Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pitt bros

Options
  • 18-10-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Any one tryed that new place on dame street pitt bros? any comments on the place? its like a BBQ style restaurant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

My brother went the other day. Said the food was delish. He got a proper pulled pork sandwich on a bun. I'm going on Tuesday with some friends so try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is it not on Georges St? Or is there another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

wyndham wrote: »
    Is it not on Georges St? Or is there another one?
    Ya my bad its georges st, was there last night with missus, id defo recommend this place, was pretty busy, I got brisket and 2 sides for 13 odd euro, great feed at a reasonable prise. Food was delicious, will be back there again. Oh and every one gets a free ice cream cone after dinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Think it's run by the Bison bar folks and looks like the same menu, just with ice crem

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

EyeSight wrote: »
    Think it's run by the Bison bar folks and looks like the same menu, just with ice crem

It's being run by the guys behind Burritos and Blues and a few other places but not Bison.

The menu is exactly the same as Bison, I wouldn't think they're too happy about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

We tried it the other week. The first time we tried, they had everybody queueing on the street even though there was no-one at the tables inside. We got sick of waiting and left. We tried again a couple of days later. It was just ok. I had chicken and it was so dry, it just stuck to the roof of my mouth. It was a bit weird. My boyfriend had the brisket, again said it was alright but he left some of it and he hardly ever does that! I don't think we'll be making a return visit..

humberklog wrote: »
    It's being run by the guys behind Burritos and Blues and a few other places but not Bison.

The menu is exactly the same as Bison, I wouldn't think they're too happy about that.

seriously? :eek: wow that's kind of rough to steal their menu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness, bbq is bbq, you can't really go outside the chicken, pulled pork, brisket, ribs, sausage circle.

That said, the menu does seem to have been lifted, prices, sides etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

humberklog wrote: »

This review is so painfully hipster I don't know if the guy is being serious or sarcastic!
    Kitchen towel on the table is something that was unique and quirky in other places like Bison but it just feels like yet another tired copy in here.

Now I’m sure Neon copied that from somewhere else themselves but offering the exact thing a couple of hundred yards down the road feels cheap and tacky.

Personally speaking I’ll be going to Bison or somewhere else that is more original. Eating here would be like buying the fake Gucci bag in Thailand.

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    This review is so painfully hipster I don't know if the guy is being serious or sarcastic!

Agree fully. I'm very wary of blogs, I'd usually never read them. I've a picture in my head of this blogger getting sauce in his Antartic exolorers style beard.

I only happened upon it as I like to keep up with businesses on that street and the arcade as I work ou of there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ate there twice. First time I had the pulled pork and it was delish. Second time I had the ribs and I found them bland, if I was there again I would not get the ribs.

I agree and disagree. I totally agree that they basically ripped off one restaurants menu and another's gimmick of the 99 cone and located between them both. It's such a blatant copy of Bisons menu it's embarrassing, they could have changed it up even a little!
    Due to this i would also not go to Pitts just because i feel it's unfair on Bison.

But the reviewer was quite hipster. I've seen the kitchen towel on table thing and spaghetti can thing done in loads of other places

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think, in my opinion, Bison is better. Had the pulled pork and brisket in both and bison won on both fronts, still haven't had the ribs in either as they were both sold out the times I've tried them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

EyeSight wrote: »
    I agree and disagree. I totally agree that they basically ripped off one restaurants menu and another's gimmick of the 99 cone and located between them both. It's such a blatant copy of Bisons menu it's embarrassing, they could have changed it up even a little!
    Due to this i would also not go to Pitts just because i feel it's unfair on Bison.

But the reviewer was quite hipster. I've seen the kitchen towel on table thing and spaghetti can thing done in loads of other places

In fairness all I can see is that they have the same meats, some of the sides and the basic pricing. But really I think it's like with all these burrito places - they offer the same options but really where it comes from is probably some San Francisco place they ripped off more than each other!

But really I think it's like with all these burrito places - they offer the same options but really where it comes from is probably some San Francisco place they ripped off more than each other!

Bujoom, Pablo Picante etc are all just a ripoff of Chipotle/Moe's, yeah, you're right there in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have been to Pitt Bros twice the food is quite tasty but serving sizes I have found small with nowhere near enough meat in each serving.

On my second visit it took two servings to fill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Went there once and food was average with a long wait time. Mate's burger was dire. Charred meatball rather than a burger. They really seems to treat the meat rougher than a dominatrix at the top of her game.

Popped in yesterday at about 5p.m. while it was quiet.

Went for a combo meal of 1 main (ribs) and 2 sides (slaw and onion rings) and a bottle of Boston beer.

Nice service even if the ordering at the counter, paying and then sitting down to have it served to you is more than a little clunky.

I don't like big portions so the sizes suited me but would probably be a little too small for most people. 2 racks of ribs about the size of a farmers hand each were really nice. The meat came away lovely. The 4 onion rings were just that and the slaw (their spelling not mine) was bland and to my taste inedible.

The beer was ok.

I knew the prices before I entered. I paid the money before I ate.

I paid 19.55. This is way off. If I was being generous to the restaurant I'd part with 15quid. If I was being generous to myself I'd pay 12. Either way this place is charging about 25% above what it worth.

The place started filling up while I was eating and by eavesdropping I could tell that at least 3 tables of 4 were return customers. That's great news for a business; and fair play to them. Customers were in the early to mid 20's bracket.

The decor is very nice, the service very good and the food is as reasonable bbq can be.

The price is utterly mental.

And I forgot to get my free ice cream.

Had the ribs today and I honestly think they were boiled, wasn't impressed at all.

Still haven't had the ribs in bison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How much were the ribs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hootanany wrote: »
    How much were the ribs?

pittbros_zpsf964ca07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

My bf and I went there on a Thursday after work; it was very busy and we waited to get seats and then we waited for 45 minutes for our food.
    We left hungry and wouldn't go back in a hurry.

The reason people love BBQ in the states is simple.

Good BBQ in the states is tasty, quick service, big portions and cheap.

I can't say Pitt Bros fits those criteria in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What the heck is bone marrow mash? :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mashed potato with bone marrow in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's what I figured, but for the love of God, WHY????

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's what I figured, but for the love of God, WHY????

Because bone marrow tastes bloody amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 fatleomessi

The bone marrow mash is just really a tiny portion of mashed potato with gravy!

The bone marrow flavour seems to get lost in the mix somewhere :(

A shame really because the menu looks so good on paper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

went on Saturday night and was a bit disappointed. ordered the ribs and it was a tiny portion-looked liked a kids meal when I was expecting a half rack at least.they weren't particularly tender either.Called a server and complained about the size and he brought me out some more but seemed surprised that I was complaining.The rest of my party seemd happy with the brisket and pulled pork though.Beans were ok,corn on the cob was a bit tasteless and soggy.Beer selection is decent.Don't go expecting a Man vs food experience

Advertisement