Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent place in waterford to eat for 80e including drinks?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

The last time i spoke about McLearys i was accused of being a PR man for them but if you just want some simple wholesome fair and if foie gras cuisine isn't your thing.Then McLearys is the place for you.I mean like the food and value is great and to top it all off the two owners are so welcoming and accommodating towards their customers.They really do go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and happy.So there you are begrudgers there may be a recession but it hasn't stopped these two lad's from operating a thriving and successful business.A lot of restaurant owners from around the country could do with learning from the way they do things in McLearys.

Well said. +1 to all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Saw an ad outside the Tower the other day , where you can get a 4 course + bottle wine for €59.95

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I'd give McLeary amiss if I were you, you'd make better at home. On saying that if tinned tuna in a wrap is your thing then you wont be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 7vens

Since when did this thread become 'slate McLeary's'? The OP asked for suggestions for places to eat. Instead a lot people would rather give out about 1 particular restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

7upfree wrote: »
    Where IS Harlequin Max? I hadn't heard of it until now.

Patrick street

• Advertisement

I'd give McLeary amiss if I were you, you'd make better at home. On saying that if tinned tuna in a wrap is your thing then you wont be disappointed.

They must be doing something right though. They're booked out weeks in advance.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

7upfree wrote: »
    They must be doing something right though. They're booked out weeks in advance.;)

One Direction sell out but does that make them good or Westlife for that matter...

Good luck to them if their punters want food I had for my Communion and are happy to go out and pay for that pub grub in a restaurant.

I would say they are very good hosts and deserve a break though.

mozattack wrote: »
    One Direction sell out but does that make them good or Westlife for that matter...

Good luck to them if their punters want food I had for my Communion and are happy to go out and pay for that pub grub in a restaurant.

You sound very bitter towards them for some reason? Two local lads, very good at what they do, serving food that obviously appeals to the majority, and, above all, at the right price.

Sounds like they are two very astute businessmen who are extremely conscious of good customer service also. You can see that attitude coming through in all of their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I agree if done in a different way, re-invented, e.g. I was with someone who had chicken kiev in Campagne in Kilkenny but it was modernised.

Or to use the buzz work deconstructed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

The danger about threads like this is that somebody who might benefit from a competitor being subjected to negative comments can cut loose in an over the top manner. If you had a bad experience there or the menu is not to your taste fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. But to be so dismissive of a hugely successful local venture because you dislike the menu makes your opinion largely irrelevant.

For me, a restaurant experience involves far more than just the menu. The quality and the choice of food, the ambience, the atmosphere, the location, the service, the value and for me, the notion of supporting enterprising, enthusiastic and frankly very decent local people contributes to the whole package! These are my own criteria and for me, McLeary's ticks all the boxes. But, each to their own I suppose, but I certainly won't be dissing any other of the quality restaurants around, and there are many, we're spoiled for choice right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If i may chime in, I have been to McLearys 7 times in the past 2 years and not once have i had a bad experience with the staff- they are very friendly and helpful and know their stiff when it comes to the wine list. Is the food the best I have ever had? Nope. but for a decent evening out with a lovely atmosphere I wouldnt go past it. My only flaw? You ring them up and order a table for four at 7pm, the very first thing they say is "No problem but you have to be gone by 9pm", well thats fine but you could have waited a tad before letting me know that, leaves a bit of a bad taste with me.

These are my own criteria and for me, McLeary's ticks all the boxes. But, each to their own I suppose, but I certainly won't be dissing any other of the quality restaurants around, and there are many, we're spoiled for choice right now!

In a nutshell. It is great to see such choice on offer. People have their favourites, and McLearys would be at the top of my list. And many others.

Saw an ad outside the Tower the other day , where you can get a 4 course + bottle wine for €59.95

I tried that offer in the Tower twice. The first time was so-so. The second time was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

mclearys steak house on high street, the lads do top quality grub and are very reasonable priced. TOP NOTCH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

billywilly wrote: »
    mclearys steak house on high street, the lads do top quality grub and are very reasonable priced. TOP NOTCH

Never heard of them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

If i may chime in, I have been to McLearys 7 times in the past 2 years and not once have i had a bad experience with the staff- they are very friendly and helpful and know their stiff when it comes to the wine list. Is the food the best I have ever had? Nope. but for a decent evening out with a lovely atmosphere I wouldnt go past it. My only flaw? You ring them up and order a table for four at 7pm, the very first thing they say is "No problem but you have to be gone by 9pm", well thats fine but you could have waited a tad before letting me know that, leaves a bit of a bad taste with me.

Can't agree with you wouldn't rate it at all, the food was disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭billywilly

Never heard of them ;)

is that you chicken ?

Advertisement