Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pitt bros

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

So scabby portion's same as Bison

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I went last week for lunch and had pulled pork in a bun and macoroni cheese as a side. It was ok, just ok. The mac cheese was not ok. It was watery and full of salt and i LOVE mac cheese and this was way under par even if it was a microwave version. I was so looking forward to going but was left disappointed.

The service was good, it was quiet and the food arrived quickly (though my pork was only slightly warm- wasn't actually sure if it was supposed to be that way though!) There were long strips of raw onion in the bun too which was a little unexpected.

The ice cream was the best part i'm afraid. Big thumbs down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

I was unaware that Bison Bar existed, will have to try that next time, mainly because of the price. I went to Pitt Bros shortly after it opened, did think it was quite steep, but the bun brisket was delicious, sauces were nice. Sides were a let down though, hardly any chips and the mac and cheese was pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I reckon that BBQ places are so thin on the ground in Ireland that places are taking some shortcuts and hoping that the novelty of the food/experience will mask the inadequacies.

BBQ is simple with big flavours, I've had the ribs in Bison and they were just ok, from reading about this place it seems the same, just ok. If you are only doing 4-5 items on a menu you would be expecting the quality to be higher imo. Even if they want a simple menu, it could be a little more imaginative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hootanany wrote: »
    So scabby portion's same as Bison

In fairness to Bison, I got the "platter" with brisket and pulled pork and onion rings and chips as the sides and I was fit to burst when I was leaving, was a lot of food, granted it cost €16 or something like that, but it was a massive portion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Seaneh wrote: »
    In fairness to Bison, I got the "platter" with brisket and pulled pork and onion rings and chips as the sides and I was fit to burst when I was leaving, was a lot of food, granted it cost €16 or something like that, but it was a massive portion.

I don't know I got the same in Bison Bar but with pulled pork and ribs and again was still hungry and I'm not a big lad by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm a huge fan of slow cooked meat in general but neither Bison Bar or Pitt Bros tick the box in terms of value or taste.

Aussie Bbq for me is much better not because the food is much better it is a bit imo but in terms of value for money and leaving full it is. Just don't go late at night service and quality of food does seem to detiorate. But for eleven euro can get a meat box with chicken, beef Burger, pulled pork and pork sausage and be full after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There last night, portion sizes scabby although the ribs were nice, prices too high. ****e music blaring, and stools that somehow manage to be really hard to sit on without feeling like it's going to fall to bits any second.

Very underwhelming, Bison was much nicer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think the common denominator here, as far as scabby portions in both places goes, seems to be ribs.

Maybe they are just being scabby with ribs? Because when I got the Brisket+pulled pork combo in Bison I was barely able to finish it, where as when I got the ribs in pitt bros, it was a pretty small portion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think the common denominator here, as far as scabby portions in both places goes, seems to be ribs.

I've had the same experience with the ribs - got a half ribs/half brisket platter (Bison) and the ribs side was uber-scabby and not particularly meaty. However got brisket with 2 sides (fries & beans) and wasn't able to finish it. I don't have a dainty little appetite either, I normally don't have much of a problem finishing any sized portion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Anyone been in here lately?

Thinking of heading in Saturday night with herself but the comments above have me a bit concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I love the place, I normally treat myself and have the 3 meats and two sides to myself for 19.99. Brisket and pulled pork are by far the best, I double up on brisket or sometimes get chicken, with beans and slaw . (very Paleo :) )

Try the sauces on the table, the spicy one gives a great kick

The wine is decently priced but the beer in my opinion is expensive, and this racks up the price. But I generally dont drink when im there and more in the mood for fast food bbq than a sit down meal. They have large glass bottles of water you can take to your table.

I normally have more than one ice-cream, I believe its all you can eat. No one has ever said anything to me anyway ( Not very paleo :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cheers.

I've been looking at the Aussie BBQ Site, menu looks much more impressive and better value for money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Haven't tired Aussie BBQ it but I have heard good things. Might check it out this weekend too.

I think if you treat Pitt Bros for what it is, fast food BBQ you will enjoy it. But I wouldn't say its a great place to bring someone for "dinner".

Anyway hope you have a good one with the gf.

Enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Cheers.

I've been looking at the Aussie BBQ Site, menu looks much more impressive and better value for money too.

It is shockingly bad. Think of it as a dodgy takeaway rather than a semi gourmet food spot.

Thomas D wrote: »
    It is shockingly bad. Think of it as a dodgy takeaway rather than a semi gourmet food spot.

In your opinion ;) I'd have Aussie BBQ everyday of the week over Pitt Bros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

In your opinion ;) I'd have Aussie BBQ everyday of the week over Pitt Bros.

+1 I love Aussie BBQ, don't mind Bison Bar but I thought that Pitt Bros was awful. Couldn't even taste the meat because of some awful sauce all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Yes it is I agree. The Aussie BBQ has been awful both times I tried it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I'm loathe to quote Harbo but his review pretty much sums up my experience. Menu read great but it was cheap and nasty.

http://lovindublin.com/reviews/cafe/spitroasted-down-under-aussie-bbq-dublin/

Each to there own but you wrong :p

Food is nicer and not over priced if it was cheap and nasty as you say it wouldn't always be full or nor would they have two spots open ;).

As I said earlier avoid late at night as food does drop in quality much the same as any place that is open them hours and draws large crowds of dunks.

I find the food in Pitt Bros bland and over priced for what it is, they just use clever marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Aussie BBQ is an absolute kip

a step below the hotdog stands on stephens green

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Each to there own but you wrong :p

Food is nicer and not over priced if it was cheap and nasty as you say it wouldn't always be full or nor would they have two spots open ;).

As I said earlier avoid late at night as food does drop in quality much the same as any place that is open them hours and draws large crowds of dunks.

I find the food in Pitt Bros bland and over priced for what it is, they just use clever marketing.

McDonalds is also always full and has lots of outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm loathe to quote Harbo but his review pretty much sums up my experience. Menu read great but it was cheap and nasty.

http://lovindublin.com/reviews/cafe/spitroasted-down-under-aussie-bbq-dublin/

Having read that, my hatred increased 10 fold.

Junior cert level stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

IMO Bison wins!

McDonalds is also always full and has lots of outlets.

Yea but unlike Mc Donalds I can get a meal of high quality meat, high in protein and not full of simple carbs.

Each to there own but as I said before it takes two servings in Pitt Bro or Bison Bar for me to feel satisfied and if I'm going to spend that much I'd much rather go somewhere like the Butcher Grill and add a few Euro and get an amazing steak or even cook my own brisket or pulled pork which can be made easily and with more flavour than anything I've had in Pitt Bros

Advertisement