Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent place in waterford to eat for 80e including drinks?

Options
  • 18-10-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Looking for a (what appears to anyway :p) upmarket place to eat out tomorrow evening.

Two people and I'm looking to get a bottle of wine/two drinks in for the price as well.

It's a nice occasion, so looking for a nice place. I know the budget isn't high, but I'm a poor student at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

McCleary's in High Street might fit the bill, think it's €21 for starter, main course and tea/coffee. Bottle of wine for circa €20 too so maybe get a second one in or a couple of desserts or drinks!! Lovely place, lovely atmosphere, great grub and run by two sound local lads. But usually heavily booked at weekends so best ring asap!! Lots of choices now though, seems it took a recession to see a boom in quality, value and choice in Waterford restaurants! Ironic really, pub scene suffers and restaurants prosper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Cant go past L Atmosphere Restaurant - they do an fab €20 3 course and glass of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

La Palma is lovely and also do an early bird for around 20/25, or Bodega. A lot of places might already be busy so worth ringing to see where's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 7vens

I would have to say Mc Leary's also. I was there a few weeks ago and it was fabulous. 2 starters, 2 mains and a bottle of Prosecco for €67!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭ding_dong

McCleary's in High Street might fit the bill, think it's €21 for starter, main course and tea/coffee. Bottle of wine for circa €20 too so maybe get a second one in or a couple of desserts or drinks!! Lovely place, lovely atmosphere, great grub and run by two sound local lads. But usually heavily booked at weekends so best ring asap!! Lots of choices now though, seems it took a recession to see a boom in quality, value and choice in Waterford restaurants! Ironic really, pub scene suffers and restaurants prosper!

Looks great.......alas they are booked. Earliest appointment is 5pm. grrr!

Anyone else got a great suggestion? Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

sillysocks wrote: »
    La Palma is lovely and also do an early bird for around 20/25, or Bodega. A lot of places might already be busy so worth ringing to see where's available.

Bodega have a slow food menu for €29, good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

La Boheme has lovely French food and its very classy. I really like Bodega, though. Lots of character and the food is always amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

McLearys every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

+1 for L'Atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

La Boheme - market menu 4courses 30E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

Bodega for me. I love that place and the food is bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

7vens wrote: »
    I would have to say Mc Leary's also. I was there a few weeks ago and it was fabulous. 2 starters, 2 mains and a bottle of Prosecco for €67!

Especially if you like starters from the 1980s!

L'Athmosphere, Bodega and La Boheme...

La Palma and Emilianoes too.

For even cheaper and yum, look at Chez Ks

mozattack wrote: »

Can't beat it. Where else will you get steak included on an early birth for €19.99. And the best customer service you're likely to see in a restaurant anywhere. That's why the two lads are booked out weeks in advance. They must be doing something right.;)

There are other restaurants which can only be described as serving what's best described as pretentious, high-priced samples. But hey - you keep paying - they'll keep charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Cant believe nobody mentioned Kafe Karma on the Quay, very reasonable menu and the food is delicious plus a great atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Retro dishes are making a comeback, egg mayonnaise, florida cocktail, sherried grapefruit and prawn cocktail remind me of the comedian Micky Flanagan recalling dates in the 80's ;)

7upfree wrote: »
    Can't beat it. Where else will you get steak included on an early birth for €19.99. And the best customer service you're likely to see in a restaurant anywhere. That's why the two lads are booked out weeks in advance. They must be doing something right.;)

There are other restaurants which can only be described as serving what's best described as pretentious, high-priced samples. But hey - you keep paying - they'll keep charging.

They are doing good 'cos so many dopes go out and get the same crap every night, "steak, well done please". That is why and that is why Garlic Mushrooms or Ceasar Salad or Vol-u-vents are exciting to some.

deisemum wrote: »
    Retro dishes are making a comeback, egg mayonnaise, florida cocktail, sherried grapefruit and prawn cocktail remind me of the comedian Micky Flanagan recalling dates in the 80's ;)

I agree if done in a different way, re-invented, e.g. I was with someone who had chicken kiev in Campagne in Kilkenny but it was modernised.

They are doing good 'cos so many dopes go out and get the same crap every night, "steak, well done please". That is why and that is why Garlic Mushrooms or Ceasar Salad or Vol-u-vents are exciting to some.

Nope. They are doing well because they are two nice guys who know how to treat customers well, and who serve food which is appealing to those customers.

As I said, I'm sure there are people who, insanely, want to pay top price for pretentious food and if that's the case good luck to them.

Lastly, a minority of people hate to see locals getting on for whatever reason. I say good luck to them. A job well done. I think the Trip Advisor reviews speak volumes for the place.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186638-d1986578-Reviews-McLeary_s-Waterford_County_Waterford.html

Nope. They are doing well because they are two nice guys who know how to treat customers well, and who serve food which is appealing to those customers.

As I said, I'm sure there are people who, insanely, want to pay top price for pretentious food and if that's the case good luck to them.

Lastly, a minority of people hate to see locals getting on for whatever reason. I say good luck to them. A job well done. I think the Trip Advisor reviews speak volumes for the place.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186638-d1986578-Reviews-McLeary_s-Waterford_County_Waterford.html

This is the same tripadvisor who has Harlequin as number 2 in Waterford.... that says it all. Ha-ha... Michelin star on its way!!!

• Advertisement

Also what is your definition of "pretentious food"?

Also what is your definition of "pretentious food"?

Over priced, low volume.

This is the same tripadvisor who has Harlequin as number 2 in Waterford.... that says it all. Ha-ha... Michelin star on its way!!!

Now you're being pedantic!:D

Over priced, low volume.

Where though, is Cliff House Hotel, Campagne or Old Convent any of the said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

80's starters are all the rage at the moment prawn cocktail, Mellon and ham etc. are on all the faddy food shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Definite thumbs up for harlequin, often forgotten about as its out of the way and 90% of Waterford probably doesnt know it.

Is it time to ban the use of the phrase 'says it all' in this forum, reason being its overuse by the naysayers. I think it should be binned along with people doing finger inverted commas and the word 'twerking' 'twerk'.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Definite thumbs up for harlequin, often forgotten about as its out of the way and 90% of Waterford probably doesnt know it.

Is it time to ban the use of the phrase 'says it all' in this forum, reason being its overuse by the naysayers. I think it should be binned along with people doing finger inverted commas and the word 'twerking' 'twerk'.

Where IS Harlequin Max? I hadn't heard of it until now.

Max Powers wrote: »

Harlequin is average... can never understand the buzz about it on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

+1 If you go out for dinner you want a dining experience not something you can do at home yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

The last time i spoke about McLearys i was accused of being a PR man for them but if you just want some simple wholesome fair and if foie gras cuisine isn't your thing.Then McLearys is the place for you.I mean like the food and value is great and to top it all off the two owners are so welcoming and accommodating towards their customers.They really do go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and happy.So there you are begrudgers there may be a recession but it hasn't stopped these two lad's from operating a thriving and successful business.A lot of restaurant owners from around the country could do with learning from the way they do things in McLearys.

Advertisement