Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Water Pressure Pump

Options
  • 18-10-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Over the past few months my water pressure pump has been cutting out, sometimes it starts working itself and sometimes I have to get up into the attic to reset it for it too work properly again.

The pressure in the house is really terrible without it working. I just wondering has anyone any knowledge/advice with this pump - Watertech , Ecopress.

I have attached a few pics of the pump and as you can see the water is quiet hard in my area (no water softener yet) and was wondering is this the cause of the cutouts.

null_zpsdd6acdac.jpg

null_zpsd667ff31.jpg

null_zps448e6ea6.jpg

null_zps2e6b77a4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You have one of two problems, either the controller is on the blink or the windings in the pump are breaking down. Either one is a replacement job.
    I would change the controller first as its the cheaper part, if thats not it then its onto the pump. Controllers go fairly regularly so the replacement wont go to waste or use you could use it on the new pump.
    Hope that helps.
    P.s. I don't think the switch should be mounted to the tank cover like that, I think it should be away from the tank in case of contact with water. A sparks might clarify it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Sorry to raise a 9 month old thread. I have the exact same pump in my attic and after a weeks holiday I come home and the pressure in the house is lousy. When I flush toilet or run water I don't hear the pump coming on. Just wondering what I should check if anything or just get a plumber? Cheers.

OP, what did you do after all, replace pump? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Check whats coming up on controler.

Most problems are controler related. Except the capacitor which is in the pump. And not changeable.

When you reset is the pump doing anything

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Check whats coming up on controler.

Most problems are controler related. Except the capacitor which is in the pump. And not changeable.

When you reset is the pump doing anything

Cheers corkgsxr. The 'pump on' light is always on, as is the 'power on' button obviously. When I hit restart, it's humming but not like before when I could hear the pump really working. This hums for about 10 seconds. A couple of times as i observe things while running water & flushing, the black switch (I assume is a trip switch) on the switch box, trips. The pump is humming randomly now every few mins, but not pumping like before and the 'pump on' light is still on. Cheers.

Edit: I just realised there may have been a leak with a trickle of water running into the toilet over the last week. I've stopped that now and the 'pump on' light isn't on anymore, yet the pressure is still low. i.e pump ain't working right.

Sounds like a capacitor to me. Its a quiet hum? Not at all like a pump going?

Thats a new pump. Dripping toilets are murder for killing them

• Advertisement

Balls , yes it's a quiet hum and not like a pump is running.

Seems our whole neighbourhood have problems with dripping toilets. Cheap parts installed. I wouldn't mind as much but the tanks/cisterns are installed behind a wall panel which we've tiled all around, so it's a bitch to get at.

Thanks for the info.

Hums for 5-10 seconds then the board goes to reset? Thats a capacitor.

Easy test. Take the wires out of the board for the pump. Plug them into a extension or socket. If the pump runs its the control board. If not its the pump.

its not necessarily cheap parts. The torbec valves weren't cheap but a very bad offender. They just go very slow to fill. The standard valve the rubber goes hard and goes slow to fill.

There just not designed for toilets. Or a expansion vessel should be fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kerryplumber

Is the capacitor not inside that grey switch box for those pumps. I could be wrong!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kerryplumber

Is the capacitor not inside that grey switch box for those pumps. I could be wrong!!!!!

Hums for 5-10 seconds then the board goes to reset? Thats a capacitor.

Easy test. Take the wires out of the board for the pump. Plug them into a extension or socket. If the pump runs its the control board. If not its the pump.

its not necessarily cheap parts. The torbec valves weren't cheap but a very bad offender. They just go very slow to fill. The standard valve the rubber goes hard and goes slow to fill.

There just not designed for toilets. Or a expansion vessel should be fitted

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. There are two exp vessels in my attic, I'm not sure if they are both piped into the heating system but both have pipes running into the hot press. Anyway thanks again.

• Advertisement

Yes, I just had a look, there's a big capacitor in the switch box. I'll check it with a multimeter.

The acuabox its usually in the pump. Iv never seen them in the controller

Edit. These seem to be wired different to iv seen. Its done more like a deep well pump.
    If the capacitors can be changed how bad there cheap

Great, I tested the capacitor, 16uF was measuring 5uF. Replaced it, pump working fine. I'll have to do something about the intermittent dripping toilets might get an external cistern set up. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. Very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pump101

Great, I tested the capacitor, 16uF was measuring 5uF. Replaced it, pump working fine. I'll have to do something about the intermittent dripping toilets might get an external cistern set up. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice. Very much appreciated!

A small pressure vessel will ensure the pump does not cycle if you have small drips or leaks. Just tee in a 12ltr vessel after the pump controller. Drips will kill any pump that doesnt have some reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Lads
    Having a similar issue to most, if my issue is a capacitor/ control board is there any stockist for these pumps/ parts round Dublin that I could try on Monday.

Second question what's the benefits of these pumps over the likes of neg head monsoon/grunfos. Is it cost or something else. I understand these are like submersible type pumps where as the other type rely on water to fall into them.

Better flow rates. Cheaper too. Quieter

IF my power light is on and pump run light is on is this still a possible capacitor problem as the pump is not making any noise.

cubix wrote: »
    Lads
    Having a similar issue to most, if my issue is a capacitor/ control board is there any stockist for these pumps/ parts round Dublin that I could try on Monday.

P.M. sent.

Thanks K.Flyer, couldn't get through to Flowpumps today but sourced a capacitor elsewhere. Glad I found this thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hey, im also sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have the exact same pump as OP.

A workman was in the attic and he said..."your pump comes on too much" !! Ive never really noticed it tbh, last night, it was coming on every 7 mins for say, 5 seconds. Looked on old threads for tips, ive checked for dripping toilets/taps...went up to attic and cant see any leaks....anything else I can look out for? Pump is working fine.

Cheers
    Wac

• Advertisement

Have you checked the ball-cock in the toilet cisterns. Even the smallest drip can cause the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Have you checked the ball-cock in the toilet cisterns. Even the smallest drip can cause the problem.

Agree 100%, the tiniest drip does it, hard to detect with the modern ball cock.
    K, can u pm me the pump repairs details pls referred to earlier Tks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Have you checked the ball-cock in the toilet cisterns..

ive even got up at 3am and looked into the toilet pot with a torch to see if there are any drips!! how would I check the ball-cock? I can take the top of but what then?

thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The way I find best to find these problems is to isolate the different items that may be a problem.

For the loo, take off the lid and GENTLY tie up the b/cock so as the valve is 100% shut, better if u have a penny valve on it.
    Don't know what sort of kit or setup u have but is there a blue or white pressure vessel anywhere that may have lost pressure.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chef D

Ok so mine just wont shut off. Came on a 3am one morning. Its one week now - no leaks anywhere.
    I have to climb up every morn and eve before and after turning on the shower and taps.

chef D wrote: »
    Ok so mine just wont shut off. Came on a 3am one morning. Its one week now - no leaks anywhere.
    I have to climb up every morn and eve before and after turning on the shower and taps.

Replace the controller most likely.

If you can shut it off after the pump on the water line and it won't stop that's the controller.

But it would most likely go on and off of it was something running or leaking

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chef D

Thanks, Just to be sure - the controller is the blue box right ? I replaced the white Power switch box last year !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a related problem.

I have a submersible pump installed in 2008 with the same controller - Ecopress as pictured in post #1.

The system works OK most of the time, but on occasion, the pump runs continuously with no water being drawn. I suspect that it is due to a small leak somewhere, but I cannot see it. Now, it occurs when there is heat in the attic (I think) or when a very small amount of water is taken - like just a few drops. Otherwise, it works properly.

Now, if I turn it off for a while, and then turn it back on, it turns on for a short while and turns off. However, when a shower or a tap is turned off, the pump runs for a much longer time before turning off. I do not know if that is relevant.

Now there is a white pressure vessel installed that may or not be functioning correctly.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I don't know anything about those pumps, but -seeing as it's a simple job- I'd check the pressure in the expansion vessel. Turn off power to the pump, open a connected tap to let off the pressure and check the vessel with a gauge.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I'll try that. The pressure be 3 bar I think. Is that right.

Advertisement