonic ammo but I dont know what brand or how many will be in each box.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

thanks IRLConor for posting that info on the ammo. Its either Eley or Lapua that I will be purchasing for my rifle.

Don't discount RWS. Your rifle might like R50.

EDIT: Oh, and if you're using this rifle for rabbits and the like, don't buy Lapua X-Act. You'd be cheaper buying the rabbits!
    although I am getting 2 boxes of ammo with my rifle. My dealer just told me it will be sub-sonic ammo but I dont know what brand or how many will be in each box.

Boxes are usually 50 rounds each. Some of the CCI boxes are 100 rounds each.

CZ 452 American looks nice.

Any ideas on what would i get for a hw97k in .22 Gamo 3-9X40 3/4 years old

Paid 400 for it and was told if i was to trade it in the same condition id only lose 20% which is 320 but i has got a few nicks on the underlever and deep nicks eithier sides of the underlever catch but i added and underlever clamp and stock screw to it.Still dead on

Id say to be honest you would be lucky to get 200/220 trade in on it as he dealer will want to pay the minimum to try to maximise the profit on it!

What about selling it privately here?? You will almost always get a better deal on a gun if you go in with cash!!

cw67irl wrote: »
    Id say to be honest you would be lucky to get 200/220 trade in on it as he dealer will want to pay the minimum to try to maximise the profit on it!

What about selling it privately here?? You will almost always get a better deal on a gun if you go in with cash!!

Hardly on a gun thats 550 brand new 3 years ago.300 would be the lowest id take unless i got a CZ 452 American cheap.

For that id keep it but tbh i want to get rid of it wouldnt want to just want to sell it to a dealer.

The only way to find out is bing it into a dealer tell him what you want and see what he will offer. You never know what he might say.

The only way to find out is bing it into a dealer tell him what you want and see what he will offer. You never know what he might say.

Ill have to have another 200-250 saved in case i only get offer 250 for the gun.

If i sell it and buy a .22 rifle a week or 2 weeks later can i still sub it in?How do subs work?Need a sub because theres 2 licenced holders for the gun and dont want to got through the whole process again of applying and 2 licences that need to be payed when i can sub..22 rifle for .22 rifle?

Bottom line need a few bob saved before i even think about bring it in.

Sometimes dealers can be slow enough to take in air rifles, even the good ones by Weihrauch. They have to consider how easy will it be to re-sell it. I don't think air rifles are as common as rifles or shotguns and thus less demand.

Well i am speaking from an above board, licensed perspective. I've heard of people having air rifles without any licenses, presumedly being smuggled in from the UK on the boat, hidden in cars. Air rifles are more common in the uk as you dont need a license for one if its 12ft/lbs power or less. My 97k is licensed of course :)

I assume you prefer a sporter stock since you mentioned the cz 452 american. Take a look at the 455 american. Lovely looking gun, harder to find 2nd hand and probably cost more though. My local dealer had a 452 .22lr with scope and suppressor for €450 or thereabouts, but its sold now.

Sometimes dealers can be slow enough to take in air rifles, even the good ones by Weihrauch. They have to consider how easy will it be to re-sell it. I don't think air rifles are as common as rifles or shotguns and thus less demand.

Well i am speaking from an above board, licensed perspective. I've heard of people having air rifles without any licenses, presumedly being smuggled in from the UK on the boat, hidden in cars. Air rifles are more common in the uk as you dont need a license for one if its 12ft/lbs power or less. My 97k is licensed of course :)

Yeah but they are handy for around farms etc.Not going to be using a rifle or shotgun in a barn.

Yeah but they are handy for around farms etc.Not going to be using a rifle or shotgun in a barn.

No well you shouldn't anyway.

Its takes noting to bring a gun in and your not committing to anything either your getting a feeler to what its gonna make. No harm in it.

I think now I'm not 100% but I think two weeks after is when you can sub it. But the question is after what.

If you trade it in its a sub straight away. Then if you pick a gun you just send I. All the info. That's what I done and it all worked out fine.

• Advertisement

Thats assuming your FO will allow you to sub an Air rifle for a 22lr, There have been instances where they wouldnt allow it go straight over so it was a case of cancelling and reapplying!!

Just be prepared in case it comes to that!!

Advertisement