Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub for .22

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

cw67irl wrote: »
    Thats assuming your FO will allow you to sub an Air rifle for a 22lr, There have been instances where they wouldnt allow it go straight over so it was a case of cancelling and reapplying!!

Just be prepared in case it comes to that!!

Yeah wouldnt be getting my guardian to pay 80 then 80 for me again as the super insisted a guardian to have a licence.

Should be straight sub it was treated like a .22 rifle when licensed so i should be allowed sub for a .22lr rifle

If not its complete bull as it says like for like ".22 rifle" on the licence for .22 rifle.

Would it be a straight swap for a .22 air pistol and .22lr?

How to find out dont want to sell my .22 air rifle put a deposit down for a .22lr find out my guardian has to re apply for a full pay 80 for them then me and end up paying another 160 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

You will have to check with the FO if they will allow you a sub from the weihrauch to a 22lr

cw67irl wrote: »
    You will have to check with the FO if they will allow you a sub from the weihrauch to a 22lr

I never mentioned it being an air rifle on the application and on the licence i just mentioned it as rifle.He rang to say a guardian needed a licence too and written consent from both guardians to say i can posses a firearm even though we said it was an ar rifle and not rifle he said its all the same licencing wise.

They wouldnt know if the gun was an air rifle by the make as weihrauch do .17hmr rifles and 22lr rifles i believe hw66j?.Id doubt they would know a shotgun from rifle anyway or what was a stock or barrel :rolleyes: :P

Might ask just incase.Is it up to the FO or Super?

If i need to reapply so will my gaurdian most likely which means another 160 euro which wont be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

It will have stated what type of firearm it was on the fca application, Ie a semi auto 22 pistol or bolt action rifle or in your case an underlever air rifle!!

Its classed as a firearm but its also classed as an air rifle.

If you ring your FO they should be able to clarify if they will a straight sub or a cancel and reapply.

At least that way if they say you cant sub you can forget about it or if you can you can start to investigate a 22lr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

1shot16 wrote: »
    I never mentioned it being an air rifle on the application and on the licence i just mentioned it as rifle

FCA1 Section 3;

You should have specified air gun and air rifle as the sub type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

They wouldnt know if the gun was an air rifle by the make as weihrauch do .17hmr rifles and 22lr rifles i believe hw66j?.Id doubt they would know a shotgun from rifle anyway or what was a stock or barrel :rolleyes: :P

Don't be so sure, yes some of the FO's are not up to speed on firearms etc, BUT many have been doing thier jobs along time while many others are shooters themselves. It is easier to correct a mistake or error made on the behalf of the Garda than one made by a applicant.

Blay wrote: »
    FCA1 Section 3;

You should have specified air gun and air rifle as the sub type.

Yea as sub type it shouldnt be that specific just what cal and shotgun ,rifle or pistol,Then u shouldn't be allowed swap bolt action for a semi auto etc.

Also not underlever i ticked single shot.
    Don't be so sure, yes some of the FO's are not up to speed on firearms etc, BUT many have been doing thier jobs along time while many others are shooters themselves. It is easier to correct a mistake or error made on the behalf of the Garda than one made by a applicant.

Probally 4 or 5 gaurds know their stuff in the countryand 10 or 20 have a fair idea with the rest knowing f all other than its a gun and thinking why would anyone need one.I got 200 rounds on my licence tins are sold in 500 how is that meant to work?logic :rolleyes:

Hopefully i can sub it in otherwise its a scam money wise as 160 euro just to change (2 licences me and guardian) whats on the licence is a .22 rifle and what i want is a .22 rifle.My guardian shouldnt of even needed a licence its not like the FO said they have to accompany me or anything. Theyd do anything for an extra 80 quid for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Probally 4 or 5 gaurds know their stuff in the countryand 10 or 20 have a fair idea with the rest knowing f all other than its a gun and thinking why would anyone need one.I got 200 rounds on my licence tins are sold in 500 how is that meant to work?logic :rolleyes:

Hopefully i can sub it in otherwise its a scam money wise as 160 euro just to ch....................................................

Apologies, I couldn't be arsed quoting the rest of you

Firstly, I'm not the law here
    But I think you should show a bit of humility and respect to the powers that be and stop ranting.
    Cos your 16 and know **** all yourself.

No one has a divine right to own a firearm in this country and its at your super's discretion whether to grant or not. And you'll be surprised at how much FO's know when they're doing their job day in day out.

You've got a lot of misinformation and ideology and like the rest of the lads here I'm not trying to knock ya, just trying to learn ya.

OP, Chill out a bit.
    The law in some parts is 'an ass' but it is the law.

Firstly if you firearm is not correctly identified as a air rifle then you have the standard amount of ammunition that is granted to most .22 owners.

Secoundly I must know all of the Garda who have a clue about firearms that you refer to, that's between my own local FO (over 25 doing that job), my brother in law, my good friend who was FO in another district (who always likes to know the ins and outs of his job) and finally the two Garda myself and my father used to shoot with.......

Can I clarify something and I understand if you may not want to go into great detail. Do you actually own the firearm in the eyes of the law or do you have a training cert or secound license on it?
    This may have an impact on your sub and the cost of new license (I stress 'may', others here will know better).

Some one with better and sound knowledge may be able to give the OP advice and direction.......

cookimonster have a full licence... like for like sub is a bit vague then.

And yeah i dont know it all... although i dont have the right to own one theres no reason why is shouldnt be granted one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I haven't read through all the thread so excuse the questions.

You say you did not tick air rifle/air gun in the appropriate section when applying? What does your license state?

My reason for asking is if you have not got the correct license, technically you are not licensed for the gun you own. By that i mean if you did not tick air rifle, and the gun went through as a .22lr then you have a license that allows you to own a .22lr not an air rifle, and when buying ammo you can buy .22lr ammo, but not pellets as you have no license for it.

I own a .22 & .17 but legally i have no license for an air gun so cannot buy pellets.

Secondly the sub should be straight forward so don't get too worked up about it. apply for it as a sub, if that doesn't go through then decide if you want to go for it by having to pay for new licenses again.

However the issue with your license can/could be an issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

cookimonster have a full licence... like for like sub is a bit vague then..........

Then as Cass posted there should be no problem with a sub if all the paper work is well......

Even with two separate licenses on the firearm there should be no problem, if memory serves me right the subject of subing a rifle came up in relation to two brothers being licensed on the same rifle, have a trawl for it. I think one party initiates the procedures and the other follows....... Any one jump in and qualify this.

Cass wrote: »
    I haven't read through all the thread so excuse the questions.

You say you did not tick air rifle/air gun in the appropriate section when applying? What does your license state?

My reason for asking is if you have not got the correct license, technically you are not licensed for the gun you own. By that i mean if you did not tick air rifle, and the gun went through as a .22lr then you have a license that allows you to own a .22lr not an air rifle, and when buying ammo you can buy .22lr ammo, but not pellets as you have no license for it.

I own a .22 & .17 but legally i have no license for an air gun so cannot buy pellets.

Going over the licence im sure i ticked "airgun" its just that it says rifle on the licence and being told the licences are the same for rifle and air rifle got me a bit confused.

Best to ask before i commit to buy or send it in in the hope all goes well???

Dealer said straight swap.

Mabye if i chance not asking agree on a price for my gun let him store it away and agree price on the new gun if im not allowed i get my gun back if all goes well pay the difference?
    Cass wrote: »
    Secondly the sub should be straight forward so don't get too worked up about it. apply for it as a sub, if that doesn't go through then decide if you want to go for it by having to pay for new licenses again.

However the issue with your license can/could be an issue.

I dont want to commit that means 160 in already and 80 for me again and mabye another 80 if FO insists my guardian get a licence,Thats 320 euro in the last 6 months if i cant get a sub.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Going over the licence im sure i ticked "airgun" its just that it says rifle on the licence and being told the licences are the same for rifle and air rifle got me a bit confused.
    They are the same in that an air rifle needs a firearms license like a fullbore rifle, shotgun, etc. However it is important to distinguish aqnd identify exactly what rifle you have when applying.

If you did not say it was an air rifle, then you may be on PULSE as having a normal .22 rifle. IOW not licensed for the gun you have. I would contact your FO, ask them to check PULSE then use an FCA2 to amend any errors.
    I dont want to commit that means 160 in already and 80 for me again and mabye another 80 if FO insists my guardian get a licence,Thats 320 euro in the last 6 months if i cant get a sub.
    A substitution can be done if your current rifle, and the one you want are:
    • Bolt action
    • Unrestricted
    • Rifles
    • Similar/same caliber.

When sorting out the details of your license ask your FO about the sub and s/he will tell you outright if it can be done. Problem sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement